Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will the Treo 650 charge when on USB 2.0 ? My Treo 600 did. I'm hoping this would be true for the Treo 650.....Less cords to travel with.
    Last edited by gulfwindx; 03/23/2006 at 10:31 AM.
    I did a title search on "Charge USB" and came up with this

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=Charge+USB
    Some USB ports provide power, some don't (most Dells). And the charge is very slow, but if you have a port which will provide power it will slowly charge, I think around four hours from 50%, somewhere in that range.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    umm .. all usb masters have to provide power .. the question is how much!
    I forget how it works but as I remember there are different power classes for slaves.
    Bigger problem will be that hte USB power probably goes off when the comp goes into hibernate!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phil94028
    umm .. all usb masters have to provide power .. the question is how much!
    I forget how it works but as I remember there are different power classes for slaves.
    Bigger problem will be that hte USB power probably goes off when the comp goes into hibernate!
    I have run into Dell Latitude docking stations not provide spec'ed power to their USB 2.0 ports. It's a known problem.
    I charge mine from my notebook all the time. The OEM cable doesn't provide this capability but you can buy a variety of 3rd party sync + charge cables that do. You'll find some warnings about overcharging if you search this forum but I'm careful and don't leave it charging for extended periods of time. I have both retractable and non-retractable cable versions that seem to work fine...
    Well Dell is a known problem

Hall of Shame Pain Index

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/?op=special;page=HoS

also 2.77 rating at resellerratings is abysmal

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html
    http://www.resellerratings.com/selle...ory.pl?id=1867
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I charge mine from my notebook all the time. The OEM cable doesn't provide this capability but you can buy a variety of 3rd party sync + charge cables that do. You'll find some warnings about overcharging if you search this forum but I'm careful and don't leave it charging for extended periods of time. I have both retractable and non-retractable cable versions that seem to work fine...
    Actually, the built-in cable does trickle charge - at the rate of about 1% per 15-30 mins or so. I've verified this with my own stock cable.
    Folks,

My Treo 600 and 650 have always charged off of my laptop -- in fact the charger is still in the box. You need a 3rd party cable. My last two laptops have been Acer's with USB 2.0. Charge time is about 4 hours.

Note also that when suspended the laptop still provides power to USB and will charge. When hibernating, there is no power. When travelling, I just suspend in the hotel room, and it works like a champ.

Glenn
    mmm,i think the charger does everything in less then an hour so its mighty quick- unless you leave it by the computer at night, which makes it a pain to answer it, unless you sleep with the laptop too.
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My experience is that if the battery is totally dead, it will not "trickle charge" with the hotsync/usb cable. There has to be a little bit of juice left for the battery to be charged with the hotsync/usb cable.

Make sure you turn off the phone, if possible, and any email programs to speed uup the charge processs.
    i charge mine using the OEM cable provided by Palm on my IBM Laptop all the time. I charge from 10% to 100% overnight - no problems. I also dont have over charging problems. I need to try it with the laptop suspended. That sounds too good to be true.

No worries about sleeping with the laptop since i dont sleep wiht the TREO either.
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    i charge mine using the OEM cable provided by Palm on my IBM Laptop all the time. I charge from 10% to 100% overnight - no problems. I also dont have over charging problems. I need to try it with the laptop suspended. That sounds too good to be true.

No worries about sleeping with the laptop since i dont sleep wiht the TREO either.
    Really? I have a Thinkpad, too. I used to have the 3rd party charger and I couldn't believe it. It charged as fast as my wall charger. Currently, I only have the OEM sync cable and it doesn't appear to be charging. Does the red light come on for you when you plug it into the USB port?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Really? I have a Thinkpad, too. I used to have the 3rd party charger and I couldn't believe it. It charged as fast as my wall charger. Currently, I only have the OEM sync cable and it doesn't appear to be charging. Does the red light come on for you when you plug it into the USB port?
    No red light. No indication of charging. Leave it overnight and the battery is full
    No red light. No indication of charging. Leave it overnight and the battery is full
    Yea, I tried it and it works!! However, it seems to be a lot slower than the third party cables that are advertised as 2-in-1 sync/charger cables. Have you experienced the same?

Also, is this a safe way to charge the Treo? Does it have that IC chip in it to prevent overcharging? I would think not.

But I am pleased that it does work, sort of...
    i have never tried another method from the USB. I use this method or a plug in power cord. I have been doing this for over a year with no issues. battery life is still good too.

Yea, I tried it and it works!! However, it seems to be a lot slower than the third party cables that are advertised as 2-in-1 sync/charger cables. Have you experienced the same?

Also, is this a safe way to charge the Treo? Does it have that IC chip in it to prevent overcharging? I would think not.

But I am pleased that it does work, sort of...
    i have never tried another method from the USB. I use this method or a plug in power cord. I have been doing this for over a year with no issues. battery life is still good too.
    You have to get yourself one of those third-party 2-in-1 sync/charger cables. Those rock. Before I sold my last one, it charged my Treo 650 as fast as my wall charger, which I stopped using altogether at the time because it was so convenient.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    You have to get yourself one of those third-party 2-in-1 sync/charger cables. Those rock. Before I sold my last one, it charged my Treo 650 as fast as my wall charger, which I stopped using altogether at the time because it was so convenient.
    100% agreed.

Just go out and buy a "charge-n-sync" cable. Don't be cheap - this is the optimal way to go.
    The cable that came with your 650 won't charge (at least mine doesn't)

However, I got one of these cables and it DOES charge from the USB - and it seems to be just as fast as plugging it in to the wall.

http://sewelldirect.com/zip-linqpalmt5treo650.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    The cable that came with your 650 won't charge (at least mine doesn't)

However, I got one of these cables and it DOES charge from the USB - and it seems to be just as fast as plugging it in to the wall.

http://sewelldirect.com/zip-linqpalmt5treo650.asp
    The stock cable DOES charge the 650, it just trickle charges it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast