Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I'm looking for a good GPS solution for my Treo 650, and need to justify the cost (~$300 for a Treo-based solution) vs. ease-of-use and power of a Garmin nuvi or TomTom-based hardware solution.

thanks!
    -josh
    No single thread. But if you search for GPS or for Tomtom or for Garmin you'll find a lot of usefull posts.....
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    The messages from November were helpful but really don't compare the Treo 650 (with its small screen and the TomTom 5.1 software) to dedicated devices.

So... has anyone recently compared the Treo 650-based GPS with Garmin nuvi (350 or forthcoming 360) or TomTom 700 (or upcoming 910) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    I'm looking for a good GPS solution for my Treo 650, and need to justify the cost (~$300 for a Treo-based solution) vs. ease-of-use and power of a Garmin nuvi or TomTom-based hardware solution.

thanks!
    -josh
    I can only talk about the one I just bought last week. The TomTom Navigator 5 USA + OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver. http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-navi...mount-490.html. At $194 it is a great product. I am extremely pleased with it. In such a short period of time I have started adding additional POI's such as traffic cameras and speed traps in the DC/VA/MD area. Right now it beeps everytime I approach one of those areas. I am working on replacing the beeps with actual verbal notifications such as "traffic camera, 100 yards". The GPS is extremely accurate and since it has the SiRF Star III chip, it does not take long at all to lock on the satellite. The big advantage I see is that I can take it with me at any time since the GPS fits in my pocket.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    The twelveblackcodemonekeys.com site compares the two major players (tomTom and Mapaopolis) and the link is referenced in numerous threads here on TC. After reading it and many other comparisons most of us have chosen the TomTom package.

Your next choice will be to decide whether you want a BT devcie or ne built into the car cradle. If you plan to use while walking, the BT model is the betetr choice. If you want to uae in a vehicle, the GPS in cradle option has many advantages.

1. Less clutter, wires, things to carry.
    2. BT GPS receiver battery life = 17 hours, Treo = 4-5 hours. So charging cradle necessary for longer trips.

The Treo Central reviews page has great reviews on both.
    Bottom line on the navigation systems for Treo is that if you want one, you're not done spending money. You need a GPS for it too, right? What else? A separate memory card? Wiring? Dual cigarette lighter plugs? Do you wind up needing a suitcase to carry everything around in?
    The one I bought came as a bundle (software/GPS). You do not need a separate memory card (at least for TomTom) as long as you have a large one. No additional wiring. The bundle came with everything needed. I already had 3 cigarette lighter plugs so I could plug in the Treo, FM Transmitter, and kids toys. But you can get those very cheap. The beauty of all this is that I can put the Treo in one pocket and the GPS in another. Nothing else to carry.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by jg3arrow
    Bottom line on the navigation systems for Treo is that if you want one, you're not done spending money. You need a GPS for it too, right? What else? A separate memory card? Wiring? Dual cigarette lighter plugs? Do you wind up needing a suitcase to carry everything around in?
    As above, kit can be as small as:

Treo charging cradle w/ built in GPS and power cord
    Mounting hardware
    Software

All comes as one "kit" in G2350S or G4850M (CDMA only or ya lose BT headset capability)

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...TS&Category=48
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=20

The only thing I would add is a vehicle specific mounting plate from proclip.

I have 4 or 5 ciggie lighter plugs but my Treo and accessories only use up one unless I need to power / charge the Treo, GPS Cradle & BT Headset at same time.

And to the original OP, there is no single thread on GPS options cause peeps keep starting new ones
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The palm GPS kit has everthing you need and works very well. If it had SiRF III reciever it would be perfect, but the included unit does pretty darn well.
    I use TomTom Nav 5, tried Mapopolis but just could not stand the interface.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I can only talk about the one I just bought last week. The TomTom Navigator 5 USA + OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver. http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-navi...mount-490.html. At $194 it is a great product. I am extremely pleased with it. In such a short period of time I have started adding additional POI's such as traffic cameras and speed traps in the DC/VA/MD area. Right now it beeps everytime I approach one of those areas. I am working on replacing the beeps with actual verbal notifications such as "traffic camera, 100 yards". The GPS is extremely accurate and since it has the SiRF Star III chip, it does not take long at all to lock on the satellite. The big advantage I see is that I can take it with me at any time since the GPS fits in my pocket.
    I like this deal. Which mount did you get? Did you order from this site? never heard of it before. Does the map software get updated frequently? When will you have to pay to update the software? a year? 2? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machx
    I like this deal. Which mount did you get? Did you order from this site? never heard of it before. Does the map software get updated frequently? When will you have to pay to update the software? a year? 2? Thanks
    1. I didn't get a mount. I already had a ProClip mount for the Treo. So the GPS sits almost on the floor of the car...out of sight.

2. Yes. I used this website. The service was excellent.

3. I am not sure if TomTom has a yearly update. Their last update was Dec. 05 if I am not mistaken.

4. Most likely they will charge for the update. The 2004 update was $53.00 according to their site. I would assume that prices could change.