View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to a new 700p

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a heartbeat on day one

150 53.57%
  • Maybe not, but will see how it goes

84 30.00%
  • I am content with 650 for my needs. Dont need to spend the extra cash.

28 10.00%
  • Will wait for the next OS upgrade

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    For me, it's a no-brainer. My Zire71 only has 16MB of ram (1/2 the memory of the 650) and the graffiti area has died on me I've gotten 3 years of heavy use out of it, so I'm due for an upgrade. I'm also tired of carrying 2 devices with me all the time, so a smartphone is really the only solution. I refuse to use Outlook for security reasons, so WM5 devices are out.

For me it comes down to:
    -lots more memory(50+MB, compared to 16)
    -a *much* better browser than my Sanyo flip phone
    -faster processor (312mhz X-scale instead of 144mhz Omap)
    -EV-DO, much faster than the 1xRTT when I tether to my laptop when traveling
    -Keyboard (had one on my 95LX, been missing it ever since)
    -Fat32 support for large-capacity SD cards
    -Remote Access to my computer when I'm on the road
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    I'm ready for the 700p. Tried the 6700 and returned it after 30 days of heavy trial utilization. Still using my trusty T600 BUT will pull the trigger and use my Sprint credit-balance as soon as the 700p becomes available based on the several feature upgrades AND the familiar one-handed Treo utility that I've grown accustomed to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulas
    1st day. Since I manage a Sprint store, I'll beat all of you

know of an exact release date???
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    No, I have not heard an exact date except the 5-28 date that was on the brochure
    Yesterday.
    1. EVDO
    2. BT that WORKS!
    3. More memory!
    4. No scratches (at least initially)!
    5. Neat-o buttons!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    As soon as it's available for SERO plans. I will only upgrade if I can get a good deal. Prices aside, EVDO is the only thing that really interests me.
    If BB Connect was on the 700P and it gave the same calendar functionality as a BB or WM5 ( can invite people to meetings ) then I might switch. If no BB Connect then IMO it is worthless and I will wait for a WM5 Treo. As it stands now I have switched to a BB 8700 since my company upgraded our BES and "everything" syncs wirelessly. I still have an extra 650 sitting in the wings if I need it.
    I'll be getting one as soon as it's released for the following reasons because I still have a 600 and have wanting a 650 for as long as I can remember. As soon as I could afford the 650 though I started hearing about 700p rumors so I'm holding out. That in mind, I have the following reasons to upgrade:
    1. Hi-rez 320x320 screen! Oh how I long for the day.
    2. More memory
    3. Bluetooth
    4. WAY faster processer, which means faster internet browsing (blazer in the 600 is rediculously slow), and playable SNES emulation with LJP. Need I say more?
    5. EVDO...I don't believe it's available in my area right now but I do live right off of a major interstate so from what I've heard it'll come soon enough. Even without it my web browsing will be super fast compared to what I have now.

Now granted some of the extras like Wifi would be nice, and I'd certainly have plenty of uses for it on my LAN (ever stream movies from your server to your palm? Way fun) but there's so many other reasons to upgrade from the 600 that anything else would just be a nice bonus.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Probably very very soon after they are released. My old Clie finally gave out on me. She was a good machine, my second PDA actually.

I miss having one around, and I desperately need a PDA to keep my life straight.

j...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Is there any proof that blazer in the 700p will be able to handle EVDO such that there is a real improvement in internet speed. I have my doubts because internet speed on my 600 and 650 in blazer where always much slower then when used PDANet to surf w/ my laptop. Moreover the move to a faster processer 600--> 650 didn't seem to make too much of difference either.

What do you guys think?
    it'll suk. stick with the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    it'll suk. stick with the 650
    Why would you recomend that as apposed to getting the 600?
    TIA
    hmmm...maybe you're right...600'd prolly be more betta
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Is there any proof that blazer in the 700p will be able to handle EVDO such that there is a real improvement in internet speed. I have my doubts because internet speed on my 600 and 650 in blazer where always much slower then when used PDANet to surf w/ my laptop. Moreover the move to a faster processer 600--> 650 didn't seem to make too much of difference either.

What do you guys think?
    PDAnet even on my 600 is quite fast on my laptop, and my friend's 650 is at least significantly faster then 600 browsing speeds, while still not close to the speeds I'd get with PDAnet. This leaves me to believe that yes, blazer sucks, but the faster processor speed does at least have some impact on browser speed. The 650 blazer might not seem so fast until you go back and try to use a 600 again, and then it's just painful.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Well, we dont have EVDO in our area just yet, so I will wait until that happens. I will have had my 650 for two years in November, so if its getting close to that, I will probably wait to get the sprint discount.

Also by then we should have the new Custom Roms to fix whatever was wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    hmmm...maybe you're right...600'd prolly be more betta
    Thanks!! A11 this tech talk gets me flustered!!!ONe11!
    <merged>
    I opted for waiting till the next OS upgrade. In this case my personal preference is to wait for Access Linux Platform (ALP) instead of just getting another updated version of Garnet. Since I'm a Linux user I'll assume ALP will use little resources as well lower TCO due to opening more doors to open source software developement. I do also want better hardware specs than what's rumored for the Treo 700P. Such as providing at least 2 Mega Pixel camera with L.E.D. flash on the back with a second camera on the front for video conferencing, 128 MB memory, 4 GB internal storage drive, 3GSM, integrated WIFI/GPS or at least support for WIFI cards and the latest Bluetooth. While I do believe the Treo is the best all around smartphone for busy people always on the go I do hope to see more being offered for our hard earned dollars. Especially considering what some of us spend on either new activations or hardware upgrades, sometimes with long carrier commitments/contracts and costly voice & data price plans.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 04/15/2006 at 12:46 PM.
    I'm going to be waiting to see what the "Hollywood" is like before I change - a slimmer, antena-less Treo sounds great for my purposes, though a full keyboard is still essential and if it doesn't have that I'll go for the 700P (if a GSM version ever makes it over here...)
    Treo 270>600>650>samsung i780>pre
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    I opted for waiting till the next OS upgrade. In this case my personal preference is to wait for Access Linux Platform (ALP) instead of just getting another updated version of Garnet. Since I'm a Linux user I'll assume ALP will use little resources as well lower TCO due to opening more doors to open source software developement. I do also want better hardware specs than what's rumored for the Treo 700P. Such as providing at least 2 Mega Pixel camera with L.E.D. flash, 128 MB memory, 4 GB internal storage drive, 3GSM, integrated WIFI/GPS or at least support for WIFI cards and the latest Bluetooth. While I do believe the Treo is the best all around smartphone for busy people always on the go I do hope to see more being offered for our hard earned dollars. Especially considering what some of us spend on either new activations or hardware upgrades, sometimes with long carrier commitments/contracts and costly voice & data price plans.
    Do you really think 4GB of memory is necessary? As long as Palm adds FAT32 the cost of a 4GB SD card is around $120 right now and that will only keep falling when the 8GB are released and that will fall when the 16GB are released, etc. How much extra do you think 4GB would add to the price? 128 MB is a good upgrade, 256 would be even nicer but 4GB is an unrealistic expectation.

I do agree they need to release a wifi driver even if it's for their propietary card only. And updating bluetooth is also necessary.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast