View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to a new 700p

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a heartbeat on day one

150 53.57%
  • Maybe not, but will see how it goes

84 30.00%
  • I am content with 650 for my needs. Dont need to spend the extra cash.

28 10.00%
  • Will wait for the next OS upgrade

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    I opted for waiting till the next OS upgrade. In this case my personal preference is to wait for Access Linux Platform (ALP) instead of just getting another updated version of Garnet. Since I'm a Linux user I'll assume ALP will use little resources as well lower TCO due to opening more doors to open source software developement.
    I don't know that we will ever see ALP on a Treo. 4 months since ALP was announced and no endoresement from Palm, Inc is pehaps the best indicator that they going another way....tho they could be jostling for better license fees by threatening their own OS.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110894
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    Do you really think 4GB of memory is necessary? As long as Palm adds FAT32 the cost of a 4GB SD card is around $120 right now and that will only keep falling when the 8GB are released and that will fall when the 16GB are released, etc. How much extra do you think 4GB would add to the price? 128 MB is a good upgrade, 256 would be even nicer but 4GB is an unrealistic expectation.

I do agree they need to release a wifi driver even if it's for their propietary card only. And updating bluetooth is also necessary.
    If Apple can fit 4 GB storage in an Apple iPod Nano then I'm sure Palm...well HTC who manufacturers the Treo can fit it in the current form factor. This isn't an unreasonable request especially when one considers not only current technology but also that a Treo with out a carrier (Rogers, T-Mobile, etc) term is not cheap. Even with a term/contract through a carrier I see customers being asked to pay more than what they are actually getting for the product. Palm isn't the only one to blame for high cost as there are some companies that charge significantly more for their device, though offer more (ie: XDA Exec..aka iMate JASJAR). It should be noted that the XDA Exec is also built by HTC.

As for purchasing a SD memory card seperately consumers should be asking themselves why should you have to? Like I already said technology is currently available to provide large storage in a small form factor design. You also should realize by Palm making customers use the SD slot for adding additional storage leaves no option to use a second SD card at the same time. If the internal storage is increased significantly to at least 2 GB then the single SD slot could be used for other things such as add on WIFI card, GPS receiver, etc. For Palm to ignore this will only leave more openings for competitors to fill the gap.

I edited the orignal post to include my interest in seeing a front camera, not just one on the back of the device so as to provide video conferencing. This technology is going to be seen in more devices as time goes on. Devices such as the XDA Exec and Motorola V3x that are both 3G devices support this feature. Though I don't want the size of the Treo to increase on comparison to for example an iPaq smartphone which I find bulky.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 04/15/2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't know that we will ever see ALP on a Treo. 4 months since ALP was announced and no endoresement from Palm, Inc is pehaps the best indicator that they going another way....tho they could be jostling for better license fees by threatening their own OS.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110894
    I was taking my reference from several news links regarding ALP on the Treo and other smartphones. See http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/756-1.htm , http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...inux-platform/ and http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...at-linuxworld/ From what it looks like Palm will provide an emulator for customers to ease into migrating to a Linux OS. This will also provide ISV time to port their software and make hardware compatible with the devices running the Linux OS. Similar to how current Linux vendors such as Novell provide Wine (see http://winehq.com/) to help migrate Windows users over to a Linux distribution (ie: SUSE Linux, Mandriva Linux, etc). I'm not expecting this to occur till at least 2007 based on reports on what devices Palm is releasing in 2006. So far they seem to have a good game plan for completing this transition though I hope they don't drop the ball as they did with the Cobalt OS.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 04/15/2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    If Apple can fit 4 GB storage in an Apple iPod Nano then I'm sure Palm...well HTC who manufacturers the Treo can fit it in the current form factor. This isn't an unreasonable request especially when one considers not only current technology...
    Palm does not put the "latest" technology in their products (see the Treo 650 with 32 megs of RAM, lack of WiFi, etc.). They're a few years behind current technology, and because they have the best form factor and sell the amount of units they do, there is no motivation for them to even consider something as lavish as 4 GB of RAM. It simply will not happen.
    Last edited by geatches; 04/15/2006 at 04:53 PM.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Palm does not put the "latest" technology in their products (see the Treo 650 with 32 megs of RAM, lack of WiFi, etc.). They're a few years behind current technology, and because they have the best form factor and sell the amount of units they do, there is no motivation for them to even consider something as lavish as 4 GB of RAM. It simply will not happen.

I agree, and currently the are marketing thse devices as business devices (with an ability for multimedia), but these devicees aren't being marketed as an all in one multimedia device. If palm ever starts marketing it like this, then I think we may see larger storage, but currently these are devices mainly designed for business use.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    You all talk as if the LifeDrive never happened....

Surur
    hi newbie here
    i barely got my treo 650
    should i return it and get my cash back
    or upgrade when the new one comes out

and how do you upgrade to a better phone
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    Oh no, when I said "these devices" I meant the Treo line.

I definately think they should make these more into multimedia devices, as I don't feel that would take away from the business side, and the extra storage space certainly wouldn't hurt business professionals.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Quote Originally Posted by thecolonel5
    hi newbie here
    i barely got my treo 650
    should i return it and get my cash back
    or upgrade when the new one comes out

and how do you upgrade to a better phone
    Hi thecolonel5!

Who is your carrier and how long are you willing to wait?
    Your trade off is EV-DO, more memory and other improvements,
    vs. the 650 that is now got all (most) of the bugs worked out.

Sprint = 2 months-ish
    Verizon = 2 to 5 months?

Others (PalmOS) 4 months thru end of year wait?

Upgrading to a new Treo is simple if you follow the directions. . . .
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/15/2006 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Oh no you didn't just....
    Yes he did...Hey noob, he probably manages a sprint store at radio shack...I am praying he does LMAO...We will camp out at the sprint dealer who will definitely get it first...Got a go, my wife's calling and telling me to get a life and get off the tube, so I can take her out tonight.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Yes he did...Hey noob, he probably manages a sprint store at radio shack...I am praying he does LMAO...We will camp out at the sprint dealer who will definitely get it first...Got a go, my wife's calling and telling me to get a life and get off the tube, so I can take her out tonight.

Hey! Did you just call me a noo---oh wait.....

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Surur
    My good man, this is a "Treo" forum.
    Does the LD make phone calls now??

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Geatches
    My good man, this is a "Treo" forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Does the LD make phone calls now??

I was responding to this, which was a general statement about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Geatches
    I'm just saying they are not completely unpredictable, although in the case of the LD disaster they probably wish they had been. We dont know anything about the specs of the Hollywood for example.

Surur
    I'm just saying they are not completely unpredictable, although in the case of the LD disaster they probably wish they had been. We dont know anything about the specs of the Hollywood for example.

Surur
    I agree, but given their track record and the supposed specs of the 700P, I don't hold much hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    One thread wasn't good enough??
    I guess not since you saw value in this one to vote!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Hey! Did you just call me a noo---oh wait.....
    I meant OnceUponAnoob...sorry. I was to lazy to call you completely out. Are we still Cool and the Gang...LOL
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I meant OnceUponAnoob...sorry. I was to lazy to call you completely out. Are we still Cool and the Gang...LOL

*sigh* I guess

Haha, you were the first person to get caught in my name trap. Think about it, it works perfectly. It sets up for a good joke in situations like this, and in a flaming situation, the worst someone is usually gonna call you, so they don't risk getting banned, is a noob. If that's my name though, well I think you see what I mean.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    After seeing the price of an upgrade to a comperable EVDO plan I am not sure I will be so quick to upgrade. A comperable plan will cost 3 times more then what I am paying.

Current Vison Plan = $10 Unlimited Internet / Unlimited SMS / No Picture Mail
    EVDO = $15 Unlimited internet / No SMS / No Picture Mail.
    Unlimited SMS option is an extra $15 making the total = $30
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I am very torn, do I want the 700w or the 700p, they both would be great handsets, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Its going to come down to what VZW has when I go to upgrade. If they have both, then its going to come down to

700w - Streaming XM
    Multi-tasking!!!!!
    Pocket IE!!!!!
    Microsoft Reader (without having to convert my lit files)

700p - Chatter!!
    All the software I have purchased!!
    The Plain-ness of PalmOS (yes this is a benefit)
    Did I say Chatter!!

I guess the biggest thing for me is the simple fact that I have been a PalmOS booster for so long that I am not sure if I am ready to switch but some of them benefits outweight my like of the OS.

We shall have to wait and see I guess....
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast