1.    #1  
    Every so often my Treo seems to lose all application registration codes and generally behave very strangely. The only way to fix this is by doing a hard reset and restoring from my SD card. Could anyone please offer any insight?
    Sometimes your "Saved Preferences" file gets corrupted. To fix it, you don't need to do a hard reset. Instead, just restore your Saved Preferences" file from your most recent backup. That should fix the problem.

I don't know what causes this problem.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    search for synchbeforereset.prc or prefdoctor.prc around here
    Treoing & Loving it
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both for the replies. I have just installed prefdoctor, hopefully that will do the trick.
    i use the synchbeforerest hack and I have lost the pref only once since dec 05 which is impressive in my book
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    Every so often my Treo seems to lose all application registration codes and generally behave very strangely. The only way to fix this is by doing a hard reset and restoring from my SD card. Could anyone please offer any insight?
    Just for the heck of it, what third party applications do you have installed?
  7.    #7  
    I have quite a few, although in my defence I do use all of them......

Agendus
    Butler
    BackupBuddy
    CallRec
    Chatter
    Clicker
    Clipper
    ClipPRO
    DTG
    eReader
    FileZ
    Handy Shopper
    Hi-Launcher
    KB LightsOff
    mVoice
    Quick News
    Quickipedia
    Snapper
    SplashID
    Splash Money
    Splash Photo
    Splash Shopper
    TCPMP
    Thought Manager
    TrafficStat
    TreoAlarm
    Uninstall/Cleanup
    WorldMate
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    When I tried searching for synchbeforereset.prc and prefdoctor.prc all I found was this thread.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    PrefDoctor is a life saver,

Look at the bottom of the page

HERE

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemck
    When I tried searching for synchbeforereset.prc and prefdoctor.prc all I found was this thread.
    PrefDoctor is a beta listed as "probably buggy" by author" from Hobbyist Software. You can d/l and read aboout syncbefore reset here:

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/FileManage...2+01%3A31%3A10
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    I have quite a few, although in my defence I do use all of them......

Agendus
    Butler
    BackupBuddy
    CallRec
    Chatter
    Clicker
    Clipper
    ClipPRO
    DTG
    eReader
    FileZ
    Handy Shopper
    Hi-Launcher
    KB LightsOff
    mVoice
    Quick News
    Quickipedia
    Snapper
    SplashID
    Splash Money
    Splash Photo
    Splash Shopper
    TCPMP
    Thought Manager
    TrafficStat
    TreoAlarm
    Uninstall/Cleanup
    WorldMate
    No need to be defensive My *guess* is the problem lies with Butler. I know many people swear by this application, and I love the features (I'm a registered former user), but once I install it (any of the last 4 releases), my device resets within 20 minutes (sometimes just sitting on my desk). Once I hard reset, restore all my preferences and reinstall everything except Butler, I run reset-free for weeks.

I have had forum exchanges with Rob over on mtdn, and he attributes it to a basic POS issue. There may very well be an inherent issue with POS, but in my case, Butler significantly exacerbates the problem. There is a rumor out there that if 2 applications fight to control the LED, you will almost assuredly see a reset. Certainly Butler has the feature to control it (and is one of the Butler features I like).

The cynic in me also finds it interesting that Butler and prefdoctor were written by the same person.

The idea is not to be inflammatory of Hobbyist at all, but to share my experiences and thoughts.