Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So are you going to rename the RomTool to OS Partition Tool?
    Zing!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So are you going to rename the RomTool to OS Partition Tool?
    That would imply the the Tool can change the size of your Partition, which it can't
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    to be honest ...

i think that while i have a basic grasp of the topic ... i really struggle to understand the finer details of this issue of "rom" vs "ram" etc ....

but the only reason that i really want to understand it at all is so that i can use my treo more effectively .....

so can i "chip" in with a practical question here ... and i hope that i am not taking this thread off topic ..... i apologize ahead of time if that is the case .

my interest in the "rom" vs "ram" question is only because i want my treo to run as smoothly as possible ..... and because i remember the days of my palm v and vx (i can't even remember the model number that i had before my palm v ... and i should, cause it was my very first palm ... ) when i used the jack flash family of apps to get all the stock standard stuff out of rom and then "stuff it to the gills" with the apps that i really wanted .....

i guess that i am finding that habit a hard one to leave behind ..... and i suspect from the tone of many of the posts that i have read in the various "custom rom" threads that i am not the only one that feels that way, and in fact suspect that thought may also be at the back of Tony's mind ( apologies Tony if i am way off the mark here) ....

many i suspect really want to "stuff" all those programs that we value so much into our "wasted (rom) space" .....and hence leave "oodles of room" in "ram" for all the "other apps" that we use ......

yet it seems that the current accepted knowledge is that the less in rom the better .....

thanks to shadowmite,and mmastrac and his great little custom rom app .... (absolutely brilliant- totally baffles me how someone that doesn't even work for palm can design something like that ... and i am sure that someone from palm watches all this experimental stuff with great interest).... and all the custom rom experts here ( james, bert, cranium and many others).... i have successfully done several custom roms for my treo .. and rescued my almost "bricked" treo once ..... thank you shadowmite

yet my somewhat limited experience with custom roms in the treo seems to conflict with the current accepted wisdom of putting as little as possible in rom to keep it as small as possible..... and seems to support the "old" concept of "stuffing rom to the gills" ...

why?

i use the standard gsm unlocked lap partition size .. i think that it's approx 8.4MB .... i have at my last count 45 apps and or plugins added to one of james roms (GSM 120 with fat 32 ... tutorial, real player & versa removed ... the rest of the stock standard palm apps, including world clock have been retained, the sms & carrier fixes etc added ) .... in ram i have only 7 apps with about 16 MB spare .... i keep all games, music, ebooks, etc on the card (using about 500MB out of 2GB) ...

the custom tool tells me that currently i have only 10K of "wasted space" .... i think that qualifies as "stuffed to the gills" ...

i have tried several variations of apps in rom over the last month or so ... all taken close to the limit in terms of "filling " rom up .... and leaving my ram as empty as possible ...... all with the same result ...

my treo just never resets .....well maybe not quite never .... but certainly it is a very rare event - possibly once in 4 - 6 weeks and is usually associated with some kind of "dodgy" app ....generally it seems to run as smooth as glass ... (well, except for my BT pairing problem which was a problem right out of the box and still persists, 2 treo's later ) ...... but it doesn't reset, freeze up, lock up etc at all....

is there possibly something different in the GSM LAP software? ...

is it just because i don't use "intensive" type apps ....

ie i don't use my treo for lots of constantly on email, gprs satnav or tomtom type apps etc ..... basically it's a phone first,then an alarm clock (butler) ... then a diary & organizer ... (fairly heavy use of month view in agendus) .... then an ebook reader .. mp3 player ... listening to work lectures & speeches ... some reading of word docs ( but generally not creating or editing them on the treo) ... and lots of "waiting room" type games ....

i have heaps of ebooks etc on the card, but i don't have huge databases of anything ... and generally delete my appointments out of agendus once the appointment time has past ....

and does this experience suggest that for the "light" user the dbase cache issue is not quite so important . and therefore it's ok to "stuff the rom to the gills" ....

or have i just been lucky so far, and am in fact just a rom accident waiting to happen? ...
    Last edited by aussietanker; 03/31/2006 at 07:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    and does this experience suggest that for the "light" user the dbase cache issue is not quite so important . and therefore it's ok to "stuff the rom to the gills" ....
    I think your last statement, above, sums it up.

I used to suffer with my Satnav crashing on a regular basis. A real pain when you ride a motorcycle as you can not just reset it while you are riding, unlike a car driver.

Since I have stripped my ROM I now have 3.5mb more DB Cache and the problems have gone away.

I really don't care about how much free RAM I have, as I can put most of my apps on a 2GB SD card.

As long as there is enough RAM for apps like Butler, Initiate, DateBk5 etc which can not be run from a SD card, I'm happy.

Your other statement about your Treo being stable at the moment also means a lot.

If your treo is stable, and it does what you want, then you have got the ROM / RAM /Db Cache balance 100% correct for YOU

Nice discussion
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  5.    #25  
    I'm using the CNG partition with about 500k free in NVFS OS partion. I'm running lots of apps in NVFS, and I still have 12 MB of NVFS free. My Treo is extremely stable, it turns on quickly, and I couldn't be more pleased with its performance. I am using Profiles, which sort of runs in the background, but it doesn't seem to cause any stability problems or slowdowns.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Here's another memory description:

"There are two types of memory in the Treo 650

1. 32MB of fast DRAM (dynamic) RAM which is used for running apps and PalmOS
    2. 32MB of slower NVFS (flash) RAM which is used for persistent storage of PalmOS and your data and apps"

Long article....with diagrams
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12