1.    #1  
    And now, folks, a really important question, more important than GSM and ROW and megabytes.

How do you pronounce "Treo" ?

1) Tree-o, which should be spelled Trio, which would suggest that the item is 3 devices in one, when I thought it was 2, PDA and phone; or...

2) Tray-o, which rhymes with "daayyyy-o" and follows with Harry Belafonte singing, "Daylight come and me wanna go home"

I would turn this into a poll, but I don't know how.

I say "Tray-o".
    -- Josh
    Here is what others have said:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=45979

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58016

PS to do a poll, at the bottom of your first post there is a section titled "Post a Poll"
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I generally pronounce it TRAY-O because I've heard Palm representatives pronounce it that way. Also, there's an diacritical mark over the 'e' in the logo. While it's not quite accurate as far as pronunciation symbols go, it does serve to indicate the 'e' should be pronounced differently than normal
    This post sums up my feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by thppfft
    Main Entry: trio
    Pronunciation: 'trE-(")O
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural trios
    Etymology: French, from Italian, from tri- (from L)
    Date: circa 1724
    1 a : a musical composition for three voice parts or three instruments b : the secondary or episodic division of a minuet or scherzo, a march, or of various dance forms
    2 : the performers of a musical or dance trio
    3 : a group or set of three

TREO is the phonetic pronunciation of trio.
    It is a PDA, Phone, and Internet, thus "a group or set of three". That also explains the numbering e.g. 90, 180, 270, 300, 600, which are all multiples of 3.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I pronounce it as: Tray-Dizzle-Mah-Nizzle
    Look at the logo - it is trēo not tro- the line is horizontal - not angled

if it were angled and if Palm were French then it MIGHT be pronounced tray-o. However, Palm's corporate headquatrters is located in this country (Palm, Inc. Corporate Headquarters, 950 W. Maude Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94085) and should therefore utilize common US pronounciation rules.

If you look at dictionary.com and find words with double e's such as bee, reference the pronounciation code table, which indicates the phoenetic symbol as to signify a "long E" sound, as opposed to resum (rĕz' ŏo mā) which uses a "long A."

Thus, the correct pronounciation as it appears in the logo is indeed Tree-o.

This plus the implied convergence of three devices, as explained by steinbej, leads me to believe there can be only one correct pronounciation.

That being said, no matter how much you try to prove one pronounciation over another, you will always find people pronouncing things in different ways - potato/potato (pō tā' tō / pō tă' tō ). It's an old argument, and people are going to say it the way they are used to...
    I agree with kayden75...the horizontal line means a long E sound, like be or knee. I started out saying "tree-o" when I first got my 650, and then saw a Verizon commercial for the 700w and they pronounced it "tray-o". Who named this thing origanally, anyway? Let's call him up and ask him...(or her - I'm not being sexist.)
    Lois: I guarantee you a MAN made that commercial...

Peter: Of course a man made it Lois. It's a commercial, not a delicious Thanksgiving dinner.
    It's Trio foo, get wit' da program it's been like 18 years now. sheeeet

From Treocentral's first story: here

From Pen Computing:
    The Treo (pronounced "trio") is billed by Handspring as an all-in-one replacement for a cell phone, PDA and pager
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I like tree o.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

As I recall the moniker was suppossed to be repesntative of three devcies in one making Treo a copyrightable version of Trio (tree-oh)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    As I recall the moniker was suppossed to be repesntative of three devcies in one making Treo a copyrightable version of Trio (tree-oh)
    so phone, pda, and??
    Internet connection device

When I went to the Treo Roadshow in DC after the introduction of the 650, ALL the Palm reps referred to it as the Tree-oh. No one called it a Tray-oh.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    And then you have the jacka$$es that pronounce it "Blackberry"

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

But doesnt that give you the perfect opportunity to convert them
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

What Blackberry is that? Or... Hey, I have one of those. *Pulls out Poptart*

Actually I was in a meeting the other day and I heard someones Treo turning on.. I wonder who it was. There's 3-4 people with 650's in my area. One guy carries his in a screen-out holster.