Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    You do not rename 3rd party apps.

The issue with keeping a second language is a null issue now that the carrierdb's are newer than what is included in the ROM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Thanks James.

I stripped back my 1.20 LAP ROM to 5.2MB, that went fine, then I added in Palmary Clock to the ROM and all continues to be very healthy.

Only thing that "suffered" were some, not all, of the prefs from Palmary. This is probably because, prior to the ROM upload, I had used Zlauncher to shift the copy of Palmary from its usual home in RAM onto the SD card, and this took some of the prefs with it. Ive looked thru my relevant BackupMan backup and cant see anything obvious to restore though. Nothng to worry about, but I am interested in the general principle involved here because...

...next I would like to add in Zlauncher itself and I have customised that a fair bit. So can anyone tell me the best sequence of moving/deleting any given app from RAM (in terms of retaining prefs,etc) prior to uploading the new ROM? Should I just delete the RAM copy of the prc using FileZ, and then upload? Or does the copy of the app in the ROM just overwrite any copy in the RAM? Or is there some other, better strategy?
    Im a nube and im trying to use an 8gb card in my sprint 650 can someone help me out, ive tried and got lost somewere i really dont want to toast my phone
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    This thread is not intended to be Yet Another Thread about customizing. This is intended for those who already know what and how they want and the tricks and tips used or any cool things they have figured out.

I would like to get some Carrier specific things here to for Cingular, Sprint etc. As I am an unlocked GSM user I don't know those setups as well.

If you are looking to start please read through these threads. They may be long but you will get the info you need to start.

Step by Step
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

RomTool
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543

Custom Roming the only way.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108580

RomUpdaterApp
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107666

** This is a use at your own risk activity **
    James,

I have the following files from my TREO 650 update:

Treo650-htc-tpl.zip.pdb
    Treo650-htc-tpl.zip.md5.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-cvt1.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-cvt1.md5.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-cvt2.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-cvt2.md5
    Treo650-ipl-dvt.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-dvt.md5.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-evt.pdb
    Treo650-ipl-evt.md5.pdb
    Treo650-palmos-tpl.zip.pdb
    Treo650-palmos-tpl.zip.md5.pdb
    Treo650-spl.pdb
    Treo650-spl.md5.pdb

Do I replace the Treo650 with ace and use these files for ROm resizing to 7.1 MB ?
    You do not rename 3rd party apps.

The issue with keeping a second language is a null issue now that the carrierdb's are newer than what is included in the ROM.
    So James do we need to keep the following 7 language files or can we strip those too now?

Files to trigger Lang. Selection:
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc
    Hi guys,

I still have not got any definite answer to my queries about shifting 3rd party application to the ROM. Do I have to do it 1 application by 1 application to get it working?? Pls advise as my ROM only have 5M plus and about 2M wasted (although I know the empty space is good for the dbcahe memory). Pls help
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vince72 View Post
    Hi guys,

I still have not got any definite answer to my queries about shifting 3rd party application to the ROM. Do I have to do it 1 application by 1 application to get it working?? Pls advise as my ROM only have 5M plus and about 2M wasted (although I know the empty space is good for the dbcahe memory). Pls help
    What works for me is the following:

1. Do one 3rd party app at a time. This is only sensible to see if the app is causing any problems in ROM. For the one app that Ive had probs with in ROM (PalmaryClock Wireless 1.1.1) it took several days before I realised it was causing video recording to cause soft resets. ROMTool is so easy to use that adding another ROM later is actually fun.

2. Check the first post of this thread for comments on ROM compatability of individual 3rd party apps.

3. Start by making sure you have a copy of your 3rd part app, say app.prc, either by copying to SD card if it's not there already, or from some original application download files.

4. Delete/Uninstall the 3rd Party app ONLY from RAM. Leave all other files associated with app.prc wherever they normally live.

5. Add app.prc (without any name change) to a ROM in "directory" format on the PC, for upload to Palm via ROMTool.

6. Upload as a directory using ROMTool
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    What works for me is the following:

1. Do one 3rd party app at a time. This is only sensible to see if the app is causing any problems in ROM. For the one app that Ive had probs with in ROM (PalmaryClock Wireless 1.1.1) it took several days before I realised it was causing video recording to cause soft resets. ROMTool is so easy to use that adding another ROM later is actually fun.

2. Check the first post of this thread for comments on ROM compatability of individual 3rd party apps.

3. Start by making sure you have a copy of your 3rd part app, say app.prc, either by copying to SD card if it's not there already, or from some original application download files.

4. Delete/Uninstall the 3rd Party app ONLY from RAM. Leave all other files associated with app.prc wherever they normally live.

5. Add app.prc (without any name change) to a ROM in "directory" format on the PC, for upload to Palm via ROMTool.

6. Upload as a directory using ROMTool
    Hi, thanks for your detail summary but I am still a bit confused on POint 4-6.

What I did:
    - I copy the app.prc from the "backup" folder in my PalmOne folder under my syncid to the "ace-palmos" zip file.
    - I jus simply open the ace-palmos.zip and place the app.prc into the folder then close it.
    - Then I upload the "ace-palmos.zip" to the Treo via ROMTOOL
    - After ROMTOOL let me know it has been successful and prompt me to hard reset my device after closing the ROMTOOL, I close program and do a hard reset by taking out the battery and hold on the "RED" button till the PALM round logo appear.

Is it enough to ensure the softwre is inside the ROM?? Thanks
    I've got it finally. Thanks
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vince72 View Post
    Hi, thanks for your detail summary but I am still a bit confused on POint 4-6.

What I did:
    - I copy the app.prc from the "backup" folder in my PalmOne folder under my syncid to the "ace-palmos" zip file.
    - I jus simply open the ace-palmos.zip and place the app.prc into the folder then close it.
    - Then I upload the "ace-palmos.zip" to the Treo via ROMTOOL
    - After ROMTOOL let me know it has been successful and prompt me to hard reset my device after closing the ROMTOOL, I close program and do a hard reset by taking out the battery and hold on the "RED" button till the PALM round logo appear.

Is it enough to ensure the softwre is inside the ROM?? Thanks
    I havent had any experience with using the zip-file transfer method, Ive always been downloading and uploading in directory format without any problems (following the steps in the James' PDF here.)

Doing it this way, I have only needed to SOFT reset the palm at the end of the upload (close ROMTool first). And I think even if you upload via zip file, a soft reset would also be sufficient. Having said that, a hard reset in itself shouldnt affect anything in the ROM, only the RAM.

(Also, on the 650 you dont have to remove the battery to do a standard hard reset. Just remove the palstic cover at the back, then use the stylus to depress the reset button, while holding down the red button).

Q1: When you "open" the zip files, I take it that you can view the files inside? If so when, if you redownload the uploaded ROM into which you previously placed app.prc, can you still see it there?

Q2: What apps are you trying to put in ROM. Have any worked or been visible in your palm Launcher?
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    After a custom rom on my cingular 1.17 treo I stopped receiving SMS....When I send out a text it just grays out but the other party receives it while it stays in my outbox then When I receive a text it plays the sound but no text in my inbox?

Custom rom details:
    Removed Versamail and added Versamail 3.5
    removed blazer, versamail, realplayer, Getmail, Tutorials, Tips, Welcome.

Added FAT32, fastmode blazer, versamail 3.5, USB modem, PalmRevolt, Card reader.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biz78 View Post
    After a custom rom on my cingular 1.17 treo I stopped receiving SMS....When I send out a text it just grays out but the other party receives it while it stays in my outbox then When I receive a text it plays the sound but no text in my inbox?

Custom rom details:
    Removed Versamail and added Versamail 3.5
    removed blazer, versamail, realplayer, Getmail, Tutorials, Tips, Welcome.

Added FAT32, fastmode blazer, versamail 3.5, USB modem, PalmRevolt, Card reader.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

You may have inadvertently deleted some files when you deleted Versamail. If you deleted all the files beginning with MM then that is where your problem probably lies.

Right in the middle of the Versamail files are 3 file that you need to keep; MMSTransport.prc, MMSTransportLib.bprc, and MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc.

I accidentally deleted these when doing my custom Rom almost a year ago and had a similiar problem. After putting them back it, I was all set.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpspringer View Post
    You may have inadvertently deleted some files when you deleted Versamail. If you deleted all the files beginning with MM then that is where your problem probably lies.

Right in the middle of the Versamail files are 3 file that you need to keep; MMSTransport.prc, MMSTransportLib.bprc, and MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc.

I accidentally deleted these when doing my custom Rom almost a year ago and had a similiar problem. After putting them back it, I was all set.
    Apparently, I didn't touch those three files...they are still intact? Could it be the Getmail app?
    Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I have searched and been unable to find an answer. I updated my Treo 650 Cingular Unlocked from CNG to ENA thanks to the generous help found here. Since, I have a
    My CC-Cap: is blank
    But my Carrier say 355.

My question is: does this matter one bit? I haven't figured out or found info as to what CC-Cap really is.

Anyhow, thank you so much for all your precious help and fabulous information shared on this board.
  15.    #175  
    Blank CC-Cap does not matter. The only two things 1. carrierdb version(yours is newer) 2. amrdeclib if you have that in ROM you are ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tibitin View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I have searched and been unable to find an answer. I updated my Treo 650 Cingular Unlocked from CNG to ENA thanks to the generous help found here. Since, I have a
    My CC-Cap: is blank
    But my Carrier say 355.

My question is: does this matter one bit? I haven't figured out or found info as to what CC-Cap really is.

Anyhow, thank you so much for all your precious help and fabulous information shared on this board.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Thank you for the speedy answer, James. And many thanks for your many informative posts--I must have spent hours reading your advice in the past couple of weeks. The end result is that my phone now is better, has more capabilities, runs faster, doesn't reset as often, and has more breathing space.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Extracting a specific ROM from Palm updater.

- Start Treo updater. Get to the point it asks you to hotsync.
    - Browse to your \Palm or \PalmOne folder.
    - Copy the Treo Updater folder to [Desktop] or location of your choice. You can now close the Palm updater.
    - Run RomTool, Choose the Convert ROM Format tab.
    - [Select]-> ROM Zip (.pdb format) enter or browse to location you copied.
    - Setup your Output ROM for Directory, Create directory (if not exist), then [Export].
    James,

Still confused. I have a Cingular 650 with ROM=1.17 stripped. Am I better off if I update to 1.20 while preserving the smaller ROM=7.1? What is the best overall solution? Goal is to increase dbcache and obtain benefits of newest updates.
    Okay,

So after a whole lot of reading, some problems going from CNG to ENA I was thinking I will not tackle the custom ROM right yet. I was going to use on of the custom ROM's linked to in the early posts but they appear to have been removed from the host site the link points to?

Any help?
    Doesn't work :S
  20.    #180  
    Rapid share ran out of disk space and deleted all of the roms I uploaded. Before that had happened my notebook that I had all the ROMs on was destoyed. I have the CNG_to_ENA ROM. All the other Custom ROM's I have not redone as the ROMTool is far safer. All the lists are in the beginning of this thread.

Also, FastMode Blazer is the Blazer version from the Life Drive. It has some pluses and some minuses. I don't really recommend it anymore as downloading files is very problematic.

If you run ito any problems post here, using the ROMTool you can't really brick your Treo.