Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I could work something up.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    First get the RomTool, if you have questions start here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

Once you have been able to connect to your Treo via RomTool.

1- Download a copy of your ROM to a Directory (Look to the RomTool Step by Step for help). IE ace
    2- Copy the downloaded folder for a backup. IE ace-back
    3- Browse to ace and delete FATFS.prc
    4- Copy FAT32.prc to ace, If not downloaded get it here:http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...chmentid=10797
    5- Upload directory via RomTool (view Step by Step for RomTool for help)
    Beautiful. Many thanks for the simple step by step.

My 2GB PNY card:

FATFS = VFSMark: ~480; CardSpeed: ~425 / 300,000 / 2,016,492
    FAT32 = VFSMark: ~860; CardSpeed: ~523 / 300,000 / 1,800,000

ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 04/17/2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added card benchmark numbers.
    Guys....i just messed with my ROM and removed files from Versamail & RealPlayer. Have removed about 1.96MB worth of files and uploaded the ROM back into the Treo650.

Question: The internal free space still remains the same as my original ROM. I should gain about 1.96MB more space after removing those files right? Or am i just confused in some way Basically i used Grack ROM Tool to download, delete files then upload back to Treo650. (Added in Fat32)

Hope somebody can help explain this to me. Thanx in advance.
    Anyone in the SF Bay Area want to make a few dollars by installing this on my Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by Heelys
    Guys....i just messed with my ROM and removed files from Versamail & RealPlayer. Have removed about 1.96MB worth of files and uploaded the ROM back into the Treo650.

Question: The internal free space still remains the same as my original ROM. I should gain about 1.96MB more space after removing those files right? Or am i just confused in some way Basically i used Grack ROM Tool to download, delete files then upload back to Treo650. (Added in Fat32)

Hope somebody can help explain this to me. Thanx in advance.
    Check this site: http://www.grack.com/blog/articles/2...e-and-rom-size

You might have to read it a couple of times before it becomes clear.
    Thanx for the link jgm.....it is indeed a great article but i probably understood 50% of it only but have concluded that keeping my ROM at the current size with the increase free space should help the DBCache be more stable....or something like that

Or can somebody not explain but tell me what is best to do now
  7.    #47  
    To gain more storage you need to change the ROM partition size. That involves running an update via SD with a different version of the Romupdaterapp. There is another thread dedicated to this.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    This thread is not intended to be Yet Another Thread about customizing. This is intended for those who already know what and how they want and the tricks and tips used or any cool things they have figured out.

I would like to get some Carrier specific things here to for Cingular, Sprint etc. As I am an unlocked GSM user I don't know those setups as well.

If you are looking to start please read through these threads. They may be long but you will get the info you need to start.

Step by Step
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

RomTool
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543

Custom Roming the only way.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108580

RomUpdaterApp
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107666

** This is a use at your own risk activity **
    Ok, I think I am getting pretty good that this now.. but found a little bug in the Rom Tool..

If you download your ROM and unzip it to a directory to make modifications, then upload (the Directory) back to the phone.. You will get a ROM TOO BIG Error. It still seems to work but the Error scares the crap out of me.. must be something with the conversion and compression...

If you take that same directory and use the Convert ROM format in the Rom Tool.. you can build a new ace-palmos + MD5 and store it on a new directory. Then use that to upload to your phone. It works perfectly Every time.
    lol! that happened to me too and scared the you-know-what outta me!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    If you download your ROM and unzip it to a directory to make modifications, then upload (the Directory) back to the phone.. You will get a ROM TOO BIG Error. It still seems to work but the Error scares the crap out of me.. must be something with the conversion and compression...
    Does this happen if you don't download your existing ROM first?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Does this happen if you don't download your existing ROM first?
    Happened to me both ways. the way I got it to be happy is to Zip it back up like it creates in the beginning...
    Just updated with fs32 and now am using my 4 GB SD card. Wonderful.

Just when I get a bit cocky I realize how stupid I really am because I could not have figured this out myself.

However I am puzzled by one thing. I now have a separate DiskOnChip area called BUILTIN that contains my available memory on the phone. This is currently 12.9MB. It contains directories which are largely empty for BLAZER, Palm, Palm_DM and Photos & Videos. PALM_DM seems to be the only one populated. Not sure with what. Data files I think and they are read only.

Did I add something I shouldn't have? Or did something wrong? The phone acts normal and everything is fine including my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochands
    However I am puzzled by one thing. I now have a separate DiskOnChip area called BUILTIN that contains my available memory on the phone. This is currently 12.9MB. It contains directories which are largely empty for BLAZER, Palm, Palm_DM and Photos & Videos. PALM_DM seems to be the only one populated. Not sure with what. Data files I think and they are read only.

Did I add something I shouldn't have? Or did something wrong? The phone acts normal and everything is fine including my SD card.
    I have that area too and I have a custom Sprint rom w/fat 32. I don't think you did anything wrong.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If you take that same directory and use the Convert ROM format in the Rom Tool.. you can build a new ace-palmos + MD5 and store it on a new directory. Then use that to upload to your phone. It works perfectly Every time.
    I d/l'd my ROM to a directory. Then, I made the changes I wanted to make, using the posts above as a guide. I started up the ROMTool and selected the modified directory. It compressed the files, but I got the "ROM too big" error. Unlike the others, I couldn't proceed on. Is the only way to get the ROM uploaded to convert to a .zip + MD5 format? Or am I missing something? I certainly don't mind converting...just wondered. This is a GREAT tool and I really appreciate the effort and smarts that went into it!
    Cingular Treo 650
    FW 01.51 SW Treo650-1.b17-CNG
    Mac OSX.4.6
  15.    #55  
    Is it too big? Are you getting memory sizes that are not what you would expect?

Nope, smaller than the original. I only took stuff out, and didn't put anything in.

This am when I got to work, I converted the ROM directory to a ace-palmos.zip and loaded it up. It went fine. Rebooted and put my SD and SIM back in. Everything is working fine. I do see some extra memory when I check the memory tab in my launcher (I use Launch'em V.3.9). No more Real, Versa, and many others.

So, I don't mind an extra step. Now to decide what to do with Blazer. Is it worth transferring to the card and back into RAM? Or just leave it in ROM?

Thanks!

Roger
    Cingular Treo 650
    FW 01.51 SW Treo650-1.b17-CNG
    Mac OSX.4.6
    Hi James, mmastrac or anyone,

Please help!

Thank you for all your work and help here and sorry for my no so tech savvy question.

Have been reading and finally taking the plunk to try the RomTool. Following the Rom Tool Step by Step guide to step 7 but no luck with step 8. I can get to rainbow Bootloader screen, but my laptop doesnít show ďfind a deviceĒ (I did got the laptop show found new device on the bar, but donít know how to do the pointing to C:\RomTool/drivers part, because the hardware wizard did not show up on my laptop.) Now I don't see any sign of "found new device"

Now I have my Sprint 650 on Rainbow screen, do you have any idea how I should process further from here? I can reset anytime? Should I hard reset my device?

Thank you for any help I will get in advance.
    Last edited by greathome; 05/03/2006 at 11:31 PM.
  18.    #58  
    <p>First you can just reset.

As far as the driver when it is plugged in do you see an unknown device in the Device Manager? If so just update the drivers.</p>

Thanks James.

No matter what I do, I just canít get the computer to recognize the Treo as a new device. I wonder if the hotsync cable is the problem. But the USB hotsync cable is working properly when I use it to hotsync or sync programs to my SD card. I am frustrated and donít know what to do.

Do you have more suggestion what I should do next to make it work?

Thank you in advance.

BTW, I manually install the HTC USB Sync and updated the drivers. I donít know where I messed up things.
    I know this seems silly...But when you say UPDATED the Drivers... Did you load the actual Treo drivers for specifically accessing the internals? It will never see it if you do not..

the Drivers for Hotsync are not enough..
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast