Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Ok so I have my treo running right now and it's running perfectly save for a couple problems that I'm having with Bluetooth. First of all I have a Motorola 850 and right now I'm having a problem getting it to stay connected via the Bluetooth. When someone calls I can answer from the headset and I can end the call from the headset, but once I end the call or the other person ends the call it automatically closes the bluetooth connection. So if I try to make another call right afterwards I have to make the call from the phone and then activate the headset, it won't just automatically pickup. Also I can't do the redial from the headset either or program voice dials using the headset.

So my first question then is there any changes that I can do to make the bluetooth better? The reception isn't that great so if I could get a update or anything placed into my ROM that would be great.

The next question is that in my custom ROM I have deleted Versamail because it sucks. My job is now moving forward with implementing push email for all of the corporate owned treo's. Mine isn't corporate owned but I'm going to get all of my emails pushed to my phone also. I know that they don't use Versamail as the app but is there going to be a conflict now that I don't have Versamail and the meail won't work or does that not matter?
    Sorry, I can't help you in regards to bluetooth - I never use it. I listen to a lot of music with my Treo, so I predominantly use a 2-in-1 wired headset.

I don't think the mail app you use really matters. If you want push email, Chatter is the way to go, however. I'm sure your IT's can set it up for you.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    By the way, GoodLink is also a popular push email solution for corporations.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Ok so that means that it doesn't matter that I don't have Versamail in my ROM?
    I use the Treo Wireless Headset in car cradle w/ HPS. When I call comes in I usually answer from the phone screen as it's 2" from my right hand on the wheel rather than going all the way up to the headset. I had previously found that bucket seats and holsters aren't a good match. The calls immediately transfer to the headset. On outgoung calls, again 1 tap on the Treo side button 2" from my hand launches Vsuite which voice dials the call and once picked up, it automatically switches to the headset.

One thing....after a few weeks in the cradle, BT behavior started getting weird. I had turned beaming off and pairing while in the cradle became spotty....fine outside of cradle , just in. Fpr whatever reason, turning beaming on solved the weirdness.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I have turned beaming on but that still doesn't seem to help. I wish I could do even what you're talking about, when i answer the phone with my phone I then have to reach up and click the button on my headset in order for it to go to the headset. I also have to do the same even if I hang up a call and then immediately try to call again I again have to click on the headset. This is unacceptable, so I either need to know if it's my headset that is giving me bad quality on some of my calls and syncing problems or if it's actually my treo which is is the problem and I need to create a custom ROM or some other way to fix it.
    Unlike all other BT phones the Treo intentionally does NOT stay connected to your headset. That is what is causing your BT issues.

What I mean is a normal phone stays connected so a call can directly be routed to the headset.

While the Treo (for some bizarre reason) will only stay connected for 30 seconds. This is not a defect it is actually the way it is designed.

Open your headset and you will notice a headset icon appear on the very top of the phone screen. Watch it, after 30ish seconds it will disappear.

That is how long between calls you have to dial the next call. If you are slightly over that amount the Treo drops the BT connection. Once it drops the connection it is unable to reconnect for about 10 seconds.

So if you make or receive a call during those 10 seconds your call will not get routed to your headset.

Another negative side effect of it not always being connected (as it should be) is that every time you make or receive a call it has to search for and find your headset again, and so takes longer to route the call to the headset then any other phone does.

If you (or they) answer before it has found your headset then the call will often not get routed to your headset.

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing you can do about these issues, that is simply the way palm designed it.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Well, if they aren't going to use Versamail I really don't see why it'd be a problem getting rid of it.
    I use the Motorola HS805... Not sure how relevant my headset is to yours, but this may help...

1. Motorola BT headsets don't store the voice tags in the headset, but rely on the device to store them. This is not compatible with Treo. For this feature to work, the voice tag must be stored in the headset (and voice recognition in the headset). There are no 3rd party apps on the Treo that will allow you to use your BT headset to voice dial.

2. On incoming calls, it will take 1-2 rings on your phone before your BT headset will start ringing. This is normal.

3. When originating calls from the phone, it may take a couple seconds for the call to pair with your headset. Until then, your treo speaker will handle the call. This response time can be increased if you are near a WiFi transmission device, such as a wireless router or laptop, and it can also interfere with the sound quality of the BT headset.

4. Redial - on my 805 it is accomplished by holding down the button on the headset until you hear a long tone. Don't continue to hold it down after the tone sounds or the headset will shut off. If your treo is sleeping, it will wake up as long as you have "Discoverable" set to "yes" in your bluetooth settings (I may be wrong on this, as the settings have changed over the various firmware revisions).

FYI to BT users, the Motorola HS805 BT headset works pretty well with the Treo. It's the only one I know of that uses an AAA battery instead of a charger and internal battery. I bought it because I hate having to carry a charger around wherever I go. I use a rechargeable NiMH 700mah AAA battery with it, and carry an extra, fully charged companion with me in my briefcase. On a full charge, I get about 5-6 days use before it dies. I talk about an hour per day. On the downside, there is no low battery warning with the rechargeable batteries - the call simply xfers back to the treo. I know with some headsets, the call can drop if the battery dies. Another advantage of the AAA cell is that if you're desperate, you can get an AAA alkaline battery from just about any store, and a single AAA alkaline should provide over 20 hours of talk time and up to 2 weeks of standby.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, if they aren't going to use Versamail I really don't see why it'd be a problem getting rid of it.

Beyond which, just because you deleted the program from ROM doesn't mean you can't load it from RAM. You *did* keep copies of the files you deleted, didn't you?

I second the Chattermail recommendation.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcap
    Beyond which, just because you deleted the program from ROM doesn't mean you can't load it from RAM. You *did* keep copies of the files you deleted, didn't you?

I second the Chattermail recommendation.
    No I didn't but I don't really want to use Versamail, so I didn't keep copies but if I wanted I could just extract it from a fresh ROM download on Palmone.com. Thanks for the responses but my company already installed Goodlink on my phone and I'm now using a corporate app to push email and it's working awesome.

As for the BT again Chillin' I wish I was having that even happen with my phone. When I make a call with my BT headset AS SOON as the call hangs up I lose bluetooth connectivity. If i press the button on my headset right now to pair the headset (or if I open the headset) it connects for 2 seconds literally. I see it turn white like its connected then immediately it turns blue like it does when bluetooth is in standby. Guess it's just my headset i will try another one hopefully that one doesn't have these problems.