1.    #1  
    I recently got a Treo 650 and want to use it as a wi-fi detector.
    now don't give me the speech about you might as well use your laptop, i hate taking my laptop out and in and out and get nothing. it's big laptop.

and I just recently moved to NYC, my apt got a locked signal so i can't steal it and i'm sure if i can use my treo 650 for checking email, i can use it to detect wi-fi, i just can't find that software.

help~?
    It's really much better at detecting cosmic radiation. Wifi detection? Not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkwok12
    now don't give me the speech about you might as well use your laptop, i hate taking my laptop out and in and out and get nothing. it's big laptop.

and I just recently moved to NYC, my apt got a locked signal so i can't steal it and i'm sure if i can use my treo 650 for checking email, i can use it to detect wi-fi, i just can't find that software.

help~?
    Well, since it has no WiFi I'm thinking you'll have a tough time with this...
    I think it will work fine. You can use the Web browser on your 650 to locate the nearest Wi-Fi hotspots.

Then when you get there, turn on your laptop computer and all should work fine.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    This software worked pretty good for me.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=78924&R=78924
    If you press the w-i-f buttons at the same time, it will activate the wi-fi detector on the Treo. Then the screen will flash three times when it detects a wireless connection. Don't forget to deactivate it as it uses a lot of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    If you press the w-i-f buttons at the same time, it will activate the wi-fi detector on the Treo. Then the screen will flash three times when it detects a wireless connection. Don't forget to deactivate it as it uses a lot of battery life.
    Please don't confuse him. If he holds down the w-i-f buttoms at the same, time, he might accidentally also hit the option button which would transmit all of his credit card numbers on to the Treo Central blog.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by pkwok12

help~?
    It should be as simple as turning my trouble free Sprint/T650 into a radar detector right?

Chuck
    What everyone is saying... well, ONE thing that everyone is saying... is that the Treo 650 isn't a wi-fi enabled phone, therefore you cannot use it to detect wi-fi hotspots. The fact that your Treo can connect to the internet has absolutley nothing to do with wi-fi. Your Treo can no more tell you where wi-fi spots are than it can tell you where phone lines are.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Or, perhaps a more useful answer would be to tell the poor guy to buy the Enfora Wi-Fi Sled.

http://www.enfora.com/shop/detail.aspx?ID=43

Then whatever netstumbler-like PalmOS app that may exist.