View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to a new 700p

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a heartbeat on day one

150 53.57%
  • Maybe not, but will see how it goes

84 30.00%
  • I am content with 650 for my needs. Dont need to spend the extra cash.

28 10.00%
  • Will wait for the next OS upgrade

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That's scheduled for the Treo 999P, with ALPO II, due out in 2012. Of course, by then, WiFi will be off to 802.11z, which is backwardly incompatible with the the Treo 999P 802.11b.

LOL

The trouble with humor is, sadly, it has it's basis in some kernels of reality and truth.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'll upgrade the moment it comes out. I'm currently a T-Mobile customer and though they've been great and I love GSM, it's time for my 600 to retire. So even though I'll pay more for less minutes, don't live in an area that supports EVDO yet, I'm still going to drop the cash, switch carriers and get one for one primary reason: BlackBerry Connect. This is a big deal for me because I have to carry my Treo 600 (for my personal sanity) and my BlackBerry (for work email) and I just hate that damn BlackBerry! I travel a lot for my job and I'll have plenty of chances to take advantage of EVDO when I'm on the road. The one thing I can say about the Blackberry (more so about Verizon), is that it gets reception in places my GSM Treo won't. I'm hoping the same will be true of a 700P on Sprint.

Of course there are other features that will be nice: better screen, improved keyboard design, faster chip, more memory, FAT32 support (hopefully), bluetooth (improved from the 650 version, non-existent in the 600), and a better camera.

So though this may be a minor update for some, it's major for me coming from a 600. The only potential concern I have is the whole CDMA thing. I know that when an EVDO connection is active and a phone call comes through, it's supposed to drop back to 1X and let the call through. I've also heard that if you're in an area that only supports 1X, any calls that come through when a data connection is active will go straight to voicemail. So I'm wondering what software enhancements might become available to quickly and easily manage the data connection so that I don't miss calls. This seems like a potential problem with BlackBerry Connect making active use of the data connection throughout the day. Who knows, maybe I'll talk myself into waiting for Hollywood.
    Last edited by jeeter; 03/29/2006 at 01:37 PM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Yes, I will upgrade as soon as they're available. I'm completely fed up with the memory limitations of the 650. I'm ready for a device that I can actually install applications into RAM, rather than onto the SD card.
    I voted that I'd upgrade on day one, but since I'm on T-Mobile and will be waiting for an unlocked GSM version (fat chance T-Mobile will carry it) and since I am still on a Treo 600, I will upgrade the moment the unlocked GSM version becomes available. Unless of course, all of you on Sprint who get it tell us that it has problems!

Andrew
    I think for me it's primarily the every two year cycle, it's worn out, I have outgrown it, and it's time for new rebates combo. I have 16.9 MB free and that's with two huge programs sitting in RAM (EDGE - 1.0+ MB / VSuite - 1.5+ MB) simply for convenience.

There's no EVDO / UTMS here in my area, the 650 has same screen and I just haven't gotten my money's worth outta it yet. The 650 does everything I need it to do and it's hard to justify upgrading when I have nothing to complain about.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'll probably wait to see if Sprint will carry the W and P versions. If so, I think the W version might be better for my needs (exchange syncing, multitaksing, etc).

What I REALLY want is that new Samsung super thin smartphone that I saw on engadget a couple of weeks ago. THAT'S a hot little number!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think for me it's primarily the every two year cycle, it's worn out, I have outgrown it, and it's time for new rebates combo. I have 16.9 MB free and that's with two huge programs sitting in RAM (EDGE - 1.0+ MB / VSuite - 1.5+ MB) simply for convenience.

There's no EVDO / UTMS here in my area, the 650 has same screen and I just haven't gotten my money's worth outta it yet. The 650 does everything I need it to do and it's hard to justify upgrading when I have nothing to complain about.
    No EVDO/UMTS in Long Island? That's not good for Long Island. I always thought the bigger urban areas would have at least one of these. Can you at least get EDGE?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal
    I'll probably wait to see if Sprint will carry the W and P versions. If so, I think the W version might be better for my needs (exchange syncing, multitaksing, etc).

What I REALLY want is that new Samsung super thin smartphone that I saw on engadget a couple of weeks ago. THAT'S a hot little number!
    is the samsung slated to be released on sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    No EVDO/UMTS in Long Island? That's not good for Long Island. I always thought the bigger urban areas would have at least one of these. Can you at least get EDGE?
    Well Long Island is a big place. The Island actually includes the two NYC Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens plus Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Brooklyn has some 4 million peeps, Queens about 2.2 million, Nassau has 1.4 and Suffolk is up around 1.7 with more than half of that in the westernmost 20 miles or so (closer to NYC). After you get past there (Exit 57 on LIE) it starts getting a little green. It's funny to watch the "hamptonites " screaming at town board meetings that "we don't want no steenkin towers" and then complaing that they can't reach their wife on their cell phone so she can bring in the photos of some ugly tower that he left on the kitchen table and wants to show the board what an eyesore it would be.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Depends on whether it will support A2DP out of the box...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well Long Island is a big place. The Island actually includes the two NYC Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens plus Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
    And that exactly why I thought they'd offer some high speed there. Large urban area. Can you at least get it in Brooklyn and Queens?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    And that exactly why I thought they'd offer some high speed there. Large urban area. Can you at least get it in Brooklyn and Queens?
    Well tho Brookly and Queens are geographically on the "island", mot pees don't think of it that way.....since their grannies were taking them to Jones Beach, a trip out to the beach by a Brooklynite or Queenzie was called "going out to Long Island" . Suffolk County's area is probably equal to the other three counties combined. As you head east from NYC, you get about 8 or 9 exits past the nassau / Suffolk border before you find dead spots with more as you keep ehadinge ast. Coverage picks up a bit in "the hamptons". One of the problems is local town governement s refuse to allow tower sites in residential areas....and in soem areas, there's not that much industry.

Nassau Brooklyn and Queens are on the EVDO maps. I heard that UTMS is also in the big city.
    If this won't be available, I will switch to the 700W and kiss my Palm OS goodbye I am runing out of patience! Also with a Codi Case available soon for the 700. Love this case for the 650!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I want the 700p because;

-I want EVDO
    -I want to browse the web faster
    -I want to stream ptunes faster
    -I want to be online via verichat and still have the phone ring(alway-on data like GSM)
    -I want more ram in the unit.
    -I want it just because i have been waiting for a while.

Will I buy it on the first day?

NO way, im going to wait for reviews and see what others say
    then ill convince myself to buy it
    Besides I'll wait until it gets cheaper a bit (doubt)
    Im guessing its going to go as high as $550 on ebay and a good deal would be like $500
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    -I want to be online via verichat and still have the phone ring(alway-on data like GSM)
    Not sure if this is possible with the current sprint evdo....correct me if I'm wrong. GSM is not a true always on either.
    I'm wondering what its going to be like browsing at EDVO speed with blazer. I'm not sure its even going to be that great which is why I'm waiting to see the reviews before I even look at buying it.

The OS is just getting dated, there is only so many tweaks you can make to it. I'm spoiled now using Netfront on WM5 and the recent ROM upgrade for my 6700 has even made PIE incredibly fast, cudos to Sprint on that.

I'll be taking a wait and see approach until I know if Palm released a good phone or something more in line with the 700W with its memory leaks and in general ALMOST good design.
    I am a dedicated Kyocera 6035 user and haven't yet upgraded because I just use the simple things in a smartphone like a contact list (>200) sorted by categories (>10), a book reader and a calendar linked to outlook. I also prize stability over bells and whistles like music players & color screens. My 6035 has had one hard reset since 2001 and I average less than one soft reset ever 6 months.

I would like to have EVDO with bluetooth/usb connection to my laptop. I am looking forward to a more modern browser with a decent screen and fast connection for those times my laptop isn't handy!

Maybe this phone will also last me for five years
    it will definitely be very interesting seeing the blazer and EVDO combo.

the new more squarish form-factor will have me wanting the unit regardless..

the looks of my t650 is getting a bit outdated for my taste. (this and everyone and their mamas have a T650)

i say bring on the new!
    i WISH the Treo 700P would be a solid black color....

that would be so cool!