Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Reducing your partition size will give you more storage space, "RAM".

1. I don't have LauncherX in ROM anymore now that it is back in development. That wqay you can upgrade directly.

2. I believe TakePhone uses the same Contacts db so I would not delete Contacts

3. For MMS or picture messages
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Reducing your partition size will give you more storage space, "RAM".

1. I don't have LauncherX in ROM anymore now that it is back in development. That wqay you can upgrade directly.
    I want to do a hard reset and expunge all the trial software off my Treo and start fresh, that is why I am asking if you know what the LauncherX files are. I deleted the default Launcher via ROM and am concerned that after a hard reset my phone will be unusable without a launcher in ROM.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
  3.    #103  
    Launcher_X.prc
    LXOS5Standard.PRC

I believe these are the only needed files, the rest are databases. You could add whatever skin you are using as well.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

OBTWMTIDFJTTYWWTK ????

I am guessing some of it:
    Oh By The Way My Thought Is..... Then I get stuck. BTW, I am in Layton Utah.... Not too far away - What did you think of the Cougars this week?
  5.    #105  
    It was from a thread a while back. Something to the effect of BTW my treo is doing just fine, in case you were wondering.

It was nice to see them play the way you expect them to. I hope it is the beginning of something good & not a tease.

Launcher_X.prc
    LXOS5Standard.PRC

I believe these are the only needed files, the rest are databases. You could add whatever skin you are using as well.
    Thanks! What is the reason why you would not want to add its database to ROM?
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    To remove lang but english do a search on you folder for _dede and delete all files, repeat for _itit etc.
    I tried this last night and bricked my phone - never ending reset loop. In my case there were at least 300 files or more - that end in _deDE, _esES, itIT, frFR and after I had deleted them all I saved a whopping 6 MB, however after updating my ROM, my phone was useless.

I had to revert back to my first custom ROM which I had only removed specific files for Versamail, Todo, Clock, Memos, Launcher, RealPlayer.

Any suggestions on figuring out why I bricked my phone by removing those language files?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I had the same problem.

This is what I figured out, when I dump my rom I did two ... 1-zipped and 1- directory. Everytime I removed what I wanted and ran the rom tool it goes to the zipped files and does it thing, but when it finishes my treo goes into a loop. So, I made a backup of my directory files before removing files and putting in files that I want and this time I pointed the rom tool to the directory folder to load up and it started up by zipping up the files and loaded it and everything worked just fine.

So, for me I use the directory method within the rom tool, I noticed on the forum there were several other people who had the same issues. But it is good that there are choices for you in case something goes wrong.

With the rom tool I make a couple of back ups before I start any mods, and I always use the directory method to upload.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    I tried this last night and bricked my phone - never ending reset loop. In my case there were at least 300 files or more - that end in _deDE, _esES, itIT, frFR and after I had deleted them all I saved a whopping 6 MB, however after updating my ROM, my phone was useless.
    Well... this is weird...

Personally I have created a folder called Rom, here I keep everything related, like docs, pdfs, pgms, prcs, etc
    • Inside I have expanded RomTool into its own folder
    • Created folder MyTreo, and inside:
    • Created folder Images, here I keep every ace-palmos.zip I have created, each one into a folder called with the date created
    • Created folder Original, here I keep the very first RomTool output and I never touch the content!
    • Copied folder Original as Work, here I do the job before uploading the content to my Treo!
    • Created folder ToNil, here I move files from Work that I do not want into the rom
    • Created folder ToRam, here I keep files that I moved from rom to ram (be careful to not just move files from the Work folder or you'll end up having a wrong name, I'll write down later how I move from rom to ram)
    • Created folder ToRom, here I keep a copy of files that I do want into the rom (and so are copied into Work too! )

Before uploading the Work folder to my Treo I always do a backup image (but I upload the dir, not the image).

To move files from rom to ram I do this:
    • Copy from Rom to SD (\Palm\Launcher\) with FileZ, this way I get the PalmOS name instead of the external one! i.e. ToDo.bprc becomes Tasks-PTod.prc
    • Move from Work to ToRam and upload rom to Treo
    • After reset copy from SD to Ram and adjust attributes (NO readonly, YES backup)
    • Do a hotsync to have a copy into the user's Backup folder
    • Create a folder Bck into ToRam
    • Copy from Backup to ToRAM\Bck to have a copy handy

Beware if you use ZLauncher: if files are moved back to SD (\Palm\Launcher\) with FileZ, then ZLauncher is not able to copy in ram the language overlay and thus the application doesn't run! (so keep the language overlay in ram or just keep everything in ram...)

My very first rom update was to remove the unwanted languages and I did this:
    • Deleted files *deDE.* *esES.* *frFR.*
    • Deleted DefConnectionDB_jpJP.pdb (japanese language overlay?? )
    • Deleted tutorial: TutorialApp_Device*.* and TutorialRsc_Tips*.*
    • Deleted FatFS.prc and added Fat32.prc
    • Deleted Real Player: Real*.*
    • Replaced SmartTextEngine_Device.prc with the Post v1.20 update by Palm
    Ciao,
    Giangi
  10. wpy
    Hi people

I finally went ahead and had a custom rom created via romtools(deleted all language except english, lose versamail, realplayer, blazer and clock. added fat32 and the txt fix. also added resco explorer to rom, notepad and fast mode blazer). i also went ahead and repartitioned the rom to 7.1mb as my custom rom as only around 6mb via romupdater. After doing all that and restoring all my data, everything works great.. gained about 2+mb. The only thing is my CC Cap is now blank. Ive read around here on t.c. and james did mention about this if you repartition. My question is:

1. Is having a blank CC Cap ok? everything seem to be working fine at the momment.

2. What is the signigicant of the CC Cap. Mine use to be something like Treo6501.20-LAP or something like that... Im not sure anymore. btw my carrier db is listed as 2.70.

I hope people can comment on this and if this need to be fixed point me in the right direction to start fixing...

Many thanks
    wpy
    Last edited by wpy; 10/11/2006 at 11:47 PM.
  11.    #111  
    CC-Cap doesn't matter if it is blank, mine is. 270 is the latest. your good.

12. wpy
    CC-Cap doesn't matter if it is blank, mine is. 270 is the latest. your good.
    Thanks for the reply james. Treo doing great and very stable since the rom update. no reset yet. hehe... Thanks for the great lit you have here... could not have done it without you and all the others here on treo central...

more power..
    wpy
    hey mmastrac or jamesgagut, just wondering if you've thought about the Rom and programs from the new 680? think it would be possible to transplant items to a 650? just curious...
  14.    #114  
    Once we get a copy of the ROM I am certainly going to try loading apps out of the ROM and try them on the 650. I am planning on getting one. Unless is is not a "Low Cost" version.

Hey james,

this is THE great question... which 680 apps will make our 650 better! Please keeps us updated and let us know if you need any help too!
    I have searched and searched and I cannot find the original Sprint 650 Rom. I deleted sounds and alerts and now my phone doesnt vibrate anymore. I even tried downloading some of the customs that were posted and they have all expired. Can someone please direct me to a good custom that is available. I've updated to the 7.1 partition size, and I'd like to keep fat32. But I dont need anything fancy, just all the need the unneeded stuff trimmed away. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinStyles3 View Post
    I have searched and searched and I cannot find the original Sprint 650 Rom. I deleted sounds and alerts and now my phone doesnt vibrate anymore. I even tried downloading some of the customs that were posted and they have all expired. Can someone please direct me to a good custom that is available. I've updated to the 7.1 partition size, and I'd like to keep fat32. But I dont need anything fancy, just all the need the unneeded stuff trimmed away. Thanks.
    I would think the original ROMs could be had by going through the latest firmware update found at Palm.com. This is an assumption on my part, however, so you should check it out first.

Carol
    Yeah, I'd assume so. But I had read something about the new firmware upgrades from Palm being able to recognize if you had modified your ROM. The result, you phone would be bricked. So I dont want to do that.
    Because it's a good business move to start delibrately bricking your products... Where did you read this from?

well them adding the feature to make your phone die after u have edited it is something they can do AS THIS IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW infact it is against the law for u to edit the rom (as it is copyrighted) so yes they can add this feature .
    nokia allready does along with samsung and a few others, also sony(psp), ds ect and before anyone says they are coz u are removing protection that is incorrect its coz u have edited the firmware in anyway (also u are removing protection of the rom file otherwise u would not be able to edit it in the first place)
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast