Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77
  1.    #1  
    Treo 650 seems to stay in "headset mode" forever...

    After plugging in a pair of 3-in-1 Seidio headsets and listening to MP3s with pTunes for a while, unplugging the headset does nothing to the sound coming out of the Treo 650. No systems sounds or phone sounds, nothing comes out! It's as if the thing went mute! All sounds play through the headset normally, just not through the Treo.

    I have done this dozens of time before; the sound alwas comes "back" through the tiny speaker, although sometimes it seems to take longer than ususal.

    Plugging and unplugging the headset does nothing; soft reset does nothing either. Don't want to try a hard reset just yet; I doubt it will do any good. And the MUTE switch on top is set to NOT mute

    Surely, this has happened to someone else? What should I do? HELP!!!
  2. #2  
    Mute switch on top?

    Steve
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    Mute switch on top?

    Steve
    Nope. Switch set to sound on (i.e. left side near antenna, dark spearker icon).

    Clue: when receiving phone call withour headset, phone rings/vibrates but the "Speakerphone" icon is not visible on screen during call, as if the "headset is plugged in, therefore cannot possibly switch to speakerphone".
  4. #4  
    bad headset jack... a very common problem. check this out for more info

    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    bad headset jack... a very common problem. check this out for more info

    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html
    Thanks for the info; I had seen it before.

    Surgery is NOT for the faint of heart!

    I don't understand the "software" fix mentioned. I have VolumeCare, and can check or uncheck the headset box to allow VolumeCare to take over the volume control for headset, but nothing else. Am I missing something?
  6. #6  
    not sure how the software fix works. I do believe it disables the jack and you need to reset your device to enable/disable it. Does not work for all modes of failure since the jack fails in many ways.

    I fix the phones for $75 plus shipping. It is a permanent fix.
    Last edited by nonobeez; 07/16/2006 at 02:52 AM.
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  7. #7  
    sometimes you can fix that problem by shooting compressed air into the jack or repeatedly putting the headset plug in and out a few times to "clean" the jack. good luck
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    sometimes you can fix that problem by shooting compressed air into the jack or repeatedly putting the headset plug in and out a few times to "clean" the jack. good luck
    I have tried the old in-and-out a few times, both quick and slow, using 3 different plugs (Seidio headset, Seidio adapter & RadioShack adapter with normal headphones). No luck....

    Also tried your compressed-air with same negative result.

    When on a call, with the SpeakerPhone icon not showing because stupid thing thinks it is in headset mode, I can get the icon to re-appear with the in-and-out trick, but still no go. My guess is that something physical is fu*&?d up inside and it will require "surgery" as suggested earlier.....

    Shame on Palm for such poor design!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Thanks for the info; I had seen it before.

    Surgery is NOT for the faint of heart!

    I don't understand the "software" fix mentioned. I have VolumeCare, and can check or uncheck the headset box to allow VolumeCare to take over the volume control for headset, but nothing else. Am I missing something?
    There is an option in the Advanced Configuration screen in Phone Mode called "ByPass Headset Jack". This will route all audio and MIC around the broken headset jack. Use this version:

    http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

    Jeff
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    sometimes you can fix that problem by shooting compressed air into the jack or repeatedly putting the headset plug in and out a few times to "clean" the jack. good luck
    here is a better trick:

    1) Insert connector into jack 1/2 way
    2) Place right thumb on bottom left corner of Treo
    3) With yor index finger, push the outer end of the connector towards your thumb, in a squezing manner

    This will only work if your jack is not completley shot and is a temporary fix. If the audio problem goes away, you definitly had a bad jack.

    If the above does not work, try pushing the connector towards the rear of the Treo with the connector all the way in.
    Last edited by nonobeez; 07/16/2006 at 02:52 AM.
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I can always repair permanently for $50
    Saw your BLOG and read it a couple of times; still not clear though. I don't understand how the jack behaves after your fix:

    1. Same as before, with "auto-switching" when plugging in headset? (BEST)
    2. Bypasses "auto-switching" when headset pluged in; must manually mute it using the top switch? (GOOD)
    3. Bypasses jack completely and makes it useless like the VolumeCare solution (BAD).

    Artologik
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Saw your BLOG and read it a couple of times; still not clear though. I don't understand how the jack behaves after your fix:

    1. Same as before, with "auto-switching" when plugging in headset? (BEST)
    2. Bypasses "auto-switching" when headset pluged in; must manually mute it using the top switch? (GOOD)
    3. Bypasses jack completely and makes it useless like the VolumeCare solution (BAD).

    Artologik
    same as before (1). If you also bridge mic and ground to get rid of crackling and/or mono sound output, you disable the 2-in-1 functionality.
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    3. Bypasses jack completely and makes it useless like the VolumeCare solution (BAD).
    Just to be clear. The ByPass feature in VolumeCare will recover the speakers and MIC in your Treo when the headset jack fails! I am not advertising any other result from this ByPass solution. If you need ByPass, your headset jack is no longer functioning.

    Jeff
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Just to be clear. The ByPass feature in VolumeCare will recover the speakers and MIC in your Treo when the headset jack fails! I am not advertising any other result from this ByPass solution. If you need ByPass, your headset jack is no longer functioning.

    Jeff
    Jeff,

    I see the feature you mention, but the whole PRO application is un-enabled without registration. I would like to try it and see if it resolves the problem TEMPORARILY, but I don't want to pay money to disable a feature PERMANENTLY!!!

    Besides, my carrier (Bell Canada) agreed today to exchange the unit for a brand new one, which should arrive in a couple of business days...which means Tuesday next week. In the meantime, I'll have to make do by turning the phone off and use it only as an expensive PDA.

    I'm surprised not more people have had the jack problem and reported it here on the forums... The fact that VolumeCare can bypass it altogether or that you can hack the device to "solve" the problem leads me to believe many people have experienced the problem; otherwise, why do such "solutions" exist?

    Artologik
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Jeff,

    I see the feature you mention, but the whole PRO application is un-enabled without registration. I would like to try it and see if it resolves the problem TEMPORARILY, but I don't want to pay money to disable a feature PERMANENTLY!!!
    This feature will only ByPass the headset jack if you have the option enabled. As soon as you disable this feature and perform a soft reset, the feature will no longer route sound around the headset jack. So it is a "Temporary" fix and can be turned on and off at will.

    Besides, my carrier (Bell Canada) agreed today to exchange the unit for a brand new one, which should arrive in a couple of business days...which means Tuesday next week. In the meantime, I'll have to make do by turning the phone off and use it only as an expensive PDA.
    I craeted the ByPass module for VolumeCare for 2 reasons:
    1) Allow people to use their phones again after suffering a headset jack failure.
    2) The trial period is set for 2 days. If you can replace your phone in that time, you don't have to pay for the module. But if your replacement takes longer than 2 days or your phone is out of warranty, then VolumeCare will restore your Treo's ability to operate as a phone. At this point $11.95 is a very small price to pay to again use your Treo.


    I'm surprised not more people have had the jack problem and reported it here on the forums... The fact that VolumeCare can bypass it altogether or that you can hack the device to "solve" the problem leads me to believe many people have experienced the problem; otherwise, why do such "solutions" exist?

    Artologik
    Yes this is becomming an all to common problem. I see many reports of this failure every week. Many post here at Treocentral in the 650 hardware forum.

    Jeff
  16.    #16  
    Jeff,

    Hadn't realized you are the author of the software; good work.

    This feature will only ByPass the headset jack if you have the option enabled. As soon as you disable this feature and perform a soft reset, the feature will no longer route sound around the headset jack. So it is a "Temporary" fix and can be turned on and off at will.
    What I meant by "temporary" is that your fix avoids the problem, but the problem stays. Once the physical jack is fixed, then vCare will allow one to stop bypassing the jack altogether; that is a good thing!

    However, if the jack is *not repaired*, then the only option appears to be vCare used to "permanently" bypass the jack; that is a bad thing.

    In no way I meant that the jack bypass with vCare was a one-way trip only! Sorry if that is how it sounded like....

    Artologik
  17.    #17  
    Just for fun, i had sent Seidio a Support Ticket enquiring about troublesome sound/mic from their 2-in1 headset and the Treo650. Here is what they had to say:
    Dear Daniel

    This is a known issue with the Treo 650, this is cause by the
    internal ROM bugs of the Treo. Please contact the carrier of the phone
    regarding this internal ROM issue.

    Thank you for contacting Seidio

    Technical Support Team
    Seidio, inc.
    Maybe they should put pressure on palm to fix this thing?! Otherwise, the more people stop using the jack, the less headsets they will sell!

    Artologik
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    There is an option in the Advanced Configuration screen in Phone Mode called "ByPass Headset Jack". This will route all audio and MIC around the broken headset jack. Use this version:

    http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

    Jeff
    Folks,

    This guy is a miracle worker! It really works!

    VolumeCare with the Bypass feature fixed my *mute* phone and turned it from a $600 notepad to a real smartphone. Thanks to guys like Jeff at GoTreo, there is hope for all of us with dead headset jacks and who lack the courage to perform "surgery" inside the Treo.

    This solution is easier, safer, faster and cheaper too. I encourage you all to go out and buy this useful app, which should be part of the standard suite of must-have applications. Thanks Jeff.

    Artologik
  19. #19  
    <sticky>
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Folks,

    This guy is a miracle worker! It really works!

    VolumeCare with the Bypass feature fixed my *mute* phone and turned it from a $600 notepad to a real smartphone. Thanks to guys like Jeff at GoTreo, there is hope for all of us with dead headset jacks and who lack the courage to perform "surgery" inside the Treo.

    This solution is easier, safer, faster and cheaper too. I encourage you all to go out and buy this useful app, which should be part of the standard suite of must-have applications. Thanks Jeff.

    Artologik
    It depends on the problem. I bought Volumcare with the bypass plug ( this cost extra ), and it does get the speakphone and handset speaker to work again, but my microphone still does not work. So, I can either send it in to Palm for repair ( I bought it on Ebay ), or try and repair is myself. Any recommendations on which route to go? My biggest problem with do it yourself technique is finding the T5 Torx Driver. I don't have a lot of free time between work and school to go hunting tools, so I would need suggestions on a good source for it. Thank You.

    P.S. I tried the pressure trick, the jack-in/jack-out trick, and canned air tricks. No dice.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions