Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoflipper
    your tone is condescending... i understand product limitations and the difficulty of end-user feature requests... i'm aware of msfp's own issues, which is why we initially went with gl...

the items i've cited as problematic for me are basic features within wm5/outlook and your product's current solution (to ignore them) is weak...

if goodlink has convinced themselves that they have no competition and do not need to push themselves they will one day be surpassed...

i've spoken to our IT director and guess what? since going live with the service, he keeps getting the same complaints... "the email is great but i want my ringtones/voice dial/additional contact data/etc."... it may seem trivial to you, but device customization has become a major driver for consumers...

i'll continue to use the product, because push is critical, but it is inadequate...

maybe you could pass the requests on?
    His tone is always like that. Everyone else is bad but his product. Oh well...what can you expect.
    gharrod, I have said before and I will make the offer again: If you wish to start a thread comparing the features and functionality of GoodLink and any other wireless email solution out there, please do. However, based on previous posts, it appears you know very little about GoodLink and yet insist on bashing it and trolling, as evidenved by your posting a response to a 3 week old post.

Every other product is not bad. I happen to think that the combination of GoodLink's features and security for our target market, make it the best option out there. Is it for everyone? Nope, and I have said that repeatedly. Is it better than what MSFT offers? Yes and there are non-biased, third-party articles written that state such.
    Quote Originally Posted by veblen
    Thanks for the scoop. Looks like I'll be getting an 8125.

I'd love some tips on how to use that UPX software. It wasn't initially obvious to me how to apply that to a Pocket PC.
    It's actually not to difficult. The UPX application isn't a PPC application, you have to copy the .exe or .dll file from your PPC to your PC, run UPX (which compresses the file) and then copy the compressed file back to the PPC.
    Got it - thanks, Cameron.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    And on the 650 I can use native contacts, not Good's.

How do you do that? I have been looking for something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    ...However, I have seen sp2 in action and I have no fear of losing clients to that product. Yes, we will lose some in the SMB space, however, MSFP is nowhere near ready for the enterprise market, which is our target space. It lacks the security, device management and ease of use and deployment that GL has.
    Goodguy, your not encompassing WM5 devices in that statement are you? Strictly Palm-based OS devices, correct?
    No, since MSFP only supports WM5, I am referring to WM5 devices.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks
    How do you do that? I have been looking for something like that.
    You can follow the suggestions on this blog: http://www.chaddickerson.com/blog/20...with-goodlink/
  9.    #29  
    that is the sort of fix i'm looking for WM5... i really, really, really hate the goodlink contacts...
    I have actually had success having my IT staff back version my device to version 4.7.110, this version actually allows you to sync your contacts to the pocket outlook for today screen dialing via Active Sync and also allows you full good functionality.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoflipper View Post
    that is the sort of fix i'm looking for WM5... i really, really, really hate the goodlink contacts...
    after three months i found the fix...aaandrewa
    My mom bought me this phone Phone(s):
    1:
    2:
    3:
    Provider(s):

How To: Override the Contacts Softkey with Goodlink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after much frustration, I finally figured out a way to override the right softkey after installing Goodlink so that the Outlook contacts comes up instead of the Goodlink Contacts.

Several people have tried adding the 113 registry entry and pointing it to the outlook contacts shortcut in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pocket Outlook\Contacts.lnk. However, while that link works from the Start Menu, it doesn't when you assign it to the softkey. The assignment works (you can verify this by changing the name of the softkey). However, it still somehow pulls up the Goodlink Contacts.

The best option would be to type in the actual program name into the 113 registry entry. However, since there isn't a separate Contacts.exe program, you can't do that. You have to type in "poutlook.exe contacts", which it won't interpret correctly.

So, the way I finally got it to work was by creating a new registry entry to replace :MSCONTACTS, which is what the Contacts.lnk file mentioned above refers to. Somehow, the Goodlink contacts program overrides the :MSCONTACTS value when it is called from the softkey.

So, here goes.

First, create a key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai
    called ":MSCONTACTS2". Now, copy all of the values in the ":MSCONTACTS" key over to the ":MSCONTACTS2" key. Edit the "1" value so that it says "poutlook.exe contacts". You have now created a new shortcut/service/whatever to open contacts. However, this service won't be overridden by Goodlink.

Now, Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys

There should already be a 112 key (which refers to the left softkey). Create a 113 key for the right sotkey. Copy the two values from the 112 key to the 113 key. Rename the "Default" value to say "Contacts" (this is the display value for the softkey). Rename the "Open" value to say ":MSCONTACTS2", which is the entry we just created.

The right softkey will work immediately without restart. However, my phone freaked out the first time I received a call and kept ringing. So, I did a soft reset. However, when you do that, you end up losing the registry entries you made for some reason. So, instead of doing a soft reset, turn off your device. It then shuts down gracefully and saves the registry values. When it boots up you should be ready to go.

Enjoy.
    here is the post-
    ""
    Hi,

I followed these steps and got the right side softkey to bring up the native Outlook Contacts app.

However, it does not affect the Contacts softkey in the phone app. That still brings up the GoodLink Contacts. How do I make it bring up the Outlook Contacts? What are the registry keys to edit?

Also, the more important piece that I really want to get working is custom ringtones. I want the phone app to look up incoming calls using the native Outlook Contacts and not the GoodLink Contacts. How do I do this?

BTW, I am doing this on a Cingular 8525 (HTC TyTn).

Thanks.
    Before you start messing with that stuff you had better check your Good service contract. It may be against the contract to try and take back control of your device from GMM
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    I never read the service contract. Someone in my IT team probably did. I will deal with it when I need to. Thanks for your advice. BTW, are you from GoodLink? :-)

Doing some further research I have found that if I get rid of a file called "GLPhoneSrv.dll" from the GoodLink folder and reboot the device then the phone app seems to use the native Outlook Contacts when looking up incoming calls. So now the ringtone set in the Outlook Contacts works! There does not seem to be any downside getting rid of this file so far. My guess is that it is primarily used for the incoming call lookup handling and since it is not there anymore the phone app reverts to its native lookup handling.

So now the only thing I have not yet figured out is how to make the Contacts button in the phone app bring up the Outlook Contacts. It still brings up the GoodLink Contacts and I am not able to figure out how GoodLink inserts itself to handle this button. Anyway, this is now just a minor annoyance since I can go to the Today screen and bring up the Outlook Contacts easily (based on the previous registry editing instructions in this thread.) Nevertheless, if anyone else figures this out please share.
    I would like for Goodguy to ask some of the tech guys if Alperi's solution of killling GLPhoneSrv.dll will work and what are the drawbacks if any.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Hmm ... ignore my previous post. I did some more testing and what I previously said really does not work as I said.

I'm not sure how I missed this, but it turns out that it works as I stated after a reboot and works only until GoodLink is launched. However, once any of the GoodLink apps are launched the GoodLink Contacts take over as the preferred contacts. Only if a number is not found in the GoodLink Contacts are the native Outlook Contacts used.

So it's back to square one. I'll have to do some more research. Maybe there is a way of using the some APIs in the Phone app to do what I want.
    msfp isn't all that bad despite what some might want to lead you to believe. compared to the problems and limitations and expecially memory hog of GL.

Quote Originally Posted by brunoflipper View Post
    your tone is condescending... i understand product limitations and the difficulty of end-user feature requests... i'm aware of msfp's own issues, which is why we initially went with gl...

the items i've cited as problematic for me are basic features within wm5/outlook and your product's current solution (to ignore them) is weak...

if goodlink has convinced themselves that they have no competition and do not need to push themselves they will one day be surpassed...

i've spoken to our IT director and guess what? since going live with the service, he keeps getting the same complaints... "the email is great but i want my ringtones/voice dial/additional contact data/etc."... it may seem trivial to you, but device customization has become a major driver for consumers...

i'll continue to use the product, because push is critical, but it is inadequate...

maybe you could pass the requests on?
    I almost switched over to MSFP but then decided against it for 2 primary reasons:

1. I can not flag emails on my mobile device. I can't believe that MS decided to not support this feature in Pocket Outlook. If they did any user research they would have found that most people just read email and flag it on their mobile for later response when they get to a desktop.

2. They don't synchronize the Notes app over the air with the server. I can't quite figure out why this is the only one of all the pocket office apps they don't sync. You have to use local Activesync to a PC to sync your Notes.

I can't do without both of these. So I am stuck for now with GL :-(

Hope MS fixes the above issues or GL gets distinctive rings working.
    Though you can synchronize subfolders of the inbox using MSFP, there is no notification that mail has arrived in any folder other than inbox. If you use rules then the lack of notification in MSFP really hurts...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12