Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    For myself,
    I just took one of james' SD installable customs that was smaller than 7.1,
    clicked into the folders until I got to the RomUpdaterApp.prc, and replaced it with the 7.1 Partit, and it ran great. No Probs!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpspringer
    This mus be a stupid Question, because no one else has asked it. I've been running your Cust 1 ROM for about 10 days. I've take out the Datebook and ToDo files and am looking at some others.

Is it stupidity or wishful thinking... to think that I can use the above file (7_1 ROM.zip) with my current ace-palmos and md5 files to do a card install and get the 7.1 partition?

As of now I'm down to 5.4MB ROM with an 8.4 Partition.
    And yes, if you take one of James Customs and just replace the three files (ace-palmos, md5, and RomUpdater) it should run fine.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hpspringer
    This mus be a stupid Question, because no one else has asked it. I've been running your Cust 1 ROM for about 10 days. I've take out the Datebook and ToDo files and am looking at some others.

Is it stupidity or wishful thinking... to think that I can use the above file (7_1 ROM.zip) with my current ace-palmos and md5 files to do a card install and get the 7.1 partition?

As of now I'm down to 5.4MB ROM with an 8.4 Partition.
    That's exactly what it is for. Just add your Ace files to the ROM dir.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Grabbed this from Poor Tony’s Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    ...clip...

- If you use the SD card method, make sure you always use the same ace-ipl-cvt2, ace-spl, ace-tpl, ace-htc-tpl, etc.. Basically all the other SD update files besides ace-palmos.zip. (IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL) and RomUpdaterApp files *every time*. Your chances of permabricking your phone will be much lower if these items do not need to be updated.

...clip...
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    That's exactly what it is for. Just add your Ace files to the ROM dir.
    You folks are ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

You have taken such a formidable task and simplified to the point that ALMOST any Treo owner can customize their setup, that is if they take the time to read first.

A tremendous THANKS to you

mmastrac, jamesgangut, berdinkerdickle
    , and all of the other who participated in this developement.
  6.    #26  
    If you want to go back from fat32 here is the fatfs.prc
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Yeah good catch. Fixing it right now.
    I'm sorry, but I am confused about this part of thread. Does this mean we should keep the "Digitizer" file that ends with deDE? Or can we get rid of this as well?
  8.    #28  
    digitizer dede can be removed. That post had to do with a file that had digitizer and not system. The download it good now.

9.    #29  
    First get the RomTool, if you have questions start here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

Once you have been able to connect to your Treo via RomTool.

1- Download a copy of your ROM to a Directory (Look to the RomTool Step by Step for help). IE ace
    2- Copy the downloaded folder for a backup. IE ace-back
    3- Browse to ace and delete FATFS.prc
    4- Copy FAT32.prc to ace, If not downloaded get it here:http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...chmentid=10797
    5- Upload directory via RomTool (view Step by Step for RomTool for help)

10.    #30  
    Due to a few that have had trouble I am posting a link to the exact SD updater I use to convert our inhouse Cingular branded Treo's into ENA versions with the 7.1MB ROM partition. This will update all tokens and firmware. From here you can modify using the ROM Tool to your hearts content.

Link:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/17163992...NG_to_ENA.html

This is for "unbranding" not "unlocking". Unbranding allows you to use the generic version of a Treo ROM. For instance you have a Cingular Treo and you want to run the latest 1.20 ENA version.

There are a couple of options to do this.

The first is to modify the Tokens that cause the updaters not to work. These tokens are revn(ex. 1.20) and crnm(ex. ENA). The RomTool allows you to change these tokens. Once changed to match you can then run the desired updater. Example: You have 1.17-CNG, you want 1.20-ENA. If you change the token values from 1.17 to 1.20 and CNG to ENA, you can then run the 1.20 updater. This is the way I recommend.

Another option is to run a custom ROM already put together for the version you want. These do not check versions.

Last option is to run one of Palm's updaters that doesn't check, 1.23 version (I believe).
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 08/02/2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Updated Link

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    To remove Get Good and Xpress Mail remove the following:

GetGood.prc
    GetMail.prc

You can then remove the VersaMail files as listed.
    OK If I need to keep Good, do I need to keep VersaMail as well?
  12.    #32  
    Extracting a specific ROM from Palm updater.

- Start Treo updater. Get to the point it asks you to hotsync.
    - Browse to your \Palm or \PalmOne folder.
    - Copy the Treo Updater folder to [Desktop] or location of your choice. You can now close the Palm updater.
    - Run RomTool, Choose the Convert ROM Format tab.
    - [Select]-> ROM Zip (.pdb format) enter or browse to location you copied.
    - Setup your Output ROM for Directory, Create directory (if not exist), then [Export].

The first is to modify the Tokens that cause the updaters not to work. These tokens are revn(ex. 1.20) and crnm(ex. ENA). The RomTool allows you to change these tokens. Once changed to match you can then run the desired updater. Example: You have 1.17-CNG, you want 1.20-ENA. If you change the token values from 1.17 to 1.20 and CNG to ENA, you can then run the 1.20 updater. This is the way I recommend.
    If I follow this approach, will the 1.20 updater update my Cingular-branded Treo's firmware to 1.71 as well as the software (to 1.20)? Or will this only make it update the software to 1.20, and I'm stuck with Cingular-only firmware updates?

Also, if I use the token editor to manually change the revn token to "1.20" and the crnm token to "ENA" - is there any way after running the updater to confirm that it was successful? I'm assuming that changing these tokens will change what is displayed as the Software version in the Phone Info screen, correct (which is what I would normally use to verify the update)?
  14.    #34  
    When you run the Palm updater it will upgrade both the Firmware and software. This is one of the main reasons I recommend running the Palm updater. To verify you will see the Cingular stuff gone. Firmware will also display different in Phone Info.

When you run the Palm updater it will upgrade both the Firmware and software. This is one of the main reasons I recommend running the Palm updater. To verify you will see the Cingular stuff gone. Firmware will also display different in Phone Info.
    Thanks to all for your clarifications. I'm slowly plucking up courage to make some changes.

I currently have the APR version, which I have upgraded to v1.20 using the Palm updater. Does this suggest that I should change the token to LAP, and re-update using the LAP v1.20 updater before doing any customization, in order to get rid of all the Chinese language stuff?
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
  16.    #36  
    Yes I would to get your ROM partition down in size.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hello. I'm a new Treo 650 owner and have a couple of quick questions in relation to custom roms, etc. if you guys don't mind?

1.) Can someone point me to a good read, or please explain to me what the advantages would be to loading apps to the ROM area, rather than RAM?

2.) When apps are loaded in ROM instead of RAM, does it take less time for the phone to boot?

3.) Do the apps load faster?

4.) When you load a .PRC to the ROM area that creates .PDB files (ie. ZLauncher) - where do you load the .PDB file to? Do you just load the .PRC to the ROM, upload the new ROM to the phone, and then use HotSync to install the .PDB files?

5.) Is there any way to adjust the ROM partiiton size without using an SD card? I haven't picked one up yet...

5(a). Can someone point me to a good read on how to properly adjust the partition size?

I've been playing around with custom ROMS for a few days, teaching myself how to do it. I have added/removed alot of stuff and it seems that the phone loses alot of stability as soon as I load apps to the ROM side. This is the main reason for these questions...
    What I mean, is that if I go through and rip out all the unneeded stuff and load that downsized ROM to the phone, everything is fine... but as soon as I load an app to the ROM side and upload the image to the phone it starts getting buggy, like random resets, etc...
    So, I think that if the pros on loading apps to the ROM side don't outweigh the cons, I would rather create a smaller ROM image, adjust the partition size, and load everything via hotsync... any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for helping out this Treo_n00b!! =)
    this may be a stupid question but can a sprint treo be unbranded?
  19.    #39  
    Treo_Robb

It is better to remove apps from ROM. The only apps I put in ROM are apps I always want there. Not always there after a hard reset, but always running on my Treo. Ex. LauncherX. I add things that add stability not take it away. It is better to be smaller.

As far as partition sizes. right now you can choose one of the different sizes avaliable, it is not configurable. You do have to use the SD updater.

Hey James,
    How about a 'How to Get Your Treo Going Again,' Things to Try when someones Treo goes Dead.
    Maybe even call It "If Your Treo Quits, or Dies, or Seems Dead, or Loops, or Something"
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast