Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have one push email account online with Chatter at pretty much all times. When I choose to have Causerie operate in the background via SMS(yes, SMS - NOT data), and exit, it never lets go of the active data connection. Now, if I go into Chatter and take my mailbox offline the problem goes away(I have 'disconnect if all mailboxes offline' enabled within Chatter's connection preferences). Otherwise, the data connection will stay active(and my phone will heat up, as well as ALL of my calls going to voicemail) until the battery goes dead. I really like Causerie, but this thing is a deal-breaker for me, as Chatter is one of my favorite apps. However, I'm not sure which app is more to blame on this one. They both work fine independently of each other, but when used at the same time all hell breaks loose. Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by ShannonElements; 04/02/2006 at 06:33 AM.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Hi Shannon,

I decided to evaluate Causerie as well and see the identicle symptoms as you. I tend to think that it is a socket issue and Causerie is not cleaning things up properly based on your and my SMS experiences. Anyway, I opened a ticket with Causerie support on 3/23/06 and am waiting to hear back on it. They claim that their dev department will get back to me by 4/3/06. Just so you know you are not alone, seems to be a big bug and should not be hard to recreate. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Best,
    Rory
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. Good to see I'm not the only one. I suppose an answer should be coming soon, as tomorrow's the 3rd...

I'll cross my fingers.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Hi,

I am a representative from mantragroup - you can try the latest version from http://mantragroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

In our forums - we had this issue with a user reporting problem with chatter and causerie - the user reported that he was able to fix it with upgrading the Chatter matrix library and with the latest Causerie version 3.2.3. Refer http://mantragroup.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=35 for more details on the complete thread - http://mantragroup.com/forums/showth...hp?t=54&page=4 - you can see the sequence of posting regarding this issue and the solution.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Dev Team.
  5.    #5  
    Update: I chatted with a support person over at Causerie today, and he/she straight-up told me that Causerie doesn't 'support' ChatterEmail(whatever that means). They also said that there MAY be a fix in a future version, and that if I used Chatter and Causerie at the same time, that my data connection would never go inactive. This person also seemed to be masking quite a bit of contempt for Chatter.

Kalyan - thank you for trying to help. I'm sure that this problem is probably just as much to blame on Chatter as Causerie, but as it stands now, ChatterEmail is one of the darlings of the Palm OS community. If you're going to force people to choose, it isn't hard to guess who they're going to side with. I'll be using Verichat until some kind of fix is released. Thanks.
    I don't know what they were smoking, but I run the latest ChatterEmail (and, yes, the latest ChatterMatrix SSL lib) and Causerie 3.2.3 without problems. Causerie has got some definite bugs around the SMS implmentation (esp 2-way), but we're told that a new version is in QA now.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I don't know what they were smoking, but I run the latest ChatterEmail (and, yes, the latest ChatterMatrix SSL lib) and Causerie 3.2.3 without problems. Causerie has got some definite bugs around the SMS implmentation (esp 2-way), but we're told that a new version is in QA now.
    Maybe my problem is that I'm not using the Matrix SSL(because I don't need it). But yeah, the rep straight-up told me that if I use Chatter and Causerie at the same time there'd be problems(even going so far as to TELL ME that the data connection would never go 'inactive' - even though I already knew that!). The basic vibe that I got from the rep was that I had to choose one or the other, but that I couldn't have them both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Maybe my problem is that I'm not using the Matrix SSL(because I don't need it). But yeah, the rep straight-up told me that if I use Chatter and Causerie at the same time there'd be problems(even going so far as to TELL ME that the data connection would never go 'inactive' - even though I already knew that!). The basic vibe that I got from the rep was that I had to choose one or the other, but that I couldn't have them both.
    Then they're full of crap. Check out the Mantragroup forums... there are a few of us in there who are users of both Chatter and Causerie.

As for your Matrix item... do you use SSL to connect to any of your mailboxes? Do you run Chatteremail in the background? If you answer yes, then it's suicide not to be using Matrix. The reason is that the native SSL library in PalmOS has serious problems running in the background. That's why Marc licensed Matrix for use with Chatter.
  9.    #9  
    Then they're full of crap. Check out the Mantragroup forums... there are a few of us in there who are users of both Chatter and Causerie.

As for your Matrix item... do you use SSL to connect to any of your mailboxes? Do you run Chatteremail in the background? If you answer yes, then it's suicide not to be using Matrix. The reason is that the native SSL library in PalmOS has serious problems running in the background. That's why Marc licensed Matrix for use with Chatter.
    Yes, I run Chatter in the background, but I don't use SSL(don't need it). I don't have any problems with Chatter, however. Very stable. I wonder if I can demo Matrix SSL...
    I too have a few background with SSL (matrix library) mailboxes running. I get the active data connection from Causerie whether running in the app or in the background, data or SMS mode. Causerie seems like a descent program in concept, but will not work for me if my battery drains in 1/2 a day and all my calls go to VM. Although it is like having a hand warmer in winter so that is a nice feature

I am still waiting for Causerie support to get back to me on a ticket opened on 3/23 regarding the issue. They keep claiming they will get back to me in a couple days which never seems to happen. Just a reminder that no matter how good a product is, if the support isn't there it can make your decision much easier. Glad to hear somebody is able to run it in conjunction with Chatter without any issues. Too bad it seems like Shannon and I are striking out.
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that the support were not that responsive to your issue. I am one of the core developer of Causerie and I can assure you that the latest version is rock solid than any of our previous builds (please refer our mantragroup forums for proofs).

I know many users, including members of TC (like JayTee, taroliw) who use ChatterMail and Causerie together without any problems. As far our testing goes - we used the latest Matrix SSL update (it is a must as Chattermail also causes problems with other apps that require background mode - refer chattermail forums regard to this) - the solution is to use the matrix SSl upgrade to use their custom SSL library which has improvements over the Palm's native library.

Kindly be informed that we are working on tonnes of new features to Causerie, like true Always ON (compare with other apps), Encryption, 2-way SMS (we are improving over it), and new features like online archiving (will be released soon that you never miss any of your messages). Also note we are known for faster bug fixes than any other product.

Please try it out and let us know in here or at mantragroup forums.

Regards,
    Kalyan
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    I am still waiting for Causerie support to get back to me on a ticket opened on 3/23 regarding the issue. They keep claiming they will get back to me in a couple days which never seems to happen. Just a reminder that no matter how good a product is, if the support isn't there it can make your decision much easier. Glad to hear somebody is able to run it in conjunction with Chatter without any issues. Too bad it seems like Shannon and I are striking out.
    Sorry about your experience with our support - we get a lot of support requests regard to mobiVoIP, mobiLock also and the support team processes like 150 tickets a day - sure they will get back to you at the earliest.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Regarding the battery drain - you can perform a simple test to see if really causerie is the culprit.

1] Disable causerie or any app that runs in background - just turn your connection ON and leave it for 1 hour - note the battery drain %.

2] Now run only causerie in background with the connection ON for 1 hour - note the % battery drain.

Can you report the difference - in our tests - they were same - it is the normal battery drain due to connection being maintained ON. We used GPRS and notes a 2% drain.

Please do report in here your findings. Also mention your connection details.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kalyan
    Quote Originally Posted by kalyan
    Sorry about your experience with our support - we get a lot of support requests regard to mobiVoIP, mobiLock also and the support team processes like 150 tickets a day - sure they will get back to you at the earliest.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Regarding the battery drain - you can perform a simple test to see if really causerie is the culprit.

1] Disable causerie or any app that runs in background - just turn your connection ON and leave it for 1 hour - note the battery drain %.

2] Now run only causerie in background with the connection ON for 1 hour - note the % battery drain.

Can you report the difference - in our tests - they were same - it is the normal battery drain due to connection being maintained ON. We used GPRS and notes a 2% drain.

Please do report in here your findings. Also mention your connection details.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kalyan
    Hi Kalyan,

Thanks for the response. If I shutdown Causerie and Chatter and nothing is running in the background, I lose 1-2% per hour. Run Chatter alone in background mode (matrix SSL) it drains about 5% per hour depending on my e-mail load. Run Causerie and it drains about 16-18% per hour. The connection arrows remain green, all calls go direct to VM, and my Treo gets very hot. I get the same 16-18% drain whether Causerie is running with Chatter or by itself. This is on a Sprint 1.13a Treo 650 connecting in an area with 2-3 bars of reception. Causerie seems to run normally in background mode if I disable Chatter, but just like Shannon, Chatter would easily win out if I have to decide between the two. As a note, Verichat does not have any conflicts in either SMS or data mode when running alongside Chatter. Any help is appreciated.

Best,
    Rory

P.S. - Case EJT-36927 if you can/want to check for more details on the issue. Thanks!
    Rory,

Out of curiosity, in Causerie Miscellaneous Prefs, what is the Poll Every drop down list set to. I bet setting polling to somethng less often might decrease battery drain and might free up your data connection for incoming calls (although GSM handles this much better)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Rory,

Out of curiosity, in Causerie Miscellaneous Prefs, what is the Poll Every drop down list set to. I bet setting polling to somethng less often might decrease battery drain and might free up your data connection for incoming calls (although GSM handles this much better)

Hi Scott,

I have tested different settings and even at 5 minutes it sucks my battery. It appears as if Causerie gets in a stuck state regardless of the polling setting. But yes, I immediatly lowered the setting to see if it changes the behavior. Thanks for the idea though.

Best,
    Rory
    I have tested different settings and even at 5 minutes it sucks my battery. It appears as if Causerie gets in a stuck state regardless of the polling setting. But yes, I immediatly lowered the setting to see if it changes the behavior. Thanks for the idea though.
    "Stuck state"? Do you use Yahoo and/or notice that any of the IM service icons continue to blink like they're logging in? That happens periodically with Yahoo lately, and the client never times out... it just keeps trying to connect endlessly. If left to spin along, this could result in keeping your data connection up over long periods.
    "Stuck state"? Do you use Yahoo and/or notice that any of the IM service icons continue to blink like they're logging in? That happens periodically with Yahoo lately, and the client never times out... it just keeps trying to connect endlessly. If left to spin along, this could result in keeping your data connection up over long periods.
    I have only sporadically used jabber for google talk and AIM over the past couple weeks due to the battery drain if I leave anything online. Both appear to be logged in just fine and I did not see any indication that it was an authentication issue. You know what would help here? A client side log to see what my Treo is doing (hint hint)

Best,
    Rory
  18.    #18  
    OK. So I reinstalled Causerie 3.2.3(for like the 4th time, no less), to do a little testing. First thing I did was was shutdown & disconnect Chatter. I then set up Causerie with an alternate Yahoo! persona(also for testing), enabled 'always on', set it up for SMS, set polling for every 10 minutes, logged in, enabled background operation and notification via SMS, and exited. It did NOT let go of the active data connection(not even for a moment). And this was without Chatter running(which has confirmed for me that this problem is a Causerie problem - NOT a Chatter one). I then started Chatter up, and then after my mailbox went online, I took it 'offline'(and because of a setting I have selected in Chatter, disconnected the data connection). So at that point Chatter was offline, and I didn't have a data connection. I then proceeded to IM myself from my laptop to my Causerie account, and the message DID come through via SMS(and data stayed disconnected). So it was working. I then brought Chatter back online, and - lo and behold - no problems. I thought I had figured it out. I then logged out and exited Causerie, logged back in, and then put it back in the background notifying me of new messages via SMS. It was still working. I was getting excited. I tried the same process one more time, and BOOM I was right back where I started. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why exactly this is happening, but I really don't think it has much(if anything) to do with Chatter. Something else worth noting is that when Causerie won't release the active data connection, and I IM myself from my laptop, the IM's get to my phone MUCH quicker(almost instantaneously, actually) than when data is disconnected. It seems to me that even though I've selected SMS notification, when Causerie's hanging on to that data connection it's using data for notification instead. But like I said, this is happening indepently of Chatter, so I don't see how upgrading to Matrix SSL is going to help. And like rsprouse, I have no problems running Chatter and Verichat at the same time(other than Verichat's occasional crashes...which is exactly what brought me to Causerie. *sigh* I guess the search for the perfect chat client continues.
    Last edited by ShannonElements; 04/05/2006 at 10:51 PM.
    Hi Kalyan,

Thanks for the response. If I shutdown Causerie and Chatter and nothing is running in the background, I lose 1-2% per hour. Run Chatter alone in background mode (matrix SSL) it drains about 5% per hour depending on my e-mail load. Run Causerie and it drains about 16-18% per hour. The connection arrows remain green, all calls go direct to VM, and my Treo gets very hot. I get the same 16-18% drain whether Causerie is running with Chatter or by itself. This is on a Sprint 1.13a Treo 650 connecting in an area with 2-3 bars of reception. Causerie seems to run normally in background mode if I disable Chatter, but just like Shannon, Chatter would easily win out if I have to decide between the two. As a note, Verichat does not have any conflicts in either SMS or data mode when running alongside Chatter. Any help is appreciated.

Best,
    Rory

P.S. - Case EJT-36927 if you can/want to check for more details on the issue. Thanks!
    Hi,

Sure I will look into your support ticket today. Can you do me one more favor - can you test the battery drain with Cauerie alone - during night that you will not get any calls/switch between networks (switching between networks in CDMA[travelling] will drain the battery as I know is known to poll for new settings) - this figure should be very indicative for our fixes.

Also I notice this is a problem with CDMA and not GSM devices. When I enquired with some GSM users and in our tests (we use Cingular GSM) - there is no enormous battery drain. As pointed by scotty - setting lesser polling should help you.

Thanks for your interest in Causerie. Sure we will build a version with logs that will help us understand the issue better.

Regards,
    Kalyan
  20.    #20  
    I upgraded to Chatter Matrix SSL, and that didn't solve my Causerie problems(just as I suspected). When I run Causerie by itself I have problems. Maybe it's a CDMA thing? Well, considering that MOST treo users use CDMA, I hope you guys are working on a fix.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast