1.    #1  
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...xt_update.html
    For those of you who haven't already fixed this in your custom ROM.

"This update addresses an issue with the Smart Text Engine after taking the 1.20 update for your Treo 650.

After taking the 1.20 update to your Treo 650 you may have noticed a change in behavior in certain aspects of SMS Chat mode. In particular;

Emoticons -In Chat View, emoticons (smiley icons) would not appear correctly.
    Carriage returns -In Chat View, extraneous box characters ([]) would occasionally appear in the Messaging application when the user entered a carriage return.

For the emoticon issue the problem would appear in Chat View when the user attempts to send an emoticon. The display would actually show the characters the user entered to invoke the emoticon instead of the emoticon images. This behavior usually happens when there are no spaces between the emoticons and text or other emoticons.
    The carriage return issue occurs as the occasional appearance of box characters ([]) when the user enters a carriage return in chat mode. This update should resolve both of these issues.

System Requirements
    The Smart Text Engine Update requires the following minimum system requirements:

Palm Treo 650 device:
    Treo 650 unlocked GSM or Rogers branded
    82 KB of free space
    Operating system:
    PC running Windows 98/NT 4.0/2000/Me/XP
    Previous Update
    1.20 Update for Treo 650"
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Thanks for the heads-up! I've just incorporated this update .prc into my custom ROM and did the update again. Now I don't have to waste 82KB of RAM for this fix.
    Thanks for the heads up! I just did the 1.20 update, so I'm going to download and install this fix now. I did notice this problem in my sms after the 1.20 update.
    great!
    and all along i thought one of my apps was causing the anomalities.....
    that i actually hard reset and install my apps all over....and trust me, i gave up!
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    this update deleted all my sms messages :-(