1.    #1  
    I ordered a 2gb SD memory card, and received it today. I went to my laptop and wanted to transfer some movies onto it to watch on my Treo 700. It asked to format the disk, so when I click yes, The capacity read 3.83gb!!!! I tried to format but was unsuccesful. It said windows could not format the drive. The card says 2.0 gb on it, but I get another capacity on the formatting. I called PNY, and they didn't understand how a 2gb card had the capacity of a 4gb, and they said I may have gotten a copy from the factory that has not been released yet.... How do I fix this, or is it even possible? I would LOVE to get a 4gb card for the price of a 2GB, but can't get the thing formatted!!!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
    Have you tried formating it in your Treo 700W? I have always formatted my cards with the Treo upon receipt. Don't know why -- just this "feeling" they will "like" each other better that way. Now there is two techie words for ya!

Not sure why Windows and the card reader are balking on this. Did you select Format with FAT32? If it is a 4GB card -- it needs to be formatted with FAT32.

Of course -- I didn't recommend any of this if you hose the card.

Any experts lurking out there?
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/23/2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Don't know why -- just this "feeling" they will "like" each other better that way.
    lol ... whew ... ok there is no magic here, you just have to attempt to format the card elsewhere, or attempt to format other cards in your reader, and see if the problem follows the card, or if it follows the reader (in this case your laptop)
    Expert Arrived!
  5.    #5  
    I think the problem lies with the card being labeled a 2gb card, and maybe really being a 4gb? How do you format on the phone? I will try anything right about now... I even did a Run> format> etc.....it shows a 4gb capacity but when I try to open the drive, it asks to be formatted again, and it just wont complete the command.
    Quote Originally Posted by aferm
    I think the problem lies with the card being labeled a 2gb card, and maybe really being a 4gb? How do you format on the phone? I will try anything right about now... I even did a Run> format> etc.....it shows a 4gb capacity but when I try to open the drive, it asks to be formatted again, and it just wont complete the command.

Maybe theBlaze74 will stop back. He has a 700W. I have a 650 with the PalmOS. On the 650 you select the Card Info Icon, then menu, then format card. I am sure it is different on the 700W.
  7.    #7  
    Thank You Perry...appreciate the help; I'll wait to hear from someone with a 700..hope it works...
    I see that Blaze went off line, I know we do not like cross posting here -- but in this case -- maybe asking in the 700W forum would be okay. More W folks there.

Cheers, Perry.
    No, im back. Do you have resco explorer? If not, you will need to look for a 3rd party app to format the card in your treo. I dont know why its not included in WM5 Explorer.
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 03/23/2006 at 05:05 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Blaze.... I tried what you said, and I think it's my media reader on the laptop. I don't think it can handle anything over a 1gb. I went to my nephews, and on his computer I am able to open it and format it; I am even able to fix errors on the card. I can't believe that a 1 year old laptop, with blazing speed can't read the new mem cards... Thanks for all the advice, folks.....