1.    #1  
    I had Adobe installed. Today, I uninstalled it (I am using Destaller Lite right now) from the 650 and installed PalmPDF during the same sync. When completed, my touchscreen was dead - just the touch part. The 5-way worked. I did a soft and warm reset - no luck. Did a hard reset and it came back (thanks to Resco BU, no problems!). I am assuming that this PalmPDF/Adobe scenario caused my problem since everything else has been working ok. Since Adobe has to sync back to the PC to work, is there something else I need to do to nuke it?
    Delete it off the Treo and the PC. Make sure the Adobe Conduit is deleted or disabled. I think this gets done if you uninstall the software off the PC. It has been a while so my recollection is getting hazy.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I've just removed Adobe using the standard launcher's delete menu item. It works fine for me. From time to time an Acrobat-file reappears during hotsync, I then just delete it again. When you use the Adobe conduit and PalmPDF 1.2 (which comes tonight I hope) you will be able to view the files from adobe, when stored on the card. The adobe-conduit does a good job in making them smaller :-)

Regards
    Henk
    Seriously, what do you (all) use the Adobe PDF Reader for? It came with
    my Treo alright, but I always viewed it as a curiosity. It is slow and irritating
    to use and actually view any meaningful content. Even the Treo manual is
    not small-screen enabled (if there is such a thing, but that would go counter
    to the PDF "philosophy").

- mvk
    Game over!
    The Adobe program modifies the PDF file making it smaller and more easily loaded by the Treo. It can come in handy for example to keep things handy. I used it for example to keep copies of all my Palm / Program user manuals on the Treo. I also use it to keep copies of :

Train Schedules
    Ferry Schedules
    Professional Society Membership Application and Instructions
    Contacts Lists for National and State Societies

If there's any web page that you often go to for reference, that doesn't change too often, to save time and data, you can print the page to a PDF and store it on the Treo.

I design wastewater treatment facilities and I also keep a copy of the O&M Manuals on the Treo so that when I visit a site, if i need any info on any equipment, it's right in my pocket.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, I too can imagine the need for a pdf reader for business docs - as well as some general documents that would be nice to store on the card.

I uninstalled Adobe from the PC and then from the 650 and all is working ok. I am going to try PalmPDF later on.
    PalmPDF is now updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Seriously, what do you (all) use the Adobe PDF Reader for? It came with
    my Treo alright, but I always viewed it as a curiosity. It is slow and irritating
    to use and actually view any meaningful content. Even the Treo manual is
    not small-screen enabled (if there is such a thing, but that would go counter
    to the PDF "philosophy").
    So, is PalmPDF the better reader? I have used Adobe's reader in the past and it's been alright. I guess it's still good to use their reader that shrinks/removes images/etc?

I see you're from India. Neat. I've been there but not where you were. I guess the huge gaps between rich and poor you live in a nicer area?

Update: I just installed PalmPDF, maybe my settings aren't set-up yet but it seems Adobe's Palm reader works better. (In the context that it's much easier to read with the a pdf book of "the game" i've tried in both).
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 05/10/2006 at 03:56 AM.
    Try to open the Acrobat-converted PDF with PalmPDF: copy the file form the internal memory to the SD-Card, /PALM/Launcher/. Use PalmPDF to browse to this directory and the file should appear in the browser. Open it. Now you can search, zoom etc. all with the smaller file your got from the acrobat-converter.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    So, is PalmPDF the better reader?
    The reader that I currently use is PDFtoGo (unfortunately, not free).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    I see you're from India...

I guess the huge gaps between rich and poor you live in a nicer area?
    Fortunately or unfortunately I live in a middle-class kind of
    area... it can get depressing, though I've lived all my life here.

(Pune is 140 Km from Mumbai (Bombay))
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    I cannot get pdf ebooks to load into reader hotsync box, says the file doesn't have the standard security encryption or something like that- any help?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Regular PDF's I use Card Export II
    Adobe PDF's I use the Adobe desktop companion program.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens
    I cannot get pdf ebooks to load into reader hotsync box, says the file doesn't have the standard security encryption or something like that- any help?
    Have you used the PC Adobe Reader to "Send to Mobile Device"? Many ebooks are protected and the license needs to be verified before they can be copied/transferred.

I am also having a problem with protected ebooks. I can pass them through the Adobe Reader for Palm desktop to my Treo but the reader app on the Treo hangs when I attempt to use them. I don't get any error message. I have read several ebooks previously without a problem but now the new books I just downloaded won't work on the Treo (they are viewable on the desktop). Unprotected .pdf docs seem to work ok on the Treo. Does PalmPDF work with protected ebooks?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Does PalmPDF work with protected ebooks?
    Well, I installed PalmPDF to see if it would solve my ebook problem. Unfortunately it didn't. I did get an error message though "Error--PDF version 1.6, XPDF support....". The rest of the message runs off the screen and can't be read. PalmPDF doesn't seem to have much support info for errors, etc. Too bad, it looks like a nice app otherwise.