1. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    well i've gone and got myself a smartphone.

i suffered with motorola's crappy hmi long enough (v710) and have a treo on the way via fedex. why now? well my mot phone address is out of bandwidth. it only holds 500 entries and is almost full. my TX, on the other hand has over 4000 numbers and I never again will be faced with which numbers are in which device.

phone history:

1 - awful awful qualcomm analog thing - ugh.
    2 - motorola flip analog phone - mediocre hmi
    3 - nokia digital - att (nicest phone hmi i ever used)
    3 - motorola "timeport" - tmobile - mediocre hmi horrible radio performance
    4 - motorola v60 - decent hmi but tiny unreadable monochrome display
    5 - motorola v710 - nice readable display but the worst hmi i have ever used - literally designed to get you killed if you are trying to use it while driving.

6 - soon - treo 650

expected/projected usage:
    #1: handsfree phone. using the handsfree profile with the bluetooth handsfree kit in my car. the treo 650 supports the handsfree profile, right? within 5 minutes of delivery/charging/activation i will be pairing it with my car.
    #2: phone. yes, just a phone but with 4,000 addresses bluetooth'd over from my palm TX. no more entering phone numbers twice: once in the TX and again using the agonizing v710 interface.
    #3: ebooks. i expect to be able to read ebooks when i don't happen to have my tx with me.
    #4: email and web. using pay as you go, i expect to grab email only when needed on the road. it will be nice to be able to pull over on the highway and grab email (headers only) then download only the hot ones that have to be responded to today . if this gets to be a habit, i suppose i will switch to a data bundle plan but for now its just a phone with a big address book.

i had to go through verizon to get a treo 650 without a camera. i looked for months on ebay and nobody was ever sellin' em, so i plunked down the big bucks. no lobby security guard should confiscate my phone when i show them there isn't any camera. it's really hard to find a bluetooth phone without a camera these days, on verizon at least. for me the treo 650 is the only way to get a bluetooth phone without a camera without resorting to blackberry or windows mobile. i don't consider myself a true smartphone customer, so having palmos and all my contacts and calendar on my phone is just a bonus. the verizon lady kept offering me the 700w. ugh. puke. yuck. i don't need no more stinking windows man. been there. done that. even if there were no problems with the 700w i would choose palmos due to personal preference. i'll post back when i get the phone.
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    To reply to your one question (BT handsfree profile), yes, the 650 supports the profile. It doesn't play nice with all cars, though. This has improved through various ROM upgrades, but ultimately it depends on which car or aftermarket BT kit.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    WELCOME !!

What service carrier? You will be surprised how fast a per kb plan eats you alive.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/29/2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Here's some threads to read:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...46&postcount=3
    Covers a move from one Palm devcie to another.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...50&postcount=3
    Discusses what you can do while waiting for FedEx.

As for the camera thing, most joints stopped selling them as you can just slap some white out over lense or use a vinyl skin over opening.

Best bet would have been for you to walk into local "all carriers store"....always been cheaper, shorter contracts and more "extra services" than on line in my experience and I bet they coulda got ya one on any carrier assuming that carrier offerd it and they are still in stock somewhere. One store reported they got their last shipment of Sprint 650's. Of course the salesperson coulda been a bonehead .

Also check this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106786
  5. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    well it arrived. it took WAY too long to set up. versamail installation failed. some mumbo jumbo about windows installer. no great loss. docs2go installed and what a slow pig that thing is. i never use the pc side or the conduit. i use docs2go for NATIVE editing, not that old fashioned conduit business. and i don't like anybody adding menus to my office apps on my laptop. anyway, i got over it pretty quick when i successfully paired my treo with my hands free kit in my car. now to go for a drive and make a call without risking my life .

the phone locks up whenever i turn it off. let me explain. holding the off button, to shut off the phone portion of the treo to save battery causes the device to no longer respond to buttons. any buttons. the only recourse is to peel off the screen protector and tap the screen to get control again. geez. i gotta fix this soon. in fact, i brought resco backup over from my tx for the hard reset that may be needed to get out of this mode some day. so far, and i would never have predicted this, so far i might just elect to leave the tx at home and carry only my treo. maybe it is more than a phone after all...

total out of pocket was kinda steep:
    $277 with 2 year contract and overnight delivery from verizon
    $40 belt holster clip. maybe i can take this back and put the phone in my shirt pocket instead of my tx
    $30 car charger. geez. this should have come with the phone. o well.
    $70 two gig sd card. the store was out of stock on all the $49 one gig cards and cut me a deal on the 2 gig card. very nice.

it hurts, but not as much as a nasty car wreck when trying to dial with my hands instead of my voice.
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    Quote Originally Posted by r0k
    the phone locks up whenever i turn it off. let me explain. holding the off button, to shut off the phone portion of the treo to save battery causes the device to no longer respond to buttons. any buttons. the only recourse is to peel off the screen protector and tap the screen to get control again. geez. i gotta fix this soon. in fact, i brought resco backup over from my tx for the hard reset that may be needed to get out of this mode some day. so far, and i would never have predicted this, so far i might just elect to leave the tx at home and carry only my treo. maybe it is more than a phone after all...
    That's a weird problem. Back it up and hard reset, and then while your Treo is in its's 'factory state' see if you still have the problem. If so, take it back(or mail it back or whatever).
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  7. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    ShannonElements wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    That's a weird problem. Back it up and hard reset, and then while your Treo is in its's 'factory state' see if you still have the problem. If so, take it back(or mail it back or whatever).
    I'm in no hurry to hard reset even a new unit. Besides, when I noticed the problem nothing was on the unit but my contacts (via bluetooth) and the apps that came on the cd with the Treo.

What I forgot to mention is that I was turning off phone mode while in the phone application. Doh! Now I am switching to the applications screen whenever going in or out of phone mode and there is no more lockup.
    -r0k

rok
    Love your avatar!

edit: btw, don't forget to acitvate your palm taxi easter egg LINK
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 03/31/2006 at 10:07 AM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I don't know what you did when but it seems you went way too fast. The manual is written in a manner :

1. First Day - synching contacts
    2. First Week - making calls and e-mail / web browsing
    3. First Two Weeks - Uisng preinstalled programs
    4. First Month - installing programs
    5. When you're ready - customization

And of course every treo user is at step 5 within 20 minutes of Fedex leaving the driveway. Inevitably the wind up here and hear the dreaded "Hard Reset" advice.

But I gonna echo that advice. Hard reset and uninstall Palm Desktop. Delete the C:\ProgramFiles\palm folder and start over. Witha clean PC and Treo

1. Install Palm Desktop and Hotsync.
    2. Do the ROM upgrade if your device doesn't have latest and greatest. Check Palm site for "verizon updater"
    3. Play with the phone for a week clean and nakie. Try pairing with ya car BT and see if it works.
    4. If you get any stalls up to this point you want to have your Palm in this clean and nakie state of support will just say to make it clean and nakie before calling back.

Before installing any applications, even the ones on the CD, you'll want to install Northglide's "Uninstall Manager" as the very first application. I'd also want to have a backup solution such as BackupBuddyVFS, Resco or backupMan installed a smy 2nd app.

The links in post 4 above should take you from there.

And you should be able to turn off the phone while at the phone screen.