Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Shame on Palm for engineering into the Tre650 the crappiest headset jack available.

All of you out there looking to buy a stereo headset for your device, it doesn't matter if they are mono, stereo, name-brand or use a 2.5-to-3.5 converter . Whatever you plug in there *WILL eventually* cause the jack to "break" and keep your Treo in "headset mode" forever, muting all sounds coming out of it regardless of the mute-switch's position. The design is such that the smallest of knock/pull/tug/jar/bang will render your headset useless. What crap !

Sure, there are hacks to add a real 3.5mm stereo jack or bypass the headset mode switch, but shouldn't the creme-de-la-creme of Palm devices ship out of the box with a decent stereo headset jack that doesn't break so easily?
    Agruably yes it should ship out with a better jack however I don't think you can really make the argument that the jack will go bad for everyone.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I don't think you can really make the argument that the jack will go bad for everyone.
    True. That is why I have posted another thread asking forum members how they use their Treo as MP3 players, and whether or not they have ever "tugged" too hard at the fragile connection:

How do you listen to MP3s on the 650?

I'm curious to find out if by using it as my MP3 player at work sitting on my desk, I "abuse it".

Artologik
    That's why I have the insurance on my Sprint 650. I haven't heard anyone mention if they're improved the jack on the 700 series.
    I have never actually plugged anything into the jack. To me the 650's best feature is BT which kinda makes the jack like having a serial / parallel port on ya PC .... Good for legacy stuff but better options available.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have never actually plugged anything into the jack. To me the 650's best feature is BT which kinda makes the jack like having a serial / parallel port on ya PC .... Good for legacy stuff but better options available.
    What BT headset are you using? I have a Moto H500 from my previous phone and it, well, su*ks! Horrible connection - can't use it at all.

Also - I have starting using my 650 as a MP3 player. I got one of those little Seidio stereo HS connector dongles. It seems to work fine, but I am cautious for evident reasons.
    I've been using the adapter and a few days ago, I couldn't get it to work, the music came out of the speaker.
    I hope it's the adapter, so I ordered the Palm hybrid headset. We'll see how that works.
    If it is the Treo's jack, do I have any options?
    Use this
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=227

You may need this if the music still comes out of the speaker (for either the above or into the audio jack)
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=39
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    That's why I have the insurance on my Sprint 650. I haven't heard anyone mention if they're improved the jack on the 700 series.
    Probably improved on the 700... The hardware B 650 is improved, but I did fix one the other day on a 2 week old phone that I know was well taken care of.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Guess, I'll be bringing her to the local VZW store for a look see. Still have a month til the warranty runs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

Yes, BT is great for the phone part, but if you want to listen to MP3's, etc. you need to use the jack with headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Yes, BT is great for the phone part, but if you want to listen to MP3's, etc. you need to use the jack with headphones.
    Unless your BT headphones support A2DP and you purchase Softick Audio Gateway
    http://softick.com/bluetooth-audio/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Yup, what da crash dummy said
    You can learn a lot from a dummy
    :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The VZW tech says it's the headphones, not the jack.
    Right, my old headphones used with an adapter have worked fine for 10 months and now that's the problem.
    Never mind the fact I told him I tried unsuccessfully the Palm branded set with the built-in adapter.
    I'm buying that Seidio doohickey that plugs into the hot synch port.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    The VZW tech says it's the headphones, not the jack.
    Right, my old headphones used with an adapter have worked fine for 10 months and now that's the problem.
    Never mind the fact I told him I tried unsuccessfully the Palm branded set with the built-in adapter.
    I'm buying that Seidio doohickey that plugs into the hot synch port.

Make sure you get the audio coupler:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.a...WPROD&ProdID=39

I bought the audio adapter, and the sound still comes out the phone speaker... I use it on a 700, not sure how it performs on the 650..... Just a heads up in case you should have any problems....
    So you may need both of those, rather than just the hotsynch-cable-type adapter? Does it come with bigger pants pockets?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I use my headset jack all the time for my 2 in 1 headset. I also use it with the fixed and the flexible adapter to drive a regular 3.5mm headset. I couldn't begin to count the number of times that the plug has been ripped out of the jack. Through all of this, my Treo works just fine. I've had my Sprint Treo 650 for about 6 months. Let's hope that it stays good.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    So you may need both of those, rather than just the hotsynch-cable-type adapter? Does it come with bigger pants pockets?

Not sure, but I think I need them both.... I still hear sound coming from the phone, and I have used ALL of my headsets ( from crap to high end ). I saw that the solution to this problem was to buy the coupler. I don't understand why this would not just be incorporated in the one I got, " the doo hickey that plugs into the activesync port", and it's not addressed on the website for the product that it won't work correctly, but hey, at least were keeping Seido in business...
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    You can learn a lot from a dummy:-)
    I used that line a lot on my students when I taught at Polytechnic University.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast