View Poll Results: Which email application do you use for your Treo?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Versamail

50 24.39%
  • Chatter

103 50.24%
  • Snappermail

38 18.54%
  • Other (Please specify)

19 9.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    The reason I like Snappermail better than Chatter follow below but I am determined to give Chatter a shot because looking at this thread and the poll results, Chatter is by far the most popular amongst you all, so I am guessing that I am doing something wrong.

Chatter locks up on me frequently when it starts to retrieve email but I need to make a quick phone call. There is no "Cancel" button unlike with Snapper. It eventually releases the "lock", but it takes about 2 minutes, which is annoying.

Also, it doesn't keep my "Recenetly deleted mail" like Snapper does with a line through it indicating they are deleted. And there is even the Ghost Messages option, which I don't currently use but it's nice to know that it exists.

Snapper is also great with attachments. It asks you where I want them saved to and it does it very reliaibly.

One thing I don't understand what one or two posters said about bugs in Snappermail. Mine never crashes, locks up, nothing. In fact, I am stunned at how consistent and smooth it works. What are these bugs and in what scenario would they creep up?

Finally, and this will sound like a newbie question. What exactly is push email? I thought Snapper had it as it continously checks for new messages and syncs my AOL mail, once again, very reliably. Push seems to be another feature then.

Thanks for any input. I want to make a decision as to which email application to get soon.
    If those bugs never happen/affect you and push is not your concern, Snapper is indeed a better program in many ways. I do like it more than Chatter, but one of the bugs, the one that breaks message header, is too bad for me to use it. Because of this bug, my reply messages written in Chinese are not readable. The developper has confirmed this bug and he said last night he'd send me a new patch.

Another life-cretical bug is self-destruction of the message database. If your Treo crashes and you have to reboot it by pushing the reset botton, or nothing happened but this morning, all the messages in Snapper may be gone. To make things worse, the database is still there and you have to use FileZ to delete it. This has happened to me at least 4 times within a year.

Push means: when a message arrived on your mail server, it goes right to your phone. The phone does not have to check mail periodically.

Many people here paid $60 or more for Snapper, and then $70 or more for Chatter ($40 + $30 OWA for true push, because many server does not support idle). How crazy is this? Plus $$ for Xiino, $$ for PDANet, $$ for goodlink, $$ for Verichat, $$... The total cost on software alone is more than a new Windows Mobile phone which comes with all the software for free.

So, stop wondering between Snapper or Chatter, go WM, all your problems solved. Now I understand fully why Palm made the 700W. If they were not facing death, they would not have had to go WM.

With a WM and live.mail2web.com, not only is email pushed to your hand, so are contacts, calendar and tasks. All for free, no any initial nor monthly fees.
    I have used Snapper for the past year. I upgraded to Snapper premier, because it allowed "backing up emails to card." Not really. It keeps a backup of emails in an obscure file that you restore from, but doesn't save straight to card. Chatter edit-I had accidently put Snapper here automatically puts attachments on the card and can also save new email straight to the card rather than using precious ram. The interface takes a little getting used to, but overall, I have pretty much decided to change over. Because of this thread and several by Marc about some of his update, I have been trying chatter for a week now, and will definitely change over.
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 04/17/2006 at 05:22 PM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    With push email your phone never has to check for new messages. The server simply 'pushes' the messages to your phone. It's great.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  5.    #45  
    Alright, several of you posted that Snappermail has a bug where the header is "cut off"...Either I don't know what I'm looking for or it's not happening to me but why wouldn't it would be the next logical question.

Thanks...
    I use chatter & versamail...

versamail pros
    attachment handling
    interface

chatter pros
    true push email
    alerts
    love being able to reply to a email while using another app
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I used to use the AOL for Treo 600 software. That seemed conveniant since it included the email program as well as the AIM software and all for $19.99.

That was the biggest waste of money ever. 5 way support was missing, requiring you to constantly have to touch the screen, very bad for IMing, just too annoying. You couldn't leave it on and running in the background as it would crash and lock up on you.

I've moved on to Chatter for email and Toccer for AIM and it's been a perfect combo for me.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    I chose other as my preference is for Rogers MyMail. Reasons are wide support for mail services such as Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino as well regular IMAP and POP3 e-mail accounts. While it has it's benefits such as easy set-up and configuration both with the online service and configuring the device it still needs improvement such as support for Hotmail. Though it's nice to find that Rogers MyMail does work with major ISP such as Shaw to provide remote access to important mail while away from the office/home computer anytime, anywhere in the world.
  9.    #49  
    Alright, I'll re-ask the question:

Several of you posted that Snappermail has a bug where the header is "cut off"...Either I don't know what I'm looking for or it's not happening to me but why wouldn't it would be the next logical question.

Thanks...
    I used Snapper for the last year and never experience that bug, or at least, that I know of......
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Definatly have to say Chatter, has been the best experiance with the Treo 650 that I have had yet! Hands down! The biggest reason that I am keeping PalmOS cause Chatter is just an excellent email app, with great features and the support is fantastic!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Happy Goodlink user.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Happy Goodlink user.
    GoodLink. Interesting. That's more for business users, isn't it? Would I be able to use it for private emails as well?

Thanks...
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    GoodLink. Interesting. That's more for business users, isn't it? Would I be able to use it for private emails as well?

Thanks...
    It is primarily a corporate solution (my company uses it), but I think there are places that will host an exchange email account for you, and then make it goodlink accessible.

Do a search. Here's one thread... there are others:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...odlink+hosting

If you just want access to an existing mailbox, the other solutions mentioned here are probably better. Certainly less expensive.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    It is primarily a corporate solution (my company uses it), but I think there are places that will host an exchange email account for you, and then make it goodlink accessible.

Do a search. Here's one thread... there are others:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...odlink+hosting

If you just want access to an existing mailbox, the other solutions mentioned here are probably better. Certainly less expensive.
    GoodLink comes with the Treo, though, so how is it expensive?

Also, will it only work for MS Exchange server?

Thanks...
    GoodLink does not come with the Treo, though you are correct in that it currently only works with Exhcange and you have to have access to the Exchange server to set it up.
    No XpressMail users? On my Cingular Treo it works great. A couple of months ago it had a problem with long delays in bringing the Treo out of sleep mode after receiving email, but that has resolved. It does everything I need it to do. I get my corporate email on it as soon as the email arrives on my PC.
    I also use VersaMail just on the weekends to get my GMail. I subscribe to a birding listserve and I need to get that info while out in the field. During the week I just check it on my PC at work, but on the weekends the format is cleaner to see in VersaMail than in m.gmail.com. So I set my synch preferences to receive mail every 2 hours on Sat and Sun only. I get anywhere from 30 to 80 emails each time, and VersaMail does the job for me. Especially since I don't have to reply to any of the emails
    Laurie
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    GoodLink does not come with the Treo, though you are correct in that it currently only works with Exhcange and you have to have access to the Exchange server to set it up.
    It could of come with the member's software update which included additional software provided by the carrier. For example when I updated "Treo650-1.20-ROW" to "Treo650-1.20-ENA" for Rogers Wireless subscribers my device after the update included Rogers MyMail (http://www.shoprogers.com/business/w...ces/mymail.asp). This was due to customer feedback interested in having a free real-time push email service provided for enterprise and private sector customers of smartphone devices other than RIM Blackberry service.
    Chatter, for one reason: background sync. Oh, and i hate versamail (crashes even more often than chatter!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    It could of come with the member's software update which included additional software provided by the carrier. For example when I updated "Treo650-1.20-ROW" to "Treo650-1.20-ENA" for Rogers Wireless subscribers my device after the update included Rogers MyMail (http://www.shoprogers.com/business/w...ces/mymail.asp). This was due to customer feedback interested in having a free real-time push email service provided for enterprise and private sector customers of smartphone devices other than RIM Blackberry service.
    Actually, you can't because GoodLink has a required server component.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast