Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog341 View Post
    once you redo the partition, it is permanent until you change the partition again. you can fiddle with ROM indipendantly of the partition.

Thanks Firedog!
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    . . . I followed the procedure outlined by James. Everything went smoothly until I typed rev cvt2. I get "invalid command" This has been posted before, but I cant find the answer to the problem.

I am using a customer ROM with the following readme file
    1.20 ENA ROM
    This version is stripped of all but English and German*; VersaMail, RealPlayer, Clock Tutorial removed.

I selected the 7.1MB ROMUpdaterApp

Any suggestions?
    I tried a hard reset and put in the SD card. Running the ROMUpdaterApp shows:

ROM image directory found on card. Installing from there.

When I type rev cvt2 those character are not shown on the screen. Is that normal? When I hit enter, I get: "Invalid Command"

Strange. Probably an easy fix, but I need help.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Even though I am only repartitioning the ROM, it looks like for GSM phone that you will also need the FWupdate files to be there too. The 7 files that I used are:
    FirmwareFlasher.pdb
    FirmwareParamInd.pdb
    FirmwarePatch2.pdb
    FirmwarePatch.pdb
    FirmwareStackRel.pdb
    FirmwareUpdaterApp.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_enUS.prc

Once I put these files in the Launcher folder the ROMupdateApp ran fine.

My free memory went from 3.3MB to 4.7MB which is a nice jump.
    Last edited by swieder; 11/25/2006 at 12:47 PM.
  4.    #144  
    Invalid command could be you are pushing the down arrow before typing. don't .
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Invalid command could be you are pushing the down arrow before typing. don't .
    I dont think it was a data entry problem. It seemed to be the missing files that I listed above
  6.    #146  
    The rev cvt2 method does not upgrade firmware only the rom image. If you were doing the automated method where you run the updater by inserting the card it does update the firmware as part of the process.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I was only updating the ROM, but the RomupdaterApp would not run on my GSM phone unless the FW update file were also present. I was not updating the FW, but the FWupdate files needed to be present to not get the invalid command error when I typed the cvt commands.
    Well... i messed up.

im in a bricked loop right now, but i can get back to my boot loader/rom screen.

Umm. i basically downloaded the ace.zip file and started picking at the origional and then clicked upload to that.. now its looping after hitting the 2nd Palm screen.

Can someone please send me a clean rom that i can upload via rom tools? is that what will help me?

email: doricoro @ gmail dot com
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by question View Post
    Well... i messed up.

im in a bricked loop right now, but i can get back to my boot loader/rom screen.
    Can you provide a bit more info.

Are you using the new ROM Tool?

Did you download your ROM and then copied it to another folder and modify that?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    What do you need. To know. I saved my rom then began to change the arcive it self

yes to new rom tool

fw : 1.20

its in a reset loop right now
    Last edited by question; 12/13/2006 at 05:24 PM.
    anyone please...
  12.    #152  
    You downloaded the rom as a zip? If so extract the zip to a folder. Then upload the folder via the directory option. The zip must have a .md5. The romtool will create it for you using the directory option.

nevermind the chinese forums have proven to be more helpful
    Last edited by question; 12/14/2006 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Backup data to SD
    Hard reset
    Customize rom
    Restore data from SD
    I've seen several places talking about backing up to SD and I'm wondering why to SD? Why not to the PC? I tried the StepByStepROMTool.pdf process thinking I'd read all there was in the threads. The USB drivers installed fine, then ROMTool gave me the "Upload error: does your phone have a security password?" -- and I'm a sole user - no company installed password, and I don't even use Goodlink.
    hey guys, i'm a straight up noob to the whole treo world. i'm just going to lay that out right now before i ask my stupid question...

i've been pouring over the posts on treocentral and mytreo for a week now about the rom update for being able to use larger capacity sd cards. from what i've read (and semi understood) i found myself wondering why it is that someone doesnt create a file download of their personal custom rom? explain all they have done with it etc and say "if you want it you can use it" Now you all are very inteligent people and i know you would have thought of this already, so i guess my real question is why CAN'T you do this? What is the restriction?

thanks in advance for helping a somewhat sub-par computerstupid treo owner out!
  16.    #156  
    There are some like that out there. I created a few. For me the biggest reason not to use those is as a noob you can if not careful brick your phone. The ROM Tool method makes it nearly impossible to brick your phone. Quck steps for Fat32 are near the front of this thread.

In a nutshell
    download .net runtime
    download romtool
    download fat32.prc
    install .net
    install romtool
    attach treo
    download rom to folder
    copy downloaded folder
    delete fatfs.prc
    copy in fat32.prc (do not rename)
    upload folder

Hi, I have finally got my hand into customising my Treo 650. I'm As my company does not allow us to bring in SD Card (due to security reason, dunno why also), I was forced to squeeze out every single bits from my Treo650.

I have gone thru the explaination and hoping to get some mod to my Treo real soon. I intend to remove Versa Mail, Camera, Web and others tat takes up space which I don't use.

If I were to replace the applications with some other 3rd party applications, do I have to make any changes?? I have tried to just move the application .PRC file into the ROM but not working. Pls advise.
    hey guys could someone help me,
    i followed the step by step guide,but i dont see a grack image on the treo screen and all the buttons are grayed out in the rom tool. i cannot see any phone info. it stays in waiting for phone thing, and only two points as progressed..... it keeps waiting at the same state. could someone figure out whats happening on the treo.

Edit- the connection is established and i installed the device properly using the rom tool drivers. and i am in the bootloader mode.
  19.    #159  
    Try opening the romtool, then connect your treo and put it in bootloader mode.

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vince72 View Post
    If I were to replace the applications with some other 3rd party applications, do I have to make any changes?? I have tried to just move the application .PRC file into the ROM but not working. Pls advise.
    I am interested in this as well. I've seen posts suggesting that when you shift a program the other way (i.e. ROM to RAM) you should rename PROGRAM.oprc to PROGRAM.prc. So when you shift from RAM to ROM, do you rename PROGRAM.prc to PROGRAM.oprc, or does ROMTool do any required renaming for you automatically?

Second question: I thought I'd read in another thread that when one strips back the languages, there is some benefit in keeping two languages. True or False?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast