Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    this is very frustrating...
    all i wanted from goodlink were corporate emails and calendar syncing...
    now my contacts are significantly handicapped...

outlook contacts were clumsy but full featured...
    goodlink's contact interface is sluggish and severely limited...

no voice dialing...
    no contact picture...
    no personalized ringtones (really annoys me- i've come to rely on them)...
    only one work number per contact...
    no department/office info...
    no personal info- (i.e. spouse, birthday)...

is there a way to change the settings on either the phone (cingular 8125), the goodlink software on the phone or the goodllink server to not sync/use goodlink contacts and abandon them altogether? like i said, facing these issues, i'd be happy only with emails OTA...

if the faults i noted were fixed i would have no issues with goodlink... as it stands, i will continue to advise against switching and direct our IT guys to explore other options...

i'd appreciate any input...
    Last edited by brunoflipper; 03/28/2006 at 11:48 AM.
    A short answer to your question is no, you can't select and choose which aspects ot Outlook to sync or which portions of GL to use. To address some specifics:

Contact info: Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to sync every single field from the Outlook contacts into GoodLink. A work around, kludgy as it may be, is to use the notes in the Outlook contact for the additional information you are looking to sync. Another thing some are doing is using the pager number field for additional phone numbers. I agree, this is not the cleanest way and I have not heard of any changes to what we will or not sync to contacts.
  3.    #3  
    i appreciate your responding but am extremely frustrated with the answer...
    the limited implementation of the outlook fields makes no sense...
    and gl should be broken down into three options- just like activesync- calendar vs. email vs. contacts...

i hope these options are added in future updates or we will have to look elsewhere for a solution...

thanks again for your reply...
    I don't know if this is an option, but another work around (and yes, I don't like having to do it this way, but it does work) is to use activesync to synchronize your contacts as well as Goodlink. You wind up with two sets of contact information on your PPC, but picture ID's work and you have access to more of the information contained in your desktop Outlook.
  5.    #5  
    that is what i've resorted to doing but i can't change the "contacts" softkey in wm5 to direct from gl to outlook... which would be a reasonable fix for some of the contacts issues... but gl still knocks out my personalized ringtones and voice dial...
  6.    #6  
    goodguy can you find out where in the wm5 registry that goodlink has made changes that overide the default right softkey settings?

ive changed
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\113
    back to default bt goodlink still pops up when i press contacts...
  7.    #7  
    when a device gets reprovisioned all of the goodlink features i.e. contacts, notes, admin, calendar are done a distinct "services"... why can't certain services simply be blocked?? (i.e. yes- calendar, yes- email, no-contacts) ...
    it seems like a very simple feature to offer...

i'd suggest goodlink step-up or they'lll lose clients to ms (with ex sp2 msfp available)...
    their only hope is to continue to offer something better... more secure with AT LEAST the same features inherent to ms outlook...
    brunoflipper, I am sorry you are not finding the features in GL to your liking. However, I have seen sp2 in action and I have no fear of losing clients to that product. Yes, we will lose some in the SMB space, however, MSFP is nowhere near ready for the enterprise market, which is our target space. It lacks the security, device management and ease of use and deployment that GL has. Is GL perfect? Nope, but we are trying. Will we ever provide a product that will please 100% of the people out there? Nope, but I can't think of a single product in any industry that can meet that standard. The bottom line is we have 100's of thousands of users in the enterprise, including Fortune 50 companies that have looked at MSFP and realize that it does not come anywhere close to the feature set offered by GL.
    I've loved GoodLink, but I'm close to leaving for BlackBerry or something else. I constantly get low storage memory alerts on my Cingular 2125 - I don't know whether it's because I have to sync contacts separately to have text messaging work ok, or just because the memory footprint of GL is just too big. Considering that after a fresh hard reset with only GL installed I have about 2MB free, I suspect the culprit is GL's storage memory requirements.

I WISH GoodLink would release a version that is just a synchronization engine...it'd be great if it pushed e-mail and synchronization to the device but used the MS SmartPhone databases for Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks - instead of GL's apps. Why is that not possible? Then we could use things like voice dialing, text and MMS messaging, and other phone apps seamlessly.
  10.    #10  
    your tone is condescending... i understand product limitations and the difficulty of end-user feature requests... i'm aware of msfp's own issues, which is why we initially went with gl...

the items i've cited as problematic for me are basic features within wm5/outlook and your product's current solution (to ignore them) is weak...

if goodlink has convinced themselves that they have no competition and do not need to push themselves they will one day be surpassed...

i've spoken to our IT director and guess what? since going live with the service, he keeps getting the same complaints... "the email is great but i want my ringtones/voice dial/additional contact data/etc."... it may seem trivial to you, but device customization has become a major driver for consumers...

i'll continue to use the product, because push is critical, but it is inadequate...

maybe you could pass the requests on?
    I apologize if my tone appeared condescending as that was not my intention. As I said, I understand that GL is not 100% perfect and all the product enhancement requests I get here get forwarded on to our development group.
  12.    #12  
    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoflipper
    i've spoken to our IT director and guess what? since going live with the service, he keeps getting the same complaints... "the email is great but i want my ringtones/voice dial/additional contact data/etc."... it may seem trivial to you, but device customization has become a major driver for consumers...
    I made a go of it with GL a while back and completely abandoned it. My biggest complaints were that it took up way too much space on my Treo and that it wanted to replace every native DB it was syncing from Exchange. Now, I fully appreciate the design goals and approach that GL have made. But, in my case, I found the compromises that resulted were unacceptable for me.

What I wound up doing was falling back onto IMAP and have been using ChatterEmail against Exchange (IMAP) with great success. ChatterEmail OWA (uses HTTP interface and implements push updates) is in the works, too, for those for which IMAP to Exchange isn't an option. The big miss here is that this doesn't yet support any kind of wireless sync of Contact or other PIM data with Exchange... but the design of the module could easily be extended for the purpose.

I believe there are some other works in progress based on the OWA API as well. The bottom line is that we will eventually have an OWA-based mechanism for syncing PIM data sooner or later. GL is there now, obviously. Which product will work best is really a matter of which sets of trade-offs you are able to live with.
    I used IMAP for the last couple of years with my Treo (all of them - one of each). I recently purchased a Cingular 8125 - and installed Goodlink. In my opinion the program appears to have been written with the mindset that it would be the only application running on WM5. Using it is putting a bad taste on my using WM5. While the company may have been able to convince Cingular & thousands of other clients - I give it a thumbs DOWN for lack of foresight and producing a less than stellar product. Could it be a plot...???
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I can't speak to the WM5 solution, but since the latest 650 FW update, I'm quite happy with Good on the 650. Consistently over 3 Mb DBCache. Performance is fine. Regular memory fine. No resets. And on the 650 I can use native contacts, not Good's.

I hope they catch up with their WM5 solution. I'm pretty darn happy with in on the 650 now.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Santa, I probably shouldn't have double posted but it appears that Goodlink is ignoring its clients and typically I do not negate poorly written software and in fact mostly encourage the development and use new software (I beta test my house automation software all the time). I will continue to post this type of message on multiple boards because Goodlink had better start listening - I for one am removing this software from my MW5 phone because contradicts its intended purpose of making my job easier and I will continue to scold a software company that charges for software, deploys and expects its paid users to debug it.
    Can anyone tell me (approx.) what the available storage memory is on a Cingular 8125 after installing GoodLink? I am constantly having low storage alerts on my 2125 with no other apps installed. There is less than 2 MB available storage memory after installing GoodLink. I'm hoping that number is higher with the 8125.
    I'm running GoodLink on my 8125 and with just GoodLink 4.8 (other than the pre-installed apps) I have 23.13 MB free for storage and 12.94 MB free for program.

I'm running Ringo (nice app that lets you create custom ringtones even with GL installed) as well, but it runs from the SD card.
    | Ted Johnson | Tech Support Lead, Lanlogic Inc | www.lanlogic.net |
    Quote Originally Posted by veblen
    Can anyone tell me (approx.) what the available storage memory is on a Cingular 8125 after installing GoodLink? I am constantly having low storage alerts on my 2125 with no other apps installed. There is less than 2 MB available storage memory after installing GoodLink. I'm hoping that number is higher with the 8125.
    For me, GoodLink takes right at 13mb of storage memory. I've got a bunch of other stuff installed that takes up a significant amount of storage memory (voice command - takes 3.5mb, microsoft communicator - takes 2.0mb, tomtom - 4mb, ) which takes me to 12mb of storage memory free. The last time I did a hard reset and installed GoodLink first, I think I was at 44mb of storage memory. I also don't install very many of the cingular customizations that are in extended rom, so that may help as well.

*Edit*

Check out UPX http://upx.sourceforge.net/ . I just freed up an additional 6mb of storage memory by compressing my largest .exe files, including GoodLink.
    Last edited by CameronJ; 05/17/2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronJ
    Check out UPX http://upx.sourceforge.net/ . I just freed up an additional 6mb of storage memory by compressing my largest .exe files, including GoodLink.
    Thanks for the scoop. Looks like I'll be getting an 8125.

I'd love some tips on how to use that UPX software. It wasn't initially obvious to me how to apply that to a Pocket PC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast