1.    #1  
    I'm trying to figure out a way to get this like new Verzion 650 my kid found to run off my sprint acct only thing I can think of is to get a new Sprint motherboard and swap it out

performancepda.com sells them cheap $50

Just looking for any advice does this sound like a logical plan will it work ?

Will I have any issues getting Sprint to activate it ?

Is it a hard job to replace the board do i need any specal tools or skills ?

just anything i need to know before i go for it ?
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    you can reflash you phone with sprint firmware, look for shadowmite here or on shadowmite.com for instructions.

P.S. Have you tried to find a real owner of the phone ? Perhaps there is a "home" entry in his phone book, or call some other enries and ask people who answer if they recognise the number..... Technically the guy who lost the phone could've reported it as stolen, and it's ESN is now in "stolen" database, so atempt to activate it can lead to a trouble , theoretically including a legal one....
    If it was lost or stolen -- the ESN has probably been locked off the Verizon network -- and may be blocked on the Sprint -- or just listed as an unknown. I do not think the motherboard swap would correct the situation -- but this is all way beyond me.

I would try to find the original owner thru Verizon and return it for that warm fuzzy felling you will get.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Kram1,

You have a good motherboard (I assume) buying another one with get you nothing. You need a new radio.

Only way to get a Sprint radio is to buy a parts phone, but most Sprint parts phones on ebay are blacklisted.

You phone is good for parts...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    All you need to do is find a sprint approved ESN that was tied to a phone that was no longer working- broken, parts phone, etc. I see no reason why you could not change the ESN on the Verizon phone to mirror the bad sprint phone using the homebrew serial cable that was created to "Verizonize" the sprint 650 to work on the VZ network. Search "Verizonize"

I actually have everything needed to pull this off and would be mroe than willing to ship the cable/software out to you.

You would have to change a few fields in addition to the ESN but if you had the other treo extacting the info would not be that hard. You would have to reflash too but that is easy.

Just a different thought.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    How do you change ESN in treo, I thought it's supposed to be in some hardcoded non-erasable memory.
    You can change it if you have the serial cable which is a home made cable with USB interface that acts as a serial cable. You can go to shadowmite.com and read about "verizonizing".

With the cable and proper software- (bitpim and Chameleon software from Kyocera-I beleive) it is fairly easy to change anything in there. Changing it to something that Sprint will accept is the real trick. Has to be a phone that was never reported lost or stolen.

Ideally this guy would already be using a sprint treo that was beat to hell. Then he could just import the sprint profile into the VZ unit and he would be good to go.

An out of warranty 650 that had a speaker or keyboard problem might be another good canidate.
    Last edited by Les Anderson; 03/24/2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  9.    #9  
    You think i can just change the esn info with the homemade cable and no need to change the modem that would be cool just where to get a good esn and it does have to be a esn from a 650 rite?
    I can't just use one from any old sprint phone ?

Also about the home made cable its not same as the usb data cable you can buy on ebay ?

I was told on sadowmite I need to replace the modem to one with a good sprint esn

any ideas where i can grab one if it winds up thats what i have to do

also here the link to what the dude on sadowmite says what he feels needs to be done

Link

Quote Originally Posted by robber
    All you need to do is find a sprint approved ESN that was tied to a phone that was no longer working- broken, parts phone, etc. I see no reason why you could not change the ESN on the Verizon phone to mirror the bad sprint phone using the homebrew serial cable that was created to "Verizonize" the sprint 650 to work on the VZ network. Search "Verizonize"

I actually have everything needed to pull this off and would be mroe than willing to ship the cable/software out to you.

You would have to change a few fields in addition to the ESN but if you had the other treo extacting the info would not be that hard. You would have to reflash too but that is easy.

Just a different thought.
    [ [
    Last edited by Kram1; 03/25/2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram1
    You think i can just change the esn info with the homemade cable and no need to change the modem that would be cool just where to get a good esn and it does have to be a esn from a 650 rite?
    I can't just use one from any old sprint phone ?

Also about the home made cable its not same as the usb data cable you can buy on ebay ?

I was told on sadowmite I need to replace the modem to one with a good sprint esn

any ideas where i can grab one if it winds up thats what i have to do

also here the link to what the dude on sadowmite says what he feels needs to be done

Link

[ [
    It would have to be an ESN from a sprint 650 that has not been reported lost or stolen. Replacing the modem makes no sense to me if you have the ability to change the ESN. There is no way that sprint and verizon use different radios. Think about that logistically for palm. Also I have had my 650 on both VZ and Sprint networks.

Keep in mind that sprint could activate your VZ branded phone, no problem. It would be just as easy as normal. They choose not to, unless the ESN is in their database. That is the trick.

Finally, no the cable that you is not available commercially. The only way to get one is to make it as far as I know. Any standard cable will not work. When you plug the cable in the pc immediately recongizes it as a serial device. Even if the treo is not connected at the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    It would have to be an ESN from a sprint 650 that has not been reported lost or stolen. Replacing the modem makes no sense to me if you have the ability to change the ESN. There is no way that sprint and verizon use different radios. Think about that logistically for palm. Also I have had my 650 on both VZ and Sprint networks.

Keep in mind that sprint could activate your VZ branded phone, no problem. It would be just as easy as normal. They choose not to, unless the ESN is in their database. That is the trick.

Finally, no the cable that you is not available commercially. The only way to get one is to make it as far as I know. Any standard cable will not work. When you plug the cable in the pc immediately recongizes it as a serial device. Even if the treo is not connected at the other end.
    Changing the ESN illegal... Can it be changed? Probably... but if you are asking "how to", you probably can't do it... and good luck finding someone to help you (without paying $$$$) to do something that is illegal.

I can't do it BTW...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Changing the ESN illegal... Can it be changed? Probably... but if you are asking "how to", you probably can't do it... and good luck finding someone to help you (without paying $$$$) to do something that is illegal.

I can't do it BTW...

It can be changed. I am not asking how to- I am trying to tell how. If the original poster wants my help I am more than willing to offer it. Changing ESNs is something that has been done and talked aboutquite a bit on this board. You are the first one to sound the proverbial alarm. It is not like we are talking about cloning in attempt to get free service.

Move on