1.    #1  
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows how much data I would be using if I left Chatter on constantly (well, between 8am and midnight, every day) polling an IMAP e-mail account?

Does it use a lot of data while polling or is it only a few bytes when there's nothing to download?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I recently got a bill which said I used 46mb of data usage during a 10 day period and I'm sure I didn't download 46megs of stuff! The only thing I did do was keep an eye on e-mails and a checking weather, etc.

Thanks
    M
    No, it doesn't use a "lot" of data (far less than POP, of example), but it really depends on how many emails you're sync'ing. A mailbox with, say, 250 messages, would probably take around 3-5k to sync (a very rough estimate; with POP3, maybe 5-10x that much).

How often do you sync?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Hi Marc

Thanks for the response. I don't 'sync' regularly, it's IMAP so it's constantly checking - is that wrong?

Thanks
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by themitch
    Hi Marc

Thanks for the response. I don't 'sync' regularly, it's IMAP so it's constantly checking - is that wrong?

Thanks
    M
    Hi,

I have EDGE & Cingular on my Treo650. Using Chatter I have mailboxes that I have setup with IMAP (constantly "in tune" with the server). I have an unlimted plan so I'm not worried about my useage (and with the unlimited plans Cingular doesn't even tell you what you have used).

Anyway, I was in Canada last month for about 5 days. And since that was data roaming, Cingular does tell me how much I used. My email was light (5 or 6 emails a day average, but constant connection). In those 5 days I used 917 KB of data, so about 183 per day.

Hope that helps. I think you can proabably extrapolate there, with light useage probably 5-10 MB a month for just Chatter would be a safe guess.

Hope that helps
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    themitch - I guess I'm not sure what you mean by not sync'ing regularly... But Chatter never checks "constantly" unless the setup isn't configured right, or there's a server problem.

Marc