Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Custom ROM has no effect on locking. I have talked to several people who got bad codes from Cing. I recommend just buying one from 650unlock.com It will take you 5 minutes and you are done.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    3- The option I use, this requires you to use a patched file. This is thanks to hash, the file is located here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=216
    If you replace this in your ROM you will get 255. This does not do the same thing as having the token populated, it bypasses the check. So there are a few other things that happen as a result. First amrdeclib and Shared Tips are not restored after a hard reset. So you need to put amdeclib into your ROM. I always deleted Shared Tips so I see that as a bonus. There may be other issues but I am not aware of any. You can also remove all other lang files and Welcome app. This may also be of use to those who need to get CarrierDB vs 255 and have a Mac, or non-windows to update their Treo.
    To put this in perspective, I haven't had a Treo, or any Palm, for long and just got into hacking it, last week, so please excuse my ignorance.

After several hours of reading, I was able to reduce my partition to 7.1MB and my ROM to 5.4MB. I included hash's 'CarrierCustomizationLib.prc', in the ROM, and the "Carrier DB" survives, as "255", through a hard reset. My questions are: do I need the 'AmrDecLib.PRC', 'CarrierProfiles2.PDB' and 'NetworkProfiles2.PDB' files? If so, what do I do with the 'pdb' files since, as I understand it, they can't be included in ROM?

I should, probably, mention I removed all lang files but English, as well as "Tips" and "Welcome".

Thanks for both the ROM Tool and the information. 8-

If Shadowmite can do it, why can't Palm? http://forums.palm.com/pe/action/for...ostID=20304568 Tell them you're mad as hell and will see them in court, if that's what it takes to get them to honour their commitments.
  3.    #83  
    AmrDecLib can be put in rom. It is a library needed to play AMR sounds. Used in your camcorder app as well as other places. I would put it in rom. If you get 255 after hard reset you are setup for the the other two files already.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

4.    #84  
    I have been running the 270 version of the CarrierDB for a month or so and have found it to work better for my T-mobile service. Because of the fact that the files for this can be updated by Palm and then have to run from RAM anyway the 249 vs. 255 issue seems to be a null point. I have posted the 270 version files in this post for thos interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm getting an error saying "Upload error: does your phone have a security password?" Is there any way around this? The password is put on our phones through the Goodlink server policy so we can't turn it off.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb
    I'm getting an error saying "Upload error: does your phone have a security password?" Is there any way around this? The password is put on our phones through the Goodlink server policy so we can't turn it off.
    Backup data to SD
    Hard reset
    Customize rom
    Restore data from SD

What happens when my ROm has a little bit differnt names? For instance I have file names of:

LocsLib_deUS.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc

but this thread is telling me to remove:

LocsLib_enUS.oprc
    SetupApp_enUS.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_enUS.oprc

I halso have 2 files that are named the same except they end in ES. I'm assuming this means spanish. I want to remove everything so that I have no other option for language but English.

1. How do I do this?
    2. Can I remove those other (ES) files when I remove the EN ones?
    In all the cases I've seen you need to leave one of the languages
    DE German
    FR French
    ES Spanish
    EN English

Not sure off hand what other ones there are.

The only way to do it is through a custom ROM. Once you've downloaded your ROM onto your PC it's easy to find the files that need to be removed. This link will help tell you which files can and can't be removed.

Just did my first custom ROM. I studied this tread for several hours, I was affraid I'd make a brick. Once I did it I couldn't believe how easy it was. And my phone is much more stable and faster.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Thanks...I was able to remove a lot of "garbage". I have looked and looked...even did a search, but I cannot seem to find a place to walk me through installed the FAT32 FS. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, I have done tons of changes to my ROM at this point. Do I only need to replace one file to upgrade to FAT32? I want to do it, but only if I don't need to re-do all the changes I have already made to my ROM.
    Can I put these in my ROM?
    Butler
    Chatter
    mVoiceMail
    Seven
    Directory Assistant
    Flight Status
    Zlauncher
    PDANet
    PDAReach
    Last edited by rocky2; 08/04/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    hey caminator, to add FAT32 you just need to replace the FAT16 file with the FAT32 and you're done...
    Rocky, just look in Post #2 of this thread, and you'll find the list of files to remove Versamail and Realplayer. I don't know about the entire list, but I know the Dir Asst does not work in ROM, but ZLauncher does (as long as you put a Theme in ROM as well). There's a thread here where people are listing the programs that do/don't work, try searching for that...
    Has anyone dared try to hack the built-in phone entries? For example palm assesories and support numbers are there in the ROM. I would like to include a "if lost please call" in ROM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Can't do a good search on my Treo so forgive me if this was answered.

I created a custom ROM but when I try to do a OTA download of a PRC file I'm told my phone does not support that file type. I can download to my SD card and then transfer to RAM though.
    My question is what file do I need to replace to get that function back?
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Hello. I have a question about upgrading the BT on my T650. I have had a lot of trouble with my connection while on calls with BT (right next to it yadda yadda). Someone on HoFo gave me some links to here and suggested upgrading my BT through custom romage to help with the poor connection a lot of people have with BT headsets and T650s.

I've read all the posts and seen a few about BT talking about how the only reason people upgrade is for car kits. I'd like to see though if this would help my connection, as I have nothing else to try. So, the question is where do I get the files for the upgraded BT?

Thanks for you help. Jamesgangut, your howtos are great and I very quickly and easily understood how to customize and delete unnecessary progs from my rom.
    i am in china ,i just bought a sprint treo650,and it can not make calls now.i need the lastest cdma treo650 rom,who has one,please help me.thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WartaAIDS View Post
    Thanks to all for your clarifications. I'm slowly plucking up courage to make some changes.

I currently have the APR version, which I have upgraded to v1.20 using the Palm updater. Does this suggest that I should change the token to LAP, and re-update using the LAP v1.20 updater before doing any customization, in order to get rid of all the Chinese language stuff?

Ok, first off, I know I'm probably a couple months late to be doing this, what with the 700 out and all. But, I just got myself a 650, after using the 600 for 2 years, so I'm excited! Unfortunately, this seems to be way out of my head so I need all the help I can get. Here goes.

I posted the quote above because the unit I got is a 1.13-APR. I just downloaded the Palm updater 1.20-APR and updated my phone. Now, I would like to have as much space as possible so I wanted to get rid of the APR version and move to the LAP or the ENA version. I used the ROMtool, changed the token from APR to LAP, then attempted to re-update my phone using the Palm updater 1.20-LAP. I tried it like 5 times, everytime getting the error "detected different partition..." then ended with a "error updating ROM". In exasperation, I changed the token back to APR and re-updated with the 1.20-APR. After that, I downloaded the ROM files into a directory and proceeded to remove the files listed in the 1st post of this thread, while exchanging the fat32 and smart messaging files. I then uploaded everything back to the phone, hard-restarted, then synched back everything.

Good news: My 650 still works. All the unwanted files are gone (versamail, tutorial, tips, worldclock, realplayer).

Bad news: I still have 1.20-APR, and my available RAM seems to have gotten even smaller. Before I flashed the phone, my free space looked something like 20mb free out of 21. After everything was done, it's 19+mb out of 20+. I don't get it. Before I uploaded the edited directory, the "wasted space" showed 1.++ mb, which means I actually saved some space right? Here's where I need help:

I wanna get rid of 1.20-APR so I can get rid of the chinese stuff (no offense) and increase the space. How do I do this, aside from changing the token in ROMtool? Could someone point me to a step by step guide? In other words, I want to be able to use LAP/ENA instead of APR. This is the post I read about it, but I don't understand the instruction:

Running an SD method w/ the Lap RomUpdaterApp.prc will get you where you want to go.

Go get the Lap Rom that James' posted here.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564
    Switch out the RomUpdaterApp.prc w/ the one that is actually for Lap.
    And then Run the Official from Palm.
    After everything is running fine, then customize the way you want it.

I've downloaded the LAP ROM, but I don't know what "switch out the RomUpdaterApp.prc w/the one that is actually for LAP" means! Where do I find this romupdaterapp.prc? How do I do the SD method? And how do I switch these? I sorely need a comprehensive walkthrough for this

Here are the programs I have loaded:
    Callfilter
    Butler
    Docs to go (word, sheet)
    filez
    keycaps 650
    texttwist
    bejeweled2
    auto buddy
    my checkbook
    profiles
    Alex dictionary
    pTunes
    converter

This is a pretty short list, and I currently have 4.3m free out of 20.8m. It's that bad

Help!!! If anyone can send me the step by step thru email, I'd be much obliged! My email is: manilenio _at_ hotmail.com.
    Last edited by manilenio; 09/17/2006 at 04:39 AM.
    Hi guys....

Are there any threds which have download links to Sprint Custom Roms so I can just snag a pre configured ROM and work from there?

I mean, I see threads about updated programs (Versamail, Blazer, Fat32, etc) and rather than dig around for everything I need I'd rather just get a ROM which has all these and then add what I want and such.....

Any info on this?

Thanks fo all the info guys, these combined threads are excellent.

T
    Anybody on here with a Rogers GSM phone tried updating their ROM and ran into any issues? I am only concerned because I see only references to Cingular phones and don't want to brick my phone by installing a custom ROM.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Ok. It's been several days since I customized my ROM. Everything's peachy. I was able to do everything I wanted: remove unneeded apps, changed APR to LAP, etc. I just wanted to share how I did it.

Before I begin, let me set the proper expectations.
    1. I'm not from the US, so my 650 is an unbranded GSM.
    2. You need to download the ROMtool. This is the best and the easiest to use.
    3. This is not a detailed walkthrough. You need to read up on how each step is done, and done right.

Steps:
    1. Backup everything. If your 650 is new and you haven't installed anything, better.
    2. Download and install the ROMtool, including the drivers.
    3. Download the official PALM updater depending on where you're from and what your 650 is (sprint, cingular, apr, lap, ena) - and update your phone. If you want to change from one region to another (ie apr to lap), download the official updater for that as well.
    4. Using the ROMtool, backup your newly updated ROM onto a folder on your pc's hardrive. Create a new folder and copy the contents onto the new folder. You delete the files you don't need on the new folder, not the original backup folder.
    5. Load it back up to your phone, reset, and you're good to go.
    6. If you want to change the s/w on your 650 from say, APR to LAP, you need to do a couple more things:
    a. change the token using the ROMtool from APR to LAP.
    b. do the SD updater method to change the partition size from APR to LAP
    c. once you've succesfully updated your 650 using the SD update method, update your phone again using the LAP official updater from PALM
    d. repeat steps from #4 to #5

That's it!!! Have fun!!! Thanks to James, berdinkerdickle.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Yes I would to get your ROM partition down in size.
    Hi James, what exactly is the benefit of reducing the size of the ROM partition?

I wanted to thank you and all the others who have pioneered all this hacking to make our phones better! I followed some of threads and modded my ROM. I removed Versamail, RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Clock, Tips and added Fat32.prc. Phone seems to be faster and has only reset itself once so far.

1. I want to move LauncherX into ROM. Which files are they? How would I do that as I already have it installed in RAM. So basically I would need to first install it in ROM and then uninstall it from RAM? Please clarify this for me.

2. Is it safe to delete the contacts application - I specifically mean the Treo app that manages contacts? I already have TakePhone installed and would rather just use this to manage my contacts - unless I am misunderstanding someabout it's functionality and if it can replace the ROM contacts app.

3. Any idea what these files are for:
    MMSTransportLib.bprc
    MMSTransportLib_deDE.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_esES.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_frFR.oprc
    MMSTransportLib_itIT.oprc

I guess I can remove the *_DE.oprc, *_esES.oprc, *_frFR.oprc and *_itIT.oprc files? And the same for all other apps?
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast