1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this topic - might be considered "general", but I am thinking about getting my on domain and having it hosted at 1and1.com for as little as $1.00 a month - 1gb of storage and both IMAP and POP and up to 5 email addresses. There is also a $3/mo option that would give me some web pages. Seems like a good deal to possibly drive Chattermail with an IMAP account. I was wondering if:

1- anyone here was using 1and1 or similar service.
    2- if so and you have your own domain, is an odd domain better than something with your name in it? Seems for spam and security - and the fact that I am no one famous and thus no need to protect my "cyberspace", an odd domain (maybe just numbers - or some generic name) would be beneficial for personal email.
    3- Any other suggestions, comments, etc. on this subject.

Thanks,

cT
    Last edited by carolinaTex; 04/01/2006 at 05:19 PM.
    1) Check this thread: http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...ewtopic&t=1170

2) Domain is irrelevent. Spam prevention largely depends on the systems setup to block it out. Using something like admin@yourdomain.com (or something very common like carol@yourdomain.com) will likely get you spammed by robots attempting random addresses.

3) If you are worried about push with with Chatteremail look in the first thread then contact whichever provider you look at for any knowledge of Chatteremail and the idle implementation of their servers.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    I use Everyone.net for my personal domain name hosting and could not be happier. They offer both IMAP and POP3, great spam protections, web based email interface and all at a resonable price.

FYI, the email service that Marc Blank offers is hosted through Everyone.net
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I use Port Eighty for my web/email hosting. And their email service works great with Versamail.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I registered using Dotster and host with Dreamhost.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the suggestions and insights everyone. LP-Trel - I have read through that link - lots of info there. I need to post a question there as Chatter does not really say "why" 1&1 is not stable and that was August -I wonder if things have changed.

I have a forwarding setup now where my POP accounts are forwarded to an IMAP account that has cPanel - I am tagging on to my work server which I get from a friend. I am still using Versamail - which has an IMAP option. However, my files are not syncing with the server folder even though I choose that option - the Treo files do not show up on my PC. Is this Versamail, my provider or maybe something I have not set up correctly - or any/all of the above?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    Thanks for the suggestions and insights everyone. LP-Trel - I have read through that link - lots of info there. I need to post a question there as Chatter does not really say "why" 1&1 is not stable and that was August -I wonder if things have changed.

I have a forwarding setup now where my POP accounts are forwarded to an IMAP account that has cPanel - I am tagging on to my work server which I get from a friend. I am still using Versamail - which has an IMAP option. However, my files are not syncing with the server folder even though I choose that option - the Treo files do not show up on my PC. Is this Versamail, my provider or maybe something I have not set up correctly - or any/all of the above?!?
    1and1 is known for using what they like to use and might even use a modified version of an IMAP daemon. If their software doesn't support idle then Chatteremail won't support push.

Depending on the forwarding the attachments may not be forwarded along. It will largely depend on the email server forwarding. cPanel with Exim should forward the files along just fine if you ever want to use that feature.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't subscribe to threads very often.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting