Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I’ve been using my Sprint Treo 650 for over a year now. During that time, I have accumulated a bunch of apps, both paid and free, that really make my Treo an indispensable tool every day. Many of these apps reside within my large 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD memory card, so it’s important to have a large card. I must have spent hundreds of dollars on all these apps, and over time, I’ve discovered the ones that are the most useful to me for my needs.

Not included in this list are a bunch of other apps that I’ve paid for but don’t use anymore for various reasons. I can say that all these apps listed below happily co-exist with each other for the most part, and I get very few soft resets. I have categorized my favorite apps into several different areas, and this list is not necessarily in any particular order. This list of apps is probably nothing new for the experienced Treo user, but to anyone new to the Treo, this may be useful to you. I have also included my comments for each app which may be useful.

EMAIL APPS:

ChatterEmail (Cost $39.00)
    Having push email on my Treo is extremely useful. It’s like having a CrackBerry, only 10 times better! I reaaaaaaally like being notified instantly of all new emails…too good! I’ve been able to respond to urgent emails so much faster. It’s also a big advantage that Chatter operates in the background, so it doesn’t tie up other applications I’m working with. I also like the way it shows an icon of how many new email messages I have in the Phone screen, and it also vibrates to discreetly let me know of new messages. In the past, I always had to press the stupid “get new” button for new emails…that’s now history. Only downside to having all this “instant-ness” is that battery life gets drained faster…that’s why I keep an A/C charger handy, plus multiple charged batteries on hand while on the road. I estimate that battery life gets drained faster by at least 1/3, and maybe more. But the advantage of instant push email is worth it for me, and offsets the battery drain issue. ChatterEmail is well worth the cost.

SnapperMail Enterprise ($59.95)
    This is what I used to use before switching to ChatterEmail for its push capability. SnapperMail has a big problem of unexpectedly deleting all my emails without warning every so often…which is a huge pisser! This happened to me several times on 2 different Treo 650s. I’ve emailed the developer on this issue awhile back, but did not receive a satisfactory solution to the problem. It’s a shame, because SnapperMail is actually a well designed email app. On the positive side, I still use SnapperMail for one purpose only, which is to download and upload attachments via emails. SnapperMail is superior for sending and receiving all forms of attachments (eg: JPEG pictures, Word, Excel, WAV, .PRC, etc). I have found SnapperMail to be more reliable than ChatterEmail for doing attachments, especially laaaaarge file sizes. Overall, SnapperMail is actually a well designed program that does emails and attachments well, but the fact that it periodically deletes all my emails whenever it feels like it is completely unacceptable.

VersaMail (Free)
    This one email program is often the subject of ridicule. Everyone who buys a new Treo uses VersaMail for 2 reasons: It’s built into the Treo, and it’s free. The concept of free tends to be a huge motivator! Neither reason is a good reason to use VersaMail for very long. I dislike the way it deletes emails, which requires multiple steps, or else all the deleted emails come back to you again…Argh!! Also frustrating is that I was never able to get VersaMail to automatically check for new emails at a predetermined time. This alleged auto-get feature simply never worked for me, even despite doing 2 different firmware upgrades through Sprint. With all this bashing, I will now say that VersaMail is only useful to me for exactly one thing only, which is its ability to handle vCard and iCalendar attachments very well. This means I can receive an Outlook Contact attachment through VersaMail, and the contact’s information will get automatically installed wirelessly to either the Treo’s internal Contact database, or into my Beyond Contact’s Contact database…whichever choice I want. It’s so convenient to be able to download Contact information wirelessly, than having to type all the information manually with 2 thumbs!! VersaMail can also handle iCalendar attachments, whereby a calendar event can be downloaded wirelessly into my Treo’s internal calendar app, or in my case into DateBook 5. What’s strange though is that I cannot figure out how to make a calendar event download to Beyond Contact’s calendar, and can only download to the Treo’s internal calendar instead (or DateBook 5). Actually, there is one other useful feature of VersaMail, which is the fact that it’s built into the Treo’s internal memory. If in the event of a hard reset and erasure of all programs, VersaMail will be the only email app on your Treo. In times of desperation, when you’re in the middle of a hard reset while on the road, VersaMail will be appreciated! Also, did I mention that VersaMail is free?? Oh yeah, I did already!

AOL 3.3 (Cost $19.95)
    I got this program through Handango before I knew about SnapperMail or ChatterEmail. The one really useful feature of AOL 3.3 is that it will retrieve all my past emails in the Old Mail and Sent Mail folders, even despite me having already deleted the emails through ChatterEmail or SnapperMail. In other words, if I want to retrieve an old email message that I had recently deleted through Chatter or Snapper, I can simply log onto AOL 3.3 which in turn will retrieve all my past emails for the past few months, even despite having recently deleted them through Chatter or Snapper! Believe me, this has come in handy on a few occasions! The one huge downside of AOL 3.3 is that it does not handle attachments at all…cannot send or receive attachments. The other minor downside is that I have never been able to figure out how to use the I.M. function, even though it has this feature built into it. Lastly, if you don’t use America On Line, you should obviously disregard this app.

UTILITY APPS:

VolumeCare – Version 5.30 (Cost $19.95)
    This is a must-have app so you can actually hear the person you’re talking to. The standard built-in volume of the Treo is too low, even at maximum volume. VolumeCare solves this problem by boosting the volume at a noticeably higher level, for both the earpiece and speaker. Prior to installing VolumeCare, if I was having a drink at a noisy bar, I would have to exit outside to answer a phone call. Now with VolumeCare, I can keep on drinking and take the call at my seat!! That alone is worth the price of admission! This app actually makes the Treo phone useable!

LauncherX – Version 1.1.1 (Cost $19.95)
    Every Treo power user needs a decent launcher whether they realize it or not. The primary reason is to be able to show ALL applications, including apps residing on the SD card, and to be able to launch the app from the SD card on the main screen with a simple tap. No more having to click on the drop down menu to go to “Card” on the standard Palm launcher to launch an app residing on the SD card…that’s assuming you remember the app exists on the SD card too! The reason I like LauncherX versus some of the other similar apps is because it’s easy to use, does the job, has sufficient customization features, and has a smaller file size compared to others.

Documents-To-Go by Dataviz (Free for standard, or extra cost for premium)
    For some reason which I don’t remember, I didn’t like the standard Docs To Go that came with the CD in the box when I first bought the Treo. So I upgraded to DTG Version 7.002 which came in a boxed CD from a local Franklin Covey store that cost around $50 at the time. The 7.0 premium version has some extra features including a spell checker. I use DocsToGo on my Treo every so often several times a week. (I mostly use the full MicroSoft Office on a desktop computer instead). It’s one of those things that when you need to use it on the Treo, you really need it! I periodically send and receive Word and Excel file attachments by email, so having DTG for the Treo is very essential when you need it. It’s almost like having a mini laptop computer in my pocket! Unfortunately, every so often, my Docs To Go app gets corrupted, and nothing would work right. I would then have to reinstall DTG from the CD, and then everything would be okay again. I realize that a new 8.0 version is already available, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

PdaNet – Version 3.2 (Cost $34.00)
    This extremely useful app turns your Treo into a modem so you can use your laptop computer to access the internet. Very, very cool! You better have an unlimited all-you-can-eat data plan with your cell phone provider, otherwise you will get a nasty bill in the mail. PdaNet actually gives me internet speed a little bit faster than dialup. I prefer to use the USB cord method versus Bluetooth, because you’ll probably get a more reliable connection with a USB cord, and with less battery drain on the Treo. You can buy a short 8” Seido USB cord through the TreoCentral store to connect the Treo to your laptop for using PdaNet. Even better, the USB cord will actually (slowly) recharge your Treo by drawing power from the laptop computer. Even though I have the latest Sprint firmware version 1.12 upgrade that offers BT DUN, I don’t use PdaNet’s Bluetooth feature. The main reason is that I haven’t figure out how to BT DUN on my new laptop yet, and the other reasons I have already mentioned.

Directory Assistant – Version 3.20 (Free)
    This phone/address search directory program is unbelievably useful!! No need to dial 411 anymore to get a rude operator. Does any Treo user not know of Directory Assistant yet?? It will search for Residential and Business names, and provides you with phone numbers and address, plus a Mapquest map and driving directions too!! The Reverse Query feature is also very cool, and you can find out what name/address a particular (listed) phone number belongs to. You can even enter a house address to find out who lives in the house and the app will provide the person’s name and phone number! I’ve tried this, and it really works! Kind of scary actually! This would certainly be useful for all real estate agents…stalkers too!

mRing – Version 3.3 (Cost $19.99)
    I came across this app recently, and quickly found it to be very freakin’ useful! The feature I like best is that I can set it so that when I receive a phone call, it will first vibrate 2 times, and then start ringing in an ascending volume. By first vibrating 2 times, this means I have a chance to answer a phone call discreetly (or ignore it) if I want to before the ring tone starts. Because I always keep my Treo in my front pance pocket, the vibration alert mode is very helpful. If I’m in the car driving with the car stereo turned up, I do not even notice my Treo ringing. But with the vibration alert first, and then the ringing, I have been able to better notice phone calls coming in. Trust me, this feature has been very useful especially while sitting on the white throne doing my business! I don’t get startled with an immediate ring tone anymore! Also, the mRing app includes an MP3 ring tone feature so I can assign certain songs to different contacts, which is very nice. The one frustrating thing I can’t figure out about mRing is to make it differentiate the ring tones between a Known caller versus an Unknown caller. For some strange reason, the ring tone is the same for both Known and Unknown callers, even though I have these two set differently. Oh well, I’ve learned to live with this.

FileZ – Version 6.7 (Free)
    I’ve been using this extremely useful app for years and years when I was using regular Palm units. What’s very cool about this is that you can beam “locked” apps through FileZ, because the app will ignore the locked icons. FileZ can also be used to remove the lock icon for an application that is normally locked. Say for example your friend has a locked program on his Palm device which you want to have on your own Palm device. Because the app is locked, your friend cannot beam it to you. Here’s what you do: Beam your FileZ app to your friend’s Palm unit. Then your friend in turn opens FileZ through his Palm unit, and is then able to beam the locked app to you...voila! FileZ is also a file management program, and can dig through layers and layers of hidden files (both on the internal memory and the SD card) so you can copy, move, and delete files that you normally cannot. I also use FileZ to beam entire Calendar, Contacts, and Memo files from one Palm unit to another Palm unit.

KeyCaps600 (Free)
    This program should have been built into the Treo! It’s absolutely necessary for anyone that types on the built in keyboard. Makes typing so much easier and faster! No more pressing that stupid shift key to get a simple comma or numbers. Here the settings I personally use which I find useful:
    Enabled box highlighted (left box)
    Enable on Reset checked
    Disable in Phone App checked (important to check this, or else the phone app Quick Key press & hold function will not work!)
    Click – Lower: e
    Timeout – 150ms
    Hold – L->U->O:e->E->1
    Delay – 150ms

HandZipperLite (Included with SnapperMail Enterprise)
    This program is absolutely essential for opening email file attachments!! This app came free when I bought SnapperEmail Enterprise. Otherwise, I don’t know if this app normally has a cost or not. This app will unzip and open all forms of email attachments, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, .PRC Palm/Treo program files, and more. Absolutely essential app for anyone who handles attachments!

ClipPRO – Version 2.1.1 (Cost $12.95)
    I was going crazy with the small size of the Treo’s standard clipboard. I do a lot of copying and pasting of text, and it’s impossible to copy a large amount of text without getting an error message of exceeding the clipboard size. That is until I found ClipPro, and this solved my clipboard size problem!! It also offers additional enhanced features, which I don’t even use, but am glad to know it can do more than advertised.

ShortCut5 (Free)
    This tiny utility that resides within the Preference menu (at the bottom of page) is so extremely useful for anyone who has to constantly enter passwords and login names for email access. That includes pretty much everyone I know who uses a PDA for accessing emails!! I have set up a bunch of shortcuts so that with a press of a couple buttons, my full login name for different email addresses will get automatically entered so I don’t have to type out the whole d@mn thing manually. The shortcut is activated by first pressing the (.) period key, and then pressing whatever shortcut of letters you’ve previously set up. I recommend using at least 2 letters, instead of 1 letter for creating a shortcut, otherwise you run the risk of accidentally activating the shortcut command unintentionally.

mLights – version 3.7 (Cost $7.99)
    This is very useful to help conserve battery power by turning off the keyboard lights. You can also set it so that the keyboard lights only come on during certain hours, such as between 5:00pm to 10:00pm.

ChangeName – Version 3.2 (Free)
    This app is useful when you want to change your hotsynch user name on the fly, and/or the User ID number. If you wanted to, you could add someone else’s user name to your Palm unit to take advantage of making a registered program work under that person’s name. Of course, I don’t advocate this, but it does work. (Note: everyone should always pay for their own programs!)

LEDOff – Version 0.2.3 (Free)
    This app will turn off the blinking LED light for Signal, Alert, and Battery indicators. This app is useful and free, and helps to converse your battery life too.

Always On – Version 1.2 (Free)
    This app will leave your Treo on longer than the normal 3 minute maximum time limit. You can even set it so your Treo stays on always if you want to.

AfterSynch – Version 1.1 (Free)
    This application lets you choose which app comes on after doing a hotsynch, instead of getting that hotsynch done message screen. I find that sometimes this app works, and other times it doesn’t.

Dataviz Tech Tool – Version 1.1 (Free)
    I finally got around to using this a few months ago. It’s sooooo useful in freeing up around 4 MB of internal memory! This app automatically moves most of DocsToGo files to your SD memory card, instead of residing in the limited internal memory. The only downside is that it takes a few seconds longer to retrieve files (eg: Word, Excel, etc) once you’ve done this function. I don’t mind the delay, because the extra 4 MB of space is a huge plus!! Huuuuuge!!

Downloader – Version 1.1 (Free)
    This application is to overcome the 2 MB limit of downloading internet data (I think). I haven’t run across the need to use this yet, so I can’t really comment. I’m not sure I know how to use this either…doesn’t seem very intuitive. One day it will come in handy I’m sure.

Textras – Version 1.0 (Free)
    I used to use this application until I found ShortCut5 which is far better. Still, it may be useful for some people.

Graffiti Anywhere – Version 1.5.7 (Free)
    Believe it or not, every so often a longtime Graffiti/Palm user will gripe to me that the Treo has a keyboard, but no Graffiti usage. Well, fear not! Graffiti Anywhere works with the Treo, and now you can do Graffiti to your heart’s content. I have found a good method for Activation of Graffiti Anywhere is to select the “Side Button”.

TealBackup – Version 1.11 (Cost $19.95)
    This app has saved my **** on a few occasions after doing a hard reset, and actually works very well in restoring everything back to its previous state. It actually restores all my apps, preferences, and passwords. Only small downside is that sometimes for unknown reasons, it will not automatically backup everyday even though I have this setting in place. When this happens, I simply do a manual backup, and reset the auto backup function.

Reset Phone – Version unknown (Free)
    For some strange reason, when installing an application such as Beyond Contacts, this will hijack my Phone application. Instead of getting my Phone app, I will get Beyond Contacts instead. The “Reset Phone” app will fix this problem, and give you back the normal phone app when pressing the green phone button. Trust me, you will need this esoteric little app if or when the time comes!

NotifyMe – Version 1.8 (Free)
    This app is for the purpose of warning you if the SD card comes out unexpectedly. There are some funny alert sounds to warn you such as “Barf” and “Belch” which can be used as a joke the next time you’re at a bar scene! I prefer the “Horn” alert myself.

Snap – Version 0.2.5 (Free)
    This little app takes a snapshot of your Treo screen and saves the image as a picture file within Docs To Go. You can then email the screenshot image as an attachment. This app is like having a “Print Screen” Windows command, but without the printing!

AreaCoder – Version 1.1.4 (Free)
    This program will automatically change one area code to a different area code for all contacts, in the event a county changes an area code for a particular area.

HolidayUSA - Version 1.1 (Free)
    Very useful app that will automatically add holidays to your calendar app for the whole year. Just don't perform this function twice, or else duplicate holidays will shop up in your calendar.

AreaCodes – Version 2.0.9 (Free)
    This program will look up what city a particular area code belongs to. You can also enter a state to find out what various area codes are listed for particular cities.

MULTI-MEDIA APPS:

Pocket Tunes Deluxe – Version 3xx (Cost $34.95)
    Does anyone not use pTunes?? It’s soooo much better than the supplied RealPlayer. Pocket Tunes has some very useful features that RealPlayer does not…such as a Graphic Equalizer to bring up the bass and treble! Even something as simple as keeping all my songs in alphabetical order, pTunes can handle but not RealPlayer. There are many other customization features pTunes has that RealPlayer doesn’t. I personally don’t use the streaming radio feature of pTunes, but I do know this is possible. If you play a lot of music, pTunes is worth the cost.

Acid Image Pro (AI Pro) – Version 3.020 (Cost $49.95)
    This picture browser program is useful to me for 2 main reasons, to easily reduce a large digital picture file, and to read a PDF file that has been converted into a TIFF image file. For reducing a picture file, I can check an image to easily resize down to something much smaller, such as an original 2 MB picture file down to only 75 KB. After the image is reduced, I can then use the smaller file size picture to email to someone as an attachment. The nice thing is that the original large picture remains intact, and a smaller file size gets created alongside the original. Why do I need to do this? Because I routinely take pictures with my pocket size 5 mega-pixel Canon SD 450 digital camera, which is equipped with a large 2GB SD memory card. I then swap out the SD card from the camera, and place it into my Treo. I will then copy and paste the original large image (typically around 2 MB size) to the Treo, and then use AI Pro program to reduce the file size for emailing to friends. After I’m done, I will then move both the original large picture and the reduced picture over to the SD memory card. My Treo is also equipped with a duplicate 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card, which is the same card I use for my Canon digital camera. My Treo and Canon camera each has a 2GB SD card. The picture quality of my pocket Canon SD 450 is so much better than from the crappy camera built into the Treo, especially because the Canon camera also has a flash too! What’s also cool is that my new Sony TX670 compact notebook laptop computer is also equipped with an SD memory card slot so I can easily download pictures directly from the camera, or also files from my Treo (eg: Word, Excel, Wav recordings, etc). My Sony laptop is equipped with Photoshop CS/8 so I can make some nice retouching or enhancements to the image. After I’m done retouching the image, I can either send the picture by email directly through the Treo, or use the Treo as a modem (through PdaNet) to send the picture through the laptop. The other main reason I use Acid Image Pro is because this program is needed for viewing a PDF file that’s been converted into a TIFF file, which can then be read by the Treo. I subscribed to Jeremiah Cook’s service for doing the PDF file conversion into a TIFF format which can then be viewed through AI Pro. There is a $25/year subscription fee for doing this PDF to TIFF conversion.

TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player) – Version 0.66 (Free)
    This is a fantastic player for watching movies burned for the Treo! Even better, it can be used to play MP3 music too!! I can’t believe this app is free because it’s so useful! TCPMP has additional features such as fast forward and rewind, volume, brightness, contrast, and saturation controls. TCPMP is a pretty large program, but can be installed directly to the SD card to save memory. I use TCPMP to play movies burned to my Treo. The actual burning process is done by a desktop program I use called Pocket DVD Studio that I purchased from Handango.com.

Pocket DVD Studio (for the desktop) – Version 3.5 (Cost $32.00)
    I use this program to copy/burn a DVD movie into a small file size that can be played back using TCPMP. I like Pocket DVD Studio because it’s easy to use, and has plenty of customization features, such as crop choice, brightness levels, visual/audio quality selection, and more. If you get this program, make sure to download an extra application called “XVID Mpeg4 Codec” which can be downloaded directly from the manufacturer’s website. What’s more cool is that you can then playback the burned movie file directly onto your laptop or desktop computer, in addition to your Treo! You just need to download the “XVID” codec program to your laptop/desktop computer so that the movie will play back correctly. I have the original StarWars movie on my Treo which I watch over and over again, especially the last big battle scene. Recently I burned the classic Grease movie with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John…it’s fun to relive those old tunes! Being a guy, I also have an assortment of p@rn installed too!

mVoice – Version 4.2 (Cost $24.99)
    This is a real digital recorder!! Yes, this program costs money, but it’s so much better than the free Voice Memo (VoicePad). mVoice can record directly to the SD card, at different quality levels, and can also “append” to add more to an existing recorded file. Even better, mVoice will keep recording even if you exit out of the program to something else, or turn off the screen. The latest 4.2 version will even record phone call conversations too!! That can be scary!

Voice Memo/VoicePad – Version 1.2.1 (Free)
    This is a free digital recorder, which does not have the cool features of mVoice…but then again, it’s free! The huge drawback of this free recorder is that it will stop recording if you exit out of the program, or turn off the Treo. That really sucks!

Paint 6 (by Mobi-Systems) – Version 6.40 (Approx Cost $15)
    I bought this one day at a local CompUsa store. I don’t remember the exact cost, but it was something around $15. This program can do basic picture enhancements, such as cropping, color changes, rotating, resizing, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, grayscale adjustments. I only use this program when I’m in a pinch, as I prefer to use the real Photoshop app on the desktop computer.

FINANCIAL APPS:

SplashMoney – Version 4.08 (Cost $29.95)
    I use this program religiously on a daily basis. I find SplashMoney easy to use, and does the job as advertised. Every time I withdraw money from the ATM or write checks, I would enter the transaction in SplashMoney. I always know what my true balance is at all times, and have never bounced my checking account in years. The primary reason I like SplashMoney is that it comes with the desktop companion program so that my desktop computer has the same duplicate information. This is important to me to have information backed up to my desktop, for fear I lose my handheld information at any time. There is now a new version 4.09 that can download transactions directly from your bank, but I haven’t tried the new update yet.

StockBroker Std – Version 1.22 (Cost $19.95)
    I like this program because it really works well and is easy to use. It keeps track of my basket of stocks that I’m watching, and the quotes are actually very accurate within a few cents usually. Even more cool, for some Nasdaq stocks, the app will even give pre-market indication prices before the opening bell too! This app also provides stock charts too, with volume information. The only thing I don’t like about this standard version is that it will not keep my stocks in alphabetical order…can you believe that? I would need to upgrade to the deluxe version to get alphabetical ordering. Currently, there is now an updated version 1.24, but I haven’t tried this yet.

DATABASE & CALENDAR APPS:

DateBook5 – Version 5.4a (Cost $25.95)
    The built in calendar program for the Treo is pathetic…that’s why I needed something better. I’ve been using DateBook for the last several years for various Palm handhelds since version 3.0. I ended up purchasing version 5.4a for the Treo because the previous version was not compatible. I really like all the many customization features of Datebook. The one single thing I like most about Datebook is the “Float” feature, whereby an item will automatically get carried forward every day as a reminder until it’s completed and checked off. The Float feature helps me to remember to do a certain thing, otherwise I may forget to do an item from previous days ago. I know that Datebook now has version 6.0 available, but I’m in no rush yet to upgrade.

Beyond Contacts – Version 3.008 (Cost $29.99)
    This program has its pros and cons. Supposedly, it’s the one program that most resembles MicroSoft Outlook. The main reason I use this app is because of the fact that Beyond Contacts is able to maintain a separate Contact database that is completely separated from the Treo’s own internal Contact database. This can be either good or bad, depending on your needs. For myself, I like to keep my professional contacts/addresses separated from my friends and family. I also like the ability of using VersaMail to download a vCard contact attachment that will directly download into the Beyond Contacts program…very cool!! Or if want, I can also choose to have a vCard download to the Treo’s internal Contacts database instead of Beyond Contacts, whichever I want. I also like the fact I can tap on a contact within Beyond Contacts, which will immediately call the person. The built in email program that comes with Beyond Contacts is simply lame…downright worthless in my view. Fortunately, you can choose to select another email application, which is what I do. For Beyond Contacts, I have selected VersaMail as my email app choice, because VersaMail has the ability to download vCard contact attachments directly into Beyond Contacts as described previously. Another drawback of Beyond Contacts is that the Calendar function is a bit simple and crude, and is nothing like DateBook.

CALCULATOR APPS:

KK-12C Financial Calculator - Version 1.9.3 (Cost $25)
    This calculator is an exact replica of the famous long-standing Hewlett Packard 12c calculator, which many office supply stores sell for around $80. This app costs $25 to register, and works exactly in the same way as the HP 12c. Actually, this app works BETTER than the original calculator because the processing speed of the Treo is faster than that of the original calculator. The KK-12c calculator will actually give you the answer faster than the original HP 12c ! I like this calculator because it can calculate complicated equations using the R.P.N. method, instead of the usual algebraic function.

C4 Personal Calculator – Version 1.15 (Free)
    This is a simple calculator that has the cool feature of displaying all the key punch entries in a continuous string at the top of the screen. This feature is very helpful because you can see exactly what keys are entered, and correct any mistakes easily.

BS Calc Business Scientific Calculator – Version 1.3x (Free)
    A free (algebraic function) financial calculator that calculates time value of money, plus a lot more. This is a Y.A.F.C. (Yet Another Free Calculator)

SC-103PU scientific calculator – Version 1.02 (Free)
    YAFC (Yet Another Free Calculator)

SciCalc scientific calculator – Version 2.15 (Free)

Parens Lite scientific calculator – Version 1.0 (Free)

LoanCalc loan calculator – Version 1.1b (Free)
    Free loan calculator for calculating simple monthly home loan payments

LoanWiz Pro loan calculator – Version 4.2 (Cost $24.99)
    This paid software can handle more variables in calculating monthly home loan payments, including 1st and 2nd mortgages

CVT-Convert – Version 2.0a (Free)
    I like how this shows 4 different variables at the same time (eg: Feet / Inches / Km / Microns)

Converter – Version 2.2 (Free)
    This has even more items for conversion, but only shows 2 different variables at the same time

DateDiff time difference calculator – Version 3.1 (Free)
    Gives you the time difference in Years, Months, Days

DateWheel time difference calculator – Version 1.03 (Free)
    Gives you the time difference in Weeks, Days, and Business Days

DayCalc time difference calculator – Version 1.5.2 (Free)
    Gives you both the date difference and time difference (and combined difference too)

CLOCK & ALARM APPS:

WorldMate by MobiMate – Version 10.0 (Cost $34.95)
    This is a useful app for the jet-setting world traveler type. This app has lots of useful functions such as weather news, foreign currency conversion, international times, and more.

TreoAlarm – version 0.99b (Shareware?)
    This is a useful app for giving detailed daily and weekly weather news for your local area, and an alarm is included too. I can’t figure out whether this app is free or costs money.

Khronos stopwatch timer – Version 1.0 (Free)
    This cool stopwatch keeps lap times for up to 10 different times! This stopwatch will keep running even if you exit out of the program.

Stopwatch – Version 2.0 (Free)
    Useful and simple stop watch that both counts up and counts down too. Offers split time, and runs at 1/100th second precision…very nice. The large number display is a nice feature too. This stopwatch will keep running even if you exit out of the program.

Chime – Version 1.2 (Free)
    A free talking clock for the blind. I like the female voice better than the male.

ChessClock (Free)
    A free timer for chess players. I don’t have any other info about this.

GAME APPS:

Billiards – Version 4.2 (Cost $22.95)
    I really like this billiards game, which you can play against the Palm computer, or player to player, and can even play against another person’s Treo by infra-red.

BowlingDeluxe – Version 1.00 (Cost $14.95)
    This bowling game is soooooo addicting. I like to play in “Stroke” mode because it’s more realistic and adds extra challenge. In “Simulator” mode, you will quickly start bowling perfect 300 scores after a short time, so it’s too easy. You can play either single player, two players, or player versus Palm. There is now a version 1.21, but I don’t see any difference with this.

Hold’emHigh (No Limit Texas Hold ‘Em Poker by DataViz) – Version 1.002 (Cost $19.99)
    Lots of fun!! If you want to waste at least 15 minutes of mindless fun, this is the game to play. I actually learned how to play Poker with this program!

Moon Intruders – Version unknown by Jude Nelson (Free)
    This game is similar to the classic Space Invaders arcade game

Oracle – Version 3.1 (Free)
    Remember the Magic 8 Ball from your childhood? I always start my day with this.

PacDude100 – BetaVersion 2 (Free)
    This game is similar to the class PacMan arcade game

Pocket Pinball – Version 1.4 (Free)
    A simple mind-less pinball game. Good for young kids...adults get bored fast

Zap!2016 – Version 1.71 (Free)
    A space ship shoot ‘em up game with good graphics. I think this free game came with the supplied CD

OpenChess – Version 2.0 by Olaf Richter (Free)
    A chess game with good graphics and customization levels

FUN STUFF:

PalmaSutra – Version 2.1 (Free)
    Why buy the book when you can have this program for free? Lots of good positions shown in animated color, plus good descriptions of each too! Anyone try the “Wheelbarrow” yet?? I’m waiting for the day a video clip version of this program comes out!

Minibar – Version 2.2 (Free)
    This app has recipe menus of various alcoholic drinks listed in alphabetic order. You never know when a program like this comes in handy. I was once in a cocktail mixing event, and a few people had an argument over what the third ingredient was for a particular cocktail drink. I successfully looked up the unknown ingredient, and became the hero of the moment!

PocketBartender – Version 1.1 (Free)
    Another application for alcoholic drink recipes. You can also create and add new recipes of your own if you want to with this app.

Thumb Scan – Version unknown (Free)
    Trick your friends into thinking you have a thumb scan security system for your Treo!

I hope you've found this list useful, along with my comments for each.

Cheers, Casey.
    Last edited by Casey Cheung; 03/27/2006 at 09:20 AM.
    Just a few quick comments:

DayCalc often reset my 650 so I dumped it.
    NotifyMe's description sounds just like PalmPuke
    TreoAlarm is up to like 1.16

There's a "best utilities" thread with descriptions and links which yu may want to add some of these to....was going to make otehr categorioes but haven't ahd time yet

You might also wanna peruse this.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=78320
    This is an interesting example of why the P in PDA stands for "Personal." I have little interest in the vast majority of the apps you list. In a few cases I use a similar one, in others I simply have no need or use for them at all.

I'm not criticizing your list at all, btw. And there are a few items in there I'm going to take a closer look at as a result of your comments, so I do appreciate your posting it. And it's a very good example of what makes the Palm platform, and the Treo in particular, so valueable: it can be customized to be almost anything you want it to be.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Just a few quick comments:

DayCalc often reset my 650 so I dumped it.
    NotifyMe's description sounds just like PalmPuke
    TreoAlarm is up to like 1.16

There's a "best utilities" thread with descriptions and links which yu may want to add some of these to....was going to make otehr categorioes but haven't ahd time yet

You might also wanna peruse this.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=78320
    Wow Jack,

That's quite a long list you have there! Didn't know that list existed until you pointed it out. I will have to check out some of them myself.

Cheers, Casey.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    This is an interesting example of why the P in PDA stands for "Personal." I have little interest in the vast majority of the apps you list. In a few cases I use a similar one, in others I simply have no need or use for them at all.

I'm not criticizing your list at all, btw. And there are a few items in there I'm going to take a closer look at as a result of your comments, so I do appreciate your posting it. And it's a very good example of what makes the Palm platform, and the Treo in particular, so valueable: it can be customized to be almost anything you want it to be.
    Yes, the ability to customize a Treo is fantastic. A Treo is not longer simply a Treo, but YOUR own Treo that's been customized to the hilt! That's why I would never switch to a Windows PDA, because I don't think it's possible to customize a Windows device anywhere near what can be done on a Palm based unit.

Cheers, Casey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    That's quite a long list you have there! Didn't know that list existed until you pointed it out. I will have to check out some of them myself.
    here's the other one:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106786

I had hoped to do addtional ones:

The Last Best Multimedia Apps
    The Last Best Mapping Apps
    The Last Best Calendar Apps
    The Last Best Contacts Apps
    The Last Best Games Apps
    The Last Best Hobbies Apps
    The Last Best Health / Fitness Apps
    The Last Best Travel Apps
    etc,

and keep them updated with latest version numbers and contact info

But haven't gotten around to it ....hmmm 60 minutes till Sopranos, maybe i can sneak one in
    Now, if someone came up with a decent quality bridge game for the Treo....then I'd never get any work done, ever again!
    By the way, I'm *pretty sure* that Snapper can receive and send vCal stuff... A friend of mine has his attached to his emails, and at the bottom of each of his emails is a little box that if I click it, it'll ask me if I want to add him into my address book. Pretty sure I can send a vCal just the same.

So you might be able to avoid using VersaMail at all.

BTW, never lost mail with Snapper, but I use imap4 and don't do SD storage. I only keep a few days worth of email on the Treo beside the inbox, and I move stuff out of the inbox once I'm done with it (responded, acted on, read, etc) so the mail on the Treo isn't very large. The latest version of Snapper lets you designate ANY folder as "upload only" so I have the mailboxes that I generally just move stuff into set to that, so I don't download mail from them but I can move inbox items to them, such as spam, ebay, etc.. Next time I sync mail they disapear off the Treo into the server folder that I moved them to.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    In a boating forum I read under Yahoo groups, they have the ability to create polls and create databases. What would be great here would be to have a database which lists categories like Jack has done in the thread he references above, then add programs into those categories AND have members rate them.

This would give a clear indication of who (at least readers on this forum) was using or trying what, and how they rated the SW.

That way, if someone was looking for backup SW, rather than starting the 23d thread asking the same questions, one would go to this poll, see a listing of all the SW, and see how users felt about each product.

Mr. Moderator, anyway this could be set up?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    By the way, I'm *pretty sure* that Snapper can receive and send vCal stuff... A friend of mine has his attached to his emails, and at the bottom of each of his emails is a little box that if I click it, it'll ask me if I want to add him into my address book. Pretty sure I can send a vCal just the same.

So you might be able to avoid using VersaMail at all.

BTW, never lost mail with Snapper, but I use imap4 and don't do SD storage. I only keep a few days worth of email on the Treo beside the inbox, and I move stuff out of the inbox once I'm done with it (responded, acted on, read, etc) so the mail on the Treo isn't very large. The latest version of Snapper lets you designate ANY folder as "upload only" so I have the mailboxes that I generally just move stuff into set to that, so I don't download mail from them but I can move inbox items to them, such as spam, ebay, etc.. Next time I sync mail they disapear off the Treo into the server folder that I moved them to.
    My SnapperMail also has the feature of handling vCard attachments...or so it says. In reality, this never works right for me. Don't know why, it just doesn't. VersaMail actually does work right for vCards, at least for me.

Consider yourself lucky your SnapperMail doesn't delete your mail. There are threads on this board about others having the same problem. But since you don't keep messages in SnapperMail for too long, maybe this is the reason you haven't encountered the deletion problem. Or maybe the newest version of Snapper might have solved this problem. What is the new version anyway? I gave up on doing updates awhile back.

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    What is the new version anyway? I gave up on doing updates awhile back.

Casey
    I am running v2.3.3. Runs like a charm. I don't keep messages localy either. That could be the reason I have never had any problems.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Fantastic thread. Must've taken you a long time to write. I vote that this thread be made a sticky, or maybe merged with other such threads and THEN be made a sticky.

Personally, I never have problems with Chatter handling attachments. It's handled every type of attachment I thrown at it with ease. And the great thing about it is that you can start DL'ing large attachments(such as MP3's), and then go and watch TV(due to Chatter working in the background). Can't do that with Snapper. I used Snapper for a while, and I really like it. I especially like the 'finger navigation' mode, and wish Marc would rip it off for Chatter sooner rather than later(hinthintnudgenudge). Snapper is a fantastic email app. It just isn't as good as Chatter. One of the Snapper representatives did recently tell me, however, that Snapper's next improvement would be the inclusion of push email. Maybe I'll go back when that happens. Versafail sucks. Why is it that two apps that were INCLUDED with my Treo(Versafail, FakePlayer) crash it the most?

I never could get PDAnet to work. VolumeCare is great. I don't use Filez because a file manager is included in Zlauncher(far and away the best launcher in my opinion). KeyCaps is great. Makes typing more intuitive. I can't believe you hanen't tried Butler. It's one app that can take the place of several utility apps you listed...

The combo of Pocket DVD Studio and TCPMP is fantastic. I have porn on my Treo too, but mainly as a novelty to show off to other peeps. I mainly use said combo to watch the greatest show ever made: Seinfeld.

I'm satisfied with the calculator that came with the Treo(I rarely use it).

Again, Butler has a pretty extensive alarm function(although there's no female voice, which I'm now disappointed by)

My absolute favorite games are Farkle(an addictive cross between Yahtzee and Craps), and Bejeweled. I also have an NES emulator on my Treo, which is great. And of course, Tetris - arguably the greatest game ever.

I have tried the 'wheelbarrel' and it really isn't comfortable for either partner...

It's fun for like 30 seconds, then you go back to something a little more basic such as doggie style(which is illegal in the military).
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I am running v2.3.3. Runs like a charm. I don't keep messages localy either. That could be the reason I have never had any problems.
    I have SnapperMail version 2.3.2.01. Is there any significant improvement to the latest version?

Casey
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Fantastic thread. Must've taken you a long time to write. I vote that this thread be made a sticky, or maybe merged with other such threads and THEN be made a sticky.

I have tried the 'wheelbarrel' and it really isn't comfortable for either partner...
    It's fun for like 30 seconds, then you go back to something a little more basic such as doggie style(which is illegal in the military).
    Yes, it took awhile to write. I realize that other people post threads all the time about their favorite apps, but I wanted to also add editorial comments from my own experience that might be helpful to newbies.

I agree with your 30 seconds comment
    Being a newbie to a treo I love some of the software items you use. I am curious about Graffiti Anywhere. I got it downloaded but maybe I don't understand the use or I haven't gotten the settings correct. I enabled it and went to Memo thinking I could use graffiti to enter information. It just beeped at me!

Any ideas?

In addition, I couldn't find AfterSynch, could you advise me?

Thanks Alicia
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by camarodreamer
    Being a newbie to a treo I love some of the software items you use. I am curious about Graffiti Anywhere. I got it downloaded but maybe I don't understand the use or I haven't gotten the settings correct. I enabled it and went to Memo thinking I could use graffiti to enter information. It just beeped at me!

Any ideas?

In addition, I couldn't find AfterSynch, could you advise me?

Thanks Alicia
    Hi Alicia,

Glad you like some of the apps I've listed.

Here's what works for me for Graffiti Anywhere:

In the Activation tab, choose:
    Method - Press & Hold
    Button Side Button

In the Graphics tab, choose:
    Graffiti echo (check box)
    Show starting dot (check box)

Of course, also have the "Enable" box highlighted too.

Using the above settings, you MUST keep the (left) side button pressed in while you are entering graffiti. The side button is the small button just underneath the rocker volume lever. This is the only way I can figure out to make Graffiti Anywhere work, unless someone else can figure out another way.

Here's a downlink link for AfterSynch:
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-696.html?AfterSync

Cheers! Casey
    I had no idea you needed to hold down the button. I missed that part. Now I have Mvoice (I see you have it too corresponding to the side button!) Where do you have your Mvoice corresponding to?

Thank you so much!
    Alicia
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camarodreamer
    I had no idea you needed to hold down the button. I missed that part. Now I have Mvoice (I see you have it too corresponding to the side button!) Where do you have your Mvoice corresponding to?

Thank you so much!
    Alicia
    That is only one of three ways to activate GA. These are chosen from the main GA screen, by tapping on "Activation"

I personally find it easiest to choose "Tap Screen Corner", where having designated one of the the 4 possible corners in "Activation", you just tap that corner with the stylus, and you will know that you have achieved a sucessful switch between On and Off by the screen flashing black very quickly.

My poor already overused fingers would never let me even contemplate holding down a key!
  19.    #19  
    For mVoice, I do not have it set for any buttons. My side button is usually set for PocketTunes, because I use that all the time to listen to educational audio material.

What's cool about mVoice is the ability to "send" a recorded clip by email as an attachment. Imagine recording a phone conversation and then having the ability to quickly email that recorded clip to someone by email as a .wav audio file. mVoice can also beam a recorded file too! It's all a scary thought huh?! I've done this to test these features, and it works!
    You all are my heros, but you know me I still have another question. I have Caps crossing enabled. I can enter #'s on the right and letters on the left but I thought you actually made an up signal prior to a letter to capitalize. It doesn't seem to be working. I know I must be doing something wrong!

Alicia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast