1.    #1  
    This is my first post, but I have already searched without much luck. I have downloaded a program to unlock my GSM cingular Treo, but in the instructions it states that I need to use the sync button on the USB sync cable, as well as the reset button on the back of the 650 to get the treo into boot mode. This is part of the unlocking process.

The sync cable that I have does not have the sync button on it, so I am not certain how I can place the treo into boot mode. Anyone have this problem before? TIA.
    do you have a cradle? the sync button on there should do the same thing, although it may be hard to get to the reset button while docked.
    What service provider do you have, if you have Cingular, give them a call and tell them that you want to unlock ur phone. it takes about two days. The good thing is that you will be given a code and you dont have to put your phone into any painful process. I called them and they gave me the code the day after, all you have to do is just enter the code ans baaaang your Treo is unlocked.
  4.    #4  
    I don't have the cradle, and the phone is a cingular, but I purchased it used. They won't give me the unlock code unless I have a cingular account active, whether or not it is on that particular phone (I already tried three times). Being that I am in Canada, I do not have cinfular service available to me. I may have to borrow a friend's cradle or sync cable to do this.
    You are NOT going to unlock the subsidy code by doing anything with the firmware, period. Putting the unlocked firmware on it just means it's the generic non-branded firmware, not that the phone sim is unlocked.

It cannot be done except with an unlock code, period.
  6.    #6  
    I know that I need the unlock code, and that is what I am trying to do. There are many places online now where you can get your treo unlocked through a server. The problem is getting the treo into boot mode, that is all.
    Unfortunately you'll need the sync cable to put it into test mode (with the rainbow screen). pick up a cable from a wireless store/ best buy / whatever. they're not that expensive. then return it when you're done <wink>
  8.    #8  
    Never even thought about that. I'm guessing that they would be less than $20 anyways. I'll have a look. Thanks! Kind of odd that my USB cable does not have the sync button on it.
    Do you know anyone with a T650 or other recent Palm? I've seen some other devices that appear to have compatible cables (including the hotsync button).

Lots of people I work with have T650's.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Try this. Bring up hotsync on the Treo itself with yourable connected. Hit Hotsync on the screen and it should accomplish the same thing as hitting the button on the cable.
    The reason for putting the phone in boot mode is to read the IMEI number
    off your phone, via the USB cable, to your PC and to the unlock code
    website via the Internet.

Without the cable what would be the purpose of putting the Treo in boot
    mode? (with regard to this unlocking issue being discussed here)

Or am I missing something?

- mvk
    Game over!
  12.    #12  
    You're right GreenHex: I am trying to get the IMEI number of the phone, to unlock it. i really don't want to screw anything up, so I just purchased an OEM sync cable. This way I'll have an extra one, and, at $.99, it was a good deal (Ebay). I'll just have to wait another week or so before I can use the program to unlock the phone.
    Why not just get it from phone info? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Why not just get it from phone info? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    Sure... but the unlock client software (on your PC) <-> server (somewhere on
    the internet) is set-up to work that way... You need a USB driver and client to
    connect between your Treo and the server. The subsidy unlock code is
    displayed in the client window after all the communication stuff happens.

Maybe there exist unlock services where you can email you IMIE number...

- mvk
    Game over!
  15.    #15  
    This particular server requests that the phone be connected Via the USB sync cable, and thus I can't unlock the phone otherwise. I already paid the $22, so I will just have to wait I guess.
    There is a service that only requires your IMEI number. You simply mail them your IMEI and they email you back the unlock code which you key in. Its here http://www.gsmphonesource.com/reunforcipat.html. At $30 its more expensive than the ebay one though.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Do you not have the original cradle and its cable?
  18.    #18  
    No Cradle, purchased the phone used and it came with a different sync cable and charger than what is original.
    Quote Originally Posted by bergin
    This is my first post, but I have already searched without much luck. I have downloaded a program to unlock my GSM cingular Treo, but in the instructions it states that I need to use the sync button on the USB sync cable, as well as the reset button on the back of the 650 to get the treo into boot mode. This is part of the unlocking process.

The sync cable that I have does not have the sync button on it, so I am not certain how I can place the treo into boot mode. Anyone have this problem before? TIA.
    All the hotsync button does is connect 2 pins on the connector. Search for pinout information and you can just jump the pins with a fine wire or sharp tweezers.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    All the hotsync button does is connect 2 pins on the connector. Search for pinout information and you can just jump the pins with a fine wire or sharp tweezers.
    This thread makes me laugh

It was a simple question, but it's taken #19 posts before someone has answered the question.

Well done nonobeez
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway