1.    #1  
    This is going to sound weird but i recently upgraded from Treo270 to Treo650 and did what palmOne's site said about getting the data into the new Treo650 with renaming the "Backup" folder to "BackupOld". That works fine and all is well.

I just hard reset my Treo270 yesterday and now want to put back just the contacts, memo & calender to my Treo270. I rename the newly made "Backup" folder to "BackupOld2" and did a sync but half way during the sync to the Treo270, it says Fatal Error and it's always at the "Capabilities" part.

Question - Anybody know how i can put these data back to my Treo270. I don't need the programs. Just the contacts, calender & memo. In fact....i don't need the memo and calender but what's most important is my contacts. Any advice will be good.
    I wonder if the new 650 desktop conduits are not 270 compatible?

Does the 270 accept beaming?

Beam your PIM data back:

Select Beam category within each app, then select all -- and beam away.

Are you going back to the 270 -- or just want it loaded with the PIM data for a backup? You gotta set up a new user id. (one for the 650, one for the 270.)
    Despite palm's advice, everyone here will tell you a hoysync upgrade is always a bad idea.....doesn't work from 600-> 650, so I really don't think it gonna work from 270-> 650. The procedure below works for a 600->650...not sure that older 270 dat files are even compatable. Before you do step 14, make sure all your old programs are OS5 / 650 compatable.

http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php

Procedure for upgrading from one Palm Device to Another:

1. Synch old Treo for last time.
    2. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username] and copy the entire folder somewhere else just to be safe.
    3. If your old Treo stuff is in C:\ProgramFiles\Palm install new Treo 650 Palm Desktop to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne
    4. Hard Reset your new 650.
    5. Hotsync new 650
    6. Install ROM Update
    7. Copy the following files:

address.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\address to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\address
    memopad.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\memopad to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\memopad
    todo.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\todo to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\todo
    datebook.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\datebook to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\datebook

8. Hotsync ... RTFM and use the phone this way for 3-7 days to make sure no issues. Download latest versions of all your programs in menatime. Get Dataviz tech tool.
    9. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager to track your program installations.
    10. Install PowerRUN or an equivalent to move programs to card.
    11. Install Dataviz tech tool to move Docs2Go to card
    12. Install Programs from Palm CD ... one program at a time...that is one program per HotSync
    13. Again use for 3-4 days to look for problems.
    14. Go thru your programs list and rank programs from small and uncomplicated to big, heavy memory users. Any hacks or programs that require they be installed in main memory best left to last. Again one program per Hotsync so UM can track what files go in with what program. Only reasoning here is that you can probably get away with installing 6-7 small , simple programs per day whereas something big or which ties into system calls should be left to last and be installed alone. This will better enable you to diagnose any conflicts.
    15. Install a few programs per day making sure no problems have surfaced, again starting with smallest/simplest to largest/most complicated.
    16. If you can manage, I'd leave biggies like TomTom, EDGE, Snapper /Chatter to last and install those last few 1 program a day.
    17. If at any point problems kick up, you can easily retrace your steps with UM to find the offending program.
    18. Make sure you have a backup progam installed. Check Best Utilities thread for listings and url's.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106786
    19. This shoulda been listed earlier but any programs that tie themselves to a specific device will need new registration numbers.
    20. Delete the OLD [B]C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\ directory not the new PalmOne one you just created.

Jump back on TC with any questions and search the threads for answers. Most issues have been addressed previously and answers should be "ready and waiting" on the boards.
  4.    #4  
    Thanx JackNaylorPE & gtwo for the reply. I have 2 mobile numbers so one will be on my Treo270 while the other Treo650. I never thought of beaming the contacts over and that sure is a good idea. I managed to beam my whole contact list over to my Treo270 in about a minute and to think there are about a thousand contacts with full address Glad it did not take took long. Well....the only problem now is that if you beam to another phone....it only goes into one category unlike how i arrange it from Business to personal and family and so on. Small problem but thanx for the advice. Problem solved.

Oh....i forgot to mention that if i was to hotsync with the change of files as mention by JackNaylorPE, the Treo270 still gives me fatal error. Guess it does not work on the Treo270 probably due to files format different or something like that.

Also, is the UM you mention good? What is the full name for it and what version is it at? Compared to Destaller, is it better cos i need to get a good UM. Don't know which one to pick. Advice would be great.