Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This thread is not intended to be Yet Another Thread about customizing. This is intended for those who already know what and how they want and the tricks and tips used or any cool things they have figured out.

I would like to get some Carrier specific things here to for Cingular, Sprint etc. As I am an unlocked GSM user I don't know those setups as well.

If you are looking to start please read through these threads. They may be long but you will get the info you need to start.

Step by Step
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

RomTool
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543

Custom Roming the only way.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108580

RomUpdaterApp
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107666

** This is a use at your own risk activity **
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/28/2006 at 09:36 AM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

2.    #2  
    This is a compilation of what I have done, most of this is not news but a beginning.

I am going to assume you are using the RomTool and have saved your ROM to a folder.

To remove lang but english do a search on you folder for _dede and delete all files, repeat for _itit etc.

Replace SmartTextEngine_Device.prc with version from 1.13 to gain emocicons in SMS. ** Palm has released a fix to this. (see files post)**

Replace FATFS.prc with FAT32.prc for increased speed for FAT16 and ability to read >2GB cards.

Files to remove VersaMail (Assuming lang. strip)
    AirSAM_enUS.oprc
    AirSAMprv.bprc
    AirSAMprv_enUS.oprc
    BGService.bprc
    BGService_enUS.oprc
    MMConduit.bprc
    MMConduit_enUS.oprc
    MMConfigFPI.bprc
    MMConfigFPI_enUS.oprc
    MMHtmlPlugin.bprc
    MMHtmlPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MMMailTo.bprc
    MMMailTo_enUS.oprc
    MMNotify.bprc
    MMNotify_enUS.oprc
    MMPhotos.bprc
    MMPhotos_enUS.oprc
    MMPluginMGR.bprc
    MMPluginMGR_enUS.oprc
    MMPRCPlugin.bprc
    MMPRCPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MMSDCard.bprc
    MMSDCard_enUS.oprc
    MMSmartAdd.bprc
    MMSmartAdd_enUS.oprc
    MMTextPlugin.bprc
    MMTextPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MMUnzipPlugin.bprc
    MMUnzipPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MMVCal.bprc
    MMVCal_enUS.oprc
    MMVCardPlugin.bprc
    MMVCardPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MMWave.bprc
    MMWave_enUS.oprc
    MMWizard.bprc
    MMWizard_enUS.oprc
    MMWordPlugin.bprc
    MMWordPlugin_enUS.oprc
    MultiMail.bprc
    MultiMail_enUS.oprc
    SAMgr.bprc
    SAMgr_enUS.oprc
    __MMServers_CROW.cpdb
    AirSAM.bprc

Remove RealPlayer (Assuming Lang. strip)
    RealRMFF.prc
    RealDRM.prc
    RealLib.prc
    RealMP3Codec.prc
    RealMP3FF.prc
    RealPlay.bprc
    RealPlay_enUS.oprc
    RealRMCodec.prc

Remove Tips (Assuming Lang. strip)
    PhoneRsc_Tips.prc
    PhoneRsc_Tips_CROW.cprc
    PhoneRsc_Tips_CROW_enUS.lprc
    Texter_Tips.prc
    Texter_Tips_CROW.cprc
    Texter_Tips_CROW_enUS.lprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.prc*
    TutorialRsc_Tips_CROW.cprc*
    TutorialRsc_Tips_CROW_enUS.lprc*
    Web_Tips.bprc
    Web_Tips_enUS.oprc
    Web_Tips_ptBR.oprc
    Media_Tips.bprc
    Media_Tips_enUS.oprc
    *may have been stripped already

Remove Tutorial (Assuming lang strip)
    TutorialApp_Device_CROW_enUS.lprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.prc*
    TutorialRsc_Tips_CROW.cprc*
    TutorialRsc_Tips_CROW_enUS.lprc*
    TutorialApp_Device.prc
    TutorialApp_Device_CROW.cprc
    *may have been stripped already

BlueTooth files removed to get 1.13 version BT (Assuming lang strip)
    BluetoothExt_Device.prc
    BtCommVdrvLib_Device.bprc
    BtCommVdrvLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtDeviceLib_Device.prc
    BtExgLib_Device.bprc
    BtExgLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtHandsfreePnl_Device.bprc
    BtHandsfreePnl_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtHsmLib_Device.prc
    BtLibLib_Device.bprc
    BtLibLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtManagerApp.bprc
    BtManagerApp_enUS.oprc
    BtManPnl.prc
    BtStackLib_Device.prc
    BtTransportLib_Device.bprc
    BtTransportLib_Device_enUS.oprc

1.13 files put in ROM (Assuming lang strip)
    BtHandsfreePnl_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtHsmLib_Device.prc
    BtLibLib_Device.bprc
    BtLibLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtManagerApp.bprc
    BtManagerApp_enUS.oprc
    BtManPnl.prc
    BtStackLib_Device.prc
    BtTransportLib_Device.bprc
    BtTransportLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BluetoothExt_Device.prc
    BtCommVdrvLib_Device.bprc
    BtCommVdrvLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtDeviceLib_Device.prc
    BtExgLib_Device.bprc
    BtExgLib_Device_enUS.oprc
    BtHandsfreePnl_Device.bprc

Remove World Clock (Assuming lang strip)
    Clock.bprc
    Clock_enUS.oprc

Remove Welcome (Assuming lang strip) **May affect CC-Cap issue verify 255
    SetupApp_CROW.cprc
    SetupApp_enUS.oprc
    SetupApp.bprc

Remove Blazer (Assuming lang strip)
    BlazerApp_Device.bprc
    BlazerApp_Device_CROW.cprc
    BlazerApp_Device_CROW_enUS.lprc
    BlazerApp_Device_enUS.oprc
    BlazerRsc_Tips.prc
    BlazerRsc_Tips_CROW.cprc
    BlazerRsc_Tips_CROW_enUS.lprc

Files to trigger Lang. Selection:
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/28/2006 at 11:22 AM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    A few files that have come in handy:

Quick ENA SD updater to change partition to 7.1MB (MUST ADD ace-palmos.zip & ace-palmos.zip.md5)
    7_1 ROM.zip

Files to trigger lang selection to keep CC-Cap fix
    Cap Lang.zip

SMS fix from Palm. (This is not the version from 1.13)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/28/2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Bad DE Files.zip, Please discard file and use Cap Lang.zip

Hi James

Excellent thread, thanks for doing this.

I started off with your cust 1 ROM a few weeks ago.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564

So most of the above have already been done for me, by you

I will remove the Tips next.

So far I have removed the Palm Calculator and Blazer.

I left the Blazer Tips files in ROM, so I'll wipe them out now.

What advantage do the 1.13 BT files give, and where can they be obtained.

Next step for me is to shrink my partition, after following another of your links

Cheers for all of this.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  5.    #5  
    The reason the BT is there is there were half a dozen users who could get their Treo's talking to their cars with 1.13 and then they had issues with the changes. I don't use this nor recommend it unless you have a really specific need.

In "files to trigger lang selection to keep CC-Cap fix":
    look in the seven files in the zip.

In another post you said we don't need DigitizerPnl_xxXX.oprc,
    we need System_xxXX.oprc.

Is it correct?

Thanks James for your job.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah good catch. Fixing it right now.

Excellent thread. This is exactly what I was looking for this morning. I will be creating my custom ROM this weekend for my Sprint 650 and was trying to compile all the pertinent information. Thanks! I will edit with any tips that I might find.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Another question:
    if I remove Blazer from Rom,
    what do I install in Ram/SD to use it (.prc)?

Or another browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by operators
    Another question:
    if I remove Blazer from Rom,
    what do I install in Ram/SD to use it (.prc)?

Or another browser?
    What I did was copied the ROM files across onto my SD card from within my Treo using FileProg, which then converted them into the correct format.

Once I had then deleted the files from my ROM I copied them from my SD card back to RAM.

There are 4 files to copy. Which leaves the 3 Rsc tips files in ROM, which I have left there for now.

So far I have not been able to run Blazer from SD card. It will work, but it does not register with the Treo, so other apps can not see it.

For some reason PowerRun could not see Blazer so I had to do it manually, if you get it to work from SD card let me know
    Thought of the day :
    Good Job!
    I admire your knowledge, and the fact that you Linked my Thread : 'Cust-Rom Only Way!', I take as a Huge Compliment.
    Thanks.

Note to All:
    As regards james' mentioning that the threads are long, yea they are. But if you want to avoid running into trouble you'll Read them before jumping in feet first.
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    **Remember this is only an issue for the GSM 1.20 versions**

Updated- I now recommend these files to be run from RAM:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=84

I have hesitated posting this, but have mentioned it a few times. This is by no means a solution to the CC-Cap issue but another work a round. This is also the one I use personally. Mainly because I have removed the Welcome app and tend to Hard reset my Treo with some regularity.

My CC-Cap: is blank. This happens because of many reasons, but changing your ROM partition is one*(see below for another workaround). I have done this quite a bit while testing and find having to run Palm's updater to be a pain everytime I break the token. It also scares me to run the Firmware update that many times, as I understand it there is a risk there I like to eliminate. So as I see it there are three work a rounds, but not a true solution.

1- Run Palm's updater using a pre-established hotsync ID, and restore that hotsync ID after update. Then Modify your ROM with the RomTool.You also have to make sure you keep the 7 lang. selection files to trigger it and the Welcome app.
    2- *If you want to keep the above work a round while also reducing your ROM partition this is possible by running Palm's updater. Then right before restoring, run an SD updater on the Treo reducing the partition. Then restoring and letting the updater write the token. (This was thanks to Berd, I take not credit for this)
    3- The option I use, this requires you to use a patched file. This is thanks to hash, the file is located here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=216
    If you replace this in your ROM you will get 255. This does not do the same thing as having the token populated, it bypasses the check. So there are a few other things that happen as a result. First amrdeclib and Shared Tips are not restored after a hard reset. So you need to put amdeclib into your ROM. I always deleted Shared Tips so I see that as a bonus. There may be other issues but I am not aware of any. You can also remove all other lang files and Welcome app. This may also be of use to those who need to get CarrierDB vs 255 and have a Mac, or non-windows to update their Treo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 07/07/2006 at 12:18 PM.

Interesting CC-Cap post

The shared Tips file you refer to, is it the SharedContent_Tips file. Another 215 kb to lose if so

If so, where do these tips appear?

Thanks.

PS is it possbile to make this thread sticky as it's so useful and I'm sure others will kick themselves if they miss it.

Edit I've noticed the above file is in RAM, so perhaps it's another one you are referring to
    Last edited by ChasT; 03/25/2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: ROM RAM confusion :)
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Excellent post.
    thanks
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Interesting CC-Cap post

The shared Tips file you refer to, is it the SharedContent_Tips file. Another 215 kb to lose if so

If so, where do these tips appear?

Thanks.

PS is it possbile to make this thread sticky as it's so useful and I'm sure others will kick themselves if they miss it.

Edit I've noticed the above file is in RAM, so perhaps it's another one you are referring to
    Yes that is the file I am refering to, it comes out of another file into RAM after hard reset normally. Not sure exactly where it displays.

Thanks James ...

an excellent and helpful post ... it is really good to have this info as an easy to read "ready reckoner" ....

it would be great if this could be made into a sticky .... is there any chance of getting that to happen ..

ChasT ...

the SharedContent_Tips file always seems to reappear in RAM after a hard or ZOR .. even when it doesn't appear in your hotsync backup folder ....so i am guessing that it is somehow generated from within the rom by the reset process ..... i am not sure what it does ..... i did ask in a post once ... but can't recall the details of the reply ... i think that it contributes to the tutorial info which most of us remove .... but am not 100% certain on that .......

but it's the first thing that i delete after a hard reset or ZOR .... i delete it every time ... and my treo runs real sweet now .... so deleting it hasn't caused any apparent problems on my treo

thanks to james, bert , cranium and the rest of the custom gang ..
  17.    #17  
    I think we need to have a mod make this a sticky. There is a nice spot in this sticky:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...09&postcount=1
    Under the "Modifications that may be of interest - proceed at your own risk"

Any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I think we need to have a mod make this a sticky. There is a nice spot in this sticky:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...09&postcount=1
    Under the "Modifications that may be of interest - proceed at your own risk"

Any chance?
    I agree. By following the compiled information (links) on this thread and tips I was able to create my custom ROM today with FAT 32. No issues at all. It was so simple because all the info was in one place. Thanks!!!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  19.    #19  
    To remove Get Good and Xpress Mail remove the following:

GetGood.prc
    GetMail.prc

You can then remove the VersaMail files as listed.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    A few files that have come in handy:

Quick ENA SD updater to change partition to 7.1MB (MUST ADD ace-palmos.zip & ace-palmos.zip.md5)
    7_1 ROM.zip

Files to trigger lang selection to keep CC-Cap fix
    Cap Lang.zip

SMS fix from Palm. (This is not the version from 1.13)
    This must be a stupid Question, because no one else has asked it. I've been running your Cust 1 ROM for about 10 days. I've take out the Datebook and ToDo files and am looking at some others.

Is it stupidity or wishful thinking... to think that I can use the above file (7_1 ROM.zip) with my current ace-palmos and md5 files to do a card install and get the 7.1 partition?

As of now I'm down to 5.4MB ROM with an 8.4 Partition, or is there more to it that I am not seeing or understanding?
    Last edited by hpspringer; 03/29/2006 at 01:57 PM.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast