Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Update: I tried nobeez method of putting pressure on the jack and that eventually worked. What I did was play some music on pocket-tunes, and while it was playing ( no sound came out initially ) I put my 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter into the socket until just after the last black band disappeared from sight, then placed my right thumb under the left side ( closes to the jack ) , and squeezed the adapter sideways towards the jack until I heard the music coming out of the speaker. It took 2 additionaly squeeze sessions after I first heard sound come out before the effect was permanent, meaning after the first time I heard sound and let go, the sound stopped, so don't give up after your first try!

On an additional note, if you wan to go the Volumcare route, which is not guaranteed to fix the microphone not working ( see my post above ), you have to purchase both Volumecare ( basic or pro ) AND in addition purchase the bypass key.
    By the way, I had a heck of a time finding the Bypass key in the GoTreo store, and wound up buying an unecessary upgrade license since that was the only other Volumecare product I could find on the site. They need to make any add-ons easy to find. Searching for 'bypass' on their site yielded no hits in the store, and 1 hit in downloads ( the hit was Volumecare Pro ). So if the site owner/employee could fix that, it would save people time and money.

Thank You.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    Update: I tried nobeez method of putting pressure on the jack and that eventually worked. What I did was play some music on pocket-tunes, and while it was playing ( no sound came out initially ) I put my 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter into the socket until just after the last black band disappeared from sight, then placed my right thumb under the left side ( closes to the jack ) , and squeezed the adapter sideways towards the jack until I heard the music coming out of the speaker. It took 2 additionaly squeeze sessions after I first heard sound come out before the effect was permanent, meaning after the first time I heard sound and let go, the sound stopped, so don't give up after your first try!

On an additional note, if you wan to go the Volumcare route, which is not guaranteed to fix the microphone not working ( see my post above ), you have to purchase both Volumecare ( basic or pro ) AND in addition purchase the bypass key.
    By the way, I had a heck of a time finding the Bypass key in the GoTreo store, and wound up buying an unecessary upgrade license since that was the only other Volumecare product I could find on the site. They need to make any add-ons easy to find. Searching for 'bypass' on their site yielded no hits in the store, and 1 hit in downloads ( the hit was Volumecare Pro ). So if the site owner/employee could fix that, it would save people time and money.

Thank You.
    Hi fortezza. I am sorry you had this expereince but there is a buy link for the ByPass feature right on the main page of GoTreoSoftware.com. It is the 4th product listing on the main page. But your point is on target and I have a team working on a new GoTreo web site. They will hopefully have the new design ready for production in a few weeks.

As for the MIC issue, there was a bug in releases prior to version 5.34 where VolumeCare was incorrectly handling the MIC bypass during phone calls. Version 5.34 has fixed this problem. But you are right in that there are failure conditions where VolumeCare ByPass may not work as you would like it to work. That is why I provide a trial period so the solution can be validated on your Treo before you purchase!

Jeff
    The same happened to me 2 weeks ago. After I convinced Verizon to replace my 650, I thought to plug the headset in again and remove. Voila! All worked again. I did get a replacement Treo and the audio jack form my original was problematic as often the headset wouldnt work properly either.

Waiting for my Palm 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor so i can use as stereo MP3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    Treo 650 seems to stay in "headset mode" forever...

After plugging in a pair of 3-in-1 Seidio headsets and listening to MP3s with pTunes for a while, unplugging the headset does nothing to the sound coming out of the Treo 650. No systems sounds or phone sounds, nothing comes out! It's as if the thing went mute! All sounds play through the headset normally, just not through the Treo.

I have done this dozens of time before; the sound alwas comes "back" through the tiny speaker, although sometimes it seems to take longer than ususal.

Plugging and unplugging the headset does nothing; soft reset does nothing either. Don't want to try a hard reset just yet; I doubt it will do any good. And the MUTE switch on top is set to NOT mute

Surely, this has happened to someone else? What should I do? HELP!!!
    I used my Sprint phone insurance twice to fix this problem at $50 a pop and now my insurance is suspended. Seems like a scam to charge users to fix a manufacturing problem.
    1. Has Palm ever acknowledged that there is a problem with the connector ( in other words, admitted it is a defect in the product and subject to warranty replacement)
    or
    2. has anyone looked into the feasability of a class action lawsuit to get them to reimburse all the money spent on fixing their mistake?

Unfortunately, I have already voided any warranty I may have had by opening the case to replace a screen...

An aside on Nonobee's soldering fix - don't attempt unless you are really good at soldering and have a soldering setup for doing fine work. It looks like the best fix for full functionality short of Palm fixing it themselves.

Added 4-22-06: Also, why does Treocentral and Palm continue to sell the short adapter that has been implicated in triggering this defect? http://store.treocentral.com/content.../73-75--13.htm

Please know that I love my 650. It is the most useful gadget I own. I just hate that I have to give a long string of "watch-outs" to my friends who are interested in getting one.
    Last edited by johnsan; 04/22/2006 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsan
    I used my Sprint phone insurance twice to fix this problem at $50 a pop and now my insurance is suspended. Seems like a scam to charge users to fix a manufacturing problem.
    1. Has Palm ever acknowledged that there is a problem with the connector ( in other words, admitted it is a defect in the product and subject to warranty replacement)
    or
    2. has anyone looked into the feasability of a class action lawsuit to get them to reimburse all the money spent on fixing their mistake?

Unfortunately, I have already voided any warranty I may have had by opening the case to replace a screen...

An aside on Nonobee's soldering fix - don't attempt unless you are really good at soldering and have a soldering setup for doing fine work. It looks like the best fix for full functionality short of Palm fixing it themselves.

Added 4-22-06: Also, why does Treocentral and Palm continue to sell the short adapter that has been implicated in triggering this defect? http://store.treocentral.com/content.../73-75--13.htm

Please know that I love my 650. It is the most useful gadget I own. I just hate that I have to give a long string of "watch-outs" to my friends who are interested in getting one.
    phone should have been replaced free of charge both times under warranty
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Thank you!! Jiggling the audio jack as you suggested cured my phone of the problem (for now).
    My speakers stopped working this weekend...good thing I checked here for possible solutions.

Here's how it happened, a friend of mine was listening to my mp3's with their wired headset then later that day, I couldn't hear anything when making or recieving phone calls. Even the bluetooth headset didn't work. The phone was acting like it was connected to a wired headset.

Well, thanks for posting your problems and fixes. I'll start with the cheap solutions first and escalate it from there. Thanks.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoTTyLr
    My speakers stopped working this weekend...good thing I checked here for possible solutions.

Here's how it happened, a friend of mine was listening to my mp3's with their wired headset then later that day, I couldn't hear anything when making or recieving phone calls. Even the bluetooth headset didn't work. The phone was acting like it was connected to a wired headset.

Well, thanks for posting your problems and fixes. I'll start with the cheap solutions first and escalate it from there. Thanks.
    Dude,

Are you saying that when the jack fails and the thing stays in headset mode forever, even the BT headset doesn't work?

Mine broke the exact same way: listening to MP3s. Solution? Don't listen to MP3s with a wired headset and do "physical activity" that might tug on the wire.

It sucks having to reduce the Treo by 1 more capability, but all we really need is a phone and PDA; the rest is just gravy. And like your Uncle's Buick with all the options, the "extras are the first things to break". Shame on Palm for engineering such a crappy plug.

Artologik

P.S. I am still awaiting a replacement Treo650 from BCE... They loaned me an older Treo600, and so far it seems to be more robust.
    I posted this on another thread but my 650's headphone jack wasn't working, sound only through the back speaker.
    Then, for another reason, I did a soft reset, and after one more shot, the jack worked.
    Try a soft reset, you've got nothing to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinhar
    Thank you!! Jiggling the audio jack as you suggested cured my phone of the problem (for now).
    Just a temp fix, unfortunately it will come back if you keep using the audio jack.
    I tried jiggling and pinching the audio jack as recommended above and the sound still didn't work.

I downloaded a trial verison of VolumeCare Pro v5.35 and the sound is now working again like normal. Thanks Jeff!! I'll be buying the software soon.
    I tried Volume Care and Headcold ( http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-797.html?HeadCold ) but my jack was too far gone. I had a electronics guy at my work perform nono bee's fix and it works completely. It is like having a new phone
    Thanks NoNo!
    BTW - here is an idea, Nono- make a clip that snaps over the stock jack to jumper the contacts correctly but could be removed without a trace for warranty returns. Alternatively, is there a way to make a plug that jumpers the connection correctly within the plug and acts as 2.5 or 3.5 mm adapter?

I would still like to try to get some $ back from my Sprint insurance for charging me to fix an error that is a defect in the phone. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsan
    I tried Volume Care and Headcold ( http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-797.html?HeadCold ) but my jack was too far gone. I had a electronics guy at my work perform nono bee's fix and it works completely. It is like having a new phone
    Thanks NoNo!
    BTW - here is an idea, Nono- make a clip that snaps over the stock jack to jumper the contacts correctly but could be removed without a trace for warranty returns. Alternatively, is there a way to make a plug that jumpers the connection correctly within the plug and acts as 2.5 or 3.5 mm adapter?

I would still like to try to get some $ back from my Sprint insurance for charging me to fix an error that is a defect in the phone. Any suggestions?
    I can usually perform the fix with a tiny spot of solder... I doubt anyone would be able to tell at the Palm Repair facility.

I have not documented it because it is tough to do for beginners and I get too many "I screwed up" emails as it is.

Glad yo hear you were able to get your phone back...
    You may be able to fish around in the headset jack with a pin to restore the external sound. This problem has occurred with Zodiac users in the past and this has worked for me with my Treo 650. I'm not sure if the problem is identical with the Treo, but I've been able to restore my sound this way. Unfortunately, as soon as I plug a headset back in, it breaks it again, and fishing around to fix it isn't typically a quick process. Plus, even when my headset is plugged in, I'm no longer getting stereo sound. So I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I can't use my Treo as an MP3 player, which really sucks.

Anyways, to fix it (or try to), you want to look inside the headset jack with the buttons facing toward the ceiling. Looking in this way, you'll see at the "floor" of the round jack a piece of gold colored metal. Stick a pin between this prong and the outer black plastic ring and pull it up so that the metal isn't touching the black plastic. While you're doing this, use your D-Pad to navigate around the icons on the Home/Application screen until you start hearing the blip sound again.

If the 700p comes out soon, I'm going to call AmEx and see if they'll reimburse me as I think my card might have extended warranty protection. If not, I may send it in to Nono to fix it and then give it to my wife.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I can usually perform the fix with a tiny spot of solder... I doubt anyone would be able to tell at the Palm Repair facility.

I have not documented it because it is tough to do for beginners and I get too many "I screwed up" emails as it is.
    could always document your repair method anonymously somewhere...

Include the appropriate dislaimers and warnings about what could go wrong just to be on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by logicpaw
    could always document your repair method anonymously somewhere...

Include the appropriate dislaimers and warnings about what could go wrong just to be on the safe side.
    Not fair to people who pay... better to keep it a secret.
    I had this happen to me yesterday. Luckily, it was fixed by plugging in and unplugging my headset a few times.
    I, for one, cherish my Treo, and the idea of breaking it open and soldering the jack to fix this very same problem was terrifying to me. I don't have a warranty or ANY integrated circuit soldering experience, so it was a big risk. But I did it, and my Treo is an audio workhorse now. It works better than it used to. The guy that runs the TreoTricks blog is an amazing dude, and you should trust him. Rather than use the software to sweep a problem under the rug, I highly recommend steadying your hands, buying a fine tip for your soldering iron and a magnifying glass, and soldering both switches with some fine wire and solder. The trick works, it won't ever break again and it won't ever break more than it was, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks to Treo Tricks...
    ____
    reverisco.
    Count me in among the victims of this flaw. I'm waiting for my replacement from Cingular. At leas I was able to fuigure out the problem quickly because of this post. Thanks.
    My 4mo old 650 just succumbed this morning. Disappointing because I knew about the poor jack design and was always careful when plugging in my headset. Obviously not careful enough... :-(

Here's the behavior I see:
    - Headset works fine
    - pTunes, mVoice and other players are silent when played through speaker
    - Speaker phone doesn't work
    - Alarms, ring tones, etc. play fine through speaker
    - Microphone doesn't work (regardless of whether I have a headset plugged in)
    - I tried multiple soft resets, "jack jiggling", and even a hard reset + restore from backup (thanks RBackup!). All to no avail
    - I tried VolumeCare and the "Bypass Headset Jack" setting but it didn't change anything

Two questions:
    - What am I doing wrong with VolumeCare? From the posts above it looks like it should work fine. Is it possible that my Treo's broken in a way that even VC can't fix?
    - Other people's experience seems to be a complete loss of speaker, yet mine still works for alarms, ringing, etc. Does this mean there's something else wrong with my Treo? (E.g. some software problem?)

Thanks!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast