Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    The VZW tech says it's the headphones, not the jack.
    Right, my old headphones used with an adapter have worked fine for 10 months and now that's the problem.
    Never mind the fact I told him I tried unsuccessfully the Palm branded set with the built-in adapter.
    I'm buying that Seidio doohickey that plugs into the hot synch port.
    Try these babies

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ntronics_590a/
    Quote Originally Posted by aferm
    Make sure you get the audio coupler:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.a...WPROD&ProdID=39

I bought the audio adapter, and the sound still comes out the phone speaker... I use it on a 700, not sure how it performs on the 650..... Just a heads up in case you should have any problems....
    I ordered this.
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=227
    Yeah, that's the one I ordered... sound still comes out of the phone's speaker...I hope that new coupler will fix this problem. All this to avoid the problems I had with my 650's jack. I just hope that it doesn't look ridiculous with both of these things attached to the phone. Is there something out there that fixes this problem WITHOUT both attachments, and works as promised?

Thanks in advance!!

Well, I just got it and guess what -- it didn't work -- sound still comes out of the back speaker.
    What else could it be?
    Is it software?
    A setting (preferences)?
    Hardware?
    Do the geniuses at Palm know about this?
    You may need this if the music still comes out of the speaker (for either the above or into the audio jack)
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=39[/QUOTE]

Patchs,

I ordered this one... It should arrive by Monday. I will post to let you know if it fixed the problem....
    OK,so I checked my mailbox, and lo and behold the package from Seido with the coupler was there. I connected them both to my phone, and......IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!!!

Not only that, It looks ridiculous when both are connected to the phone. I have attached a picture.

All I want is to hear my audio and see my movies without bothering those around me.... Does anyone know what will work with my 700? I am really trying to avoid using the jack on the phone itself, as I have had problems with it before.. Is this really as big a deal as it is becoming? Yes, I understand that it says 650 on the item description, but I thought it would work just the same...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OK,so I checked my mailbox, and lo and behold the package from Seido with the coupler was there. I connected them both to my phone, and......IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!!!

Not only that, It looks ridiculous when both are connected to the phone. I have attached a picture.

All I want is to hear my audio and see my movies without bothering those around me.... Does anyone know what will work with my 700? I am really trying to avoid using the jack on the phone itself, as I have had problems with it before.. Is this really as big a deal as it is becoming? Yes, I understand that it says 650 on the item description, but I thought it would work just the same...
    For $50 plus shipping I can fix your existing jack... a permanent fix that will not fail in the future. I can also add a 3.5 mm audio jack in the antenna ($100) and if you do not plan on using a 2-in-1, I can also add a coupler internally.

check my links in my signature for more into to the fixes... excluding the internal impedance fix.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I forgot the cardinal rule of fixing a problem.
    Reset.
    It works!
    Now I have the Palm earphones and the Seidio adpater.
    I'll keep the Seidio because I like the snug fit.
    The Palms are going back.
    Why didn't I think of resetting before?
    Try it Aferm.
    Last edited by patchs; 04/08/2006 at 08:02 PM.
    I forgot the cardinal rule of fixing a problem.
    Reset.
    It works!
    Now I have the Palm earphones and the Seidio adpater.
    I'll keep the Seidio because I like the snug fit.
    The Palms are going back.
    Why didn't I think of restting before?
    Try it Aferm.
    Do you have a 650 or a 700?
    Do you have a 650 or a 700?
    I just want to make sure I'm clear on things before I go off and purchase Motorola's HT820 bluetooth stereo headphones. Does the Treo 650 support A2DP? That is a requirement of these headphones if one wants to use them to listen to MP3s stored on the Treo650 (or SD stick in the Treo650).

Cables
    A2DP is a requirement for stereo music over BT.

Treo 650 does not support A2DP "out of the box". You need the following 3rd party software to add A2DP to the Treo:

http://softick.com/bluetooth-audio/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Shame on Palm for engineering into the Tre650 the crappiest headset jack available.

Whatever you plug in there *WILL eventually* cause the jack to "break" and keep your Treo in "headset mode" forever... The design is such that the smallest of knock/pull/tug/jar/bang will render your headset useless.
    Right! This reminds me of the early days of the Walkman (anybody else
    remember those days?) when one required to fiddle with the jack-socket
    to get both speakers of the headphones going. Finally, almost all
    manufacturers DID manage to get the socket design right.

Surely, there are some wheels that palm does not need to re-invent!

- mvk
    Game over!
    Though I currently have not encountered the jack problem
    in my (rather) new Treo, I'm quiet concerned that this could
    happen at some time or the other and would like to prevent
    it from happening.

There seem to be two reasons for the problem:
    • The soldering between the jack and PCB working loose
      due to mechanical stress. This is due to poor design as
      all external forces are transferred to the solder joints.

• The change-over switch (part of the socket) losing its
      tension and not making contact. This is due to poor choice
      of materials for the socket contacts.

So my question to nonobeez:
    Would it help if we put a cylindrical shim (cardboard) in the annular
    gap (approx 0.3 mm) between the socket housing and the Treo casing?

Better still, bond the jack in position using the shim as a filler. This
    may not be desirable, in case something needs to be disassembled at
    a later date.

Thanks and regards,

mvk
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I have a brand new replacement Treo 650. In one month, 2 headsets-- a Seidio stereo headset and a Plantronics headset-- have failed. Neither requires an adapter.

After a few weeks of use, there was a crackling sound; they worked for a brief time after that if you put pressure on the jack and held then in place; and after a few hours they failed completely.

For the past 2 days, I have been able to use another headset-- and it hasn't failed yet. I took the Treo to Sprint and the technician didn't see a problem with the headset jack and said it was common for headsets to fail-- especially with the Treo 650.

However, in the 15 months I used my previous Treo 650- no headset failed.

Is it possible that the Treo is shorting the headsets. Obviously-- I am not an EE. And is there any solution other than convincing Sprint to take it back if a 3rd headset fails.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12