1.    #1  
    Hey all,

So I wanted to get some more experienced users' input on something I _think_ I've noticed.

While out of the country I couldn't use my Treo as a cell phone, but it got plenty of use as a PDA.

Sometimes I would turn it on and it would be back in the phone app, when I SWEAR I left it at the "home" screen. I looked for crashes or resets using ##377# and nothing had happened.

It happened more than once.... unless I'm totally crazy. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    How was that manual....a good read?

Try turning it back on using the red phone button rather than the green one.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Even if he turns it on using the Red button, sometimes it can end up on a menu that he doesn't think he was at.
    Example:
    If you left it in your pocket and the Message/Email button accidently got pushed. The Message/Email program would open, but the keyguard would leave the treo locked (if on), then the treo screen turns off. Pressing the Red button would then open at this last opened program (Message/Email in this example).

Are you finding that it might open at either email, or calendar, or phone? These are the same as your default mapped buttons - thus if they get pressed once while in your pocket, then when you open with the Red button it opens on any one of these.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Are you finding that it might open at either email, or calendar, or phone?
    Hey thanks for the HELPFUL reply. Actually so far just the phone app, but your explaination makes perfect sense! All it took was a simple 10 second repro and I've confirmed that this is probably what's going on!

While I haven't noticed this with other "buttoned" apps (I've changed the defaults) it certainly makes sense that it could happen in the future with them as well. Maybe my pocket just likes the green button.

Thanks again, I'm SLIGHTLY paranoid after initially getting a bad unit, so any hint of "weirdness" and my mind starts racing!

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl
    Hey thanks for the HELPFUL reply. Actually so far just the phone app, but your explaination makes perfect sense! All it took was a simple 10 second repro and I've confirmed that this is probably what's going on!

While I haven't noticed this with other "buttoned" apps (I've changed the defaults) it certainly makes sense that it could happen in the future with them as well. Maybe my pocket just likes the green button.

Thanks again, I'm SLIGHTLY paranoid after initially getting a bad unit, so any hint of "weirdness" and my mind starts racing!
    My response WAS meant to be helpful. Search around and you will see that MANY people do not know that using the red button turns the screen on and off and they always use the green button which will launch the phone app.

Maybe my sarcasm was unwarranted, so for that..sorry, but your issue sounded the same as several other posts recently.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    extra - that was exactly the first thing I thought of too.....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    My response WAS meant to be helpful.
    Well thanks anyway then. I don't consider myself a complete newbie and normally I am an advocate of the "RTFM" mentallity, but at the time was looking for a solution to my potential problem. I also read the entire manual cover to cover shortly after my purchase. So I too apologize for my sarcasm.

I didn't know there was a similar issue out there with a much simpler explanation- although I did do a search beforehand, as always.

Since I thought it was a "state transition" I probably didn't search for the appropriate terms to find such threads however!

--Andrew Tanenbaum