Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    I just hard reset. Everything appears okay. The deleted apps do not appear on the unit. I guess that the ROM Tool sometimes does not fully terminate the upload operation.
    Do you really mean Hard Reset, as you only need to softreset.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    James,

Everything is great. I have successfully pared down my Verizon 1.04 ROM, added FAT32, and uploaded it to the Treo. This added 3MB to the DBCache. The system response seemed quicker after doing this. I then was successfully able to repartition the ROM partition adding 1.3MB to the available RAM. I am very happy!

Damon
    How did you repartition the ROM partition?
    Thought of the day :
  3.    #23  
    Yes, I did mean hard reset. This was to verify that the apps in ROM were indeed removed as the hard reset erases all files on the Treo and replaces them with ones from the custom ROM. There is more to it than that, but that is the short version.

There is more to it than just resizing the ROM partition, you have to shrink the size of your custom ROM to be smaller than the size of the ROM partition - otherwise it won't fit and you will get resets. The ROM partition size is hard coded in a file called RomUpdaterApp.prc. The three available ROM partition sizes are 7.1, 8.4, and 9.8MB. The sizes have been used in RomUpdaterApp files from previous GSM and CDMA software updates.

My Verizon 650 1.04 had a partition size of 8.4MB. When I deleted the files mentioned above, my custom ROM size was small enough that I could now fit the files in the 7.1MB partition. By doing this, I did two things - 1) added 1.3MB to the free RAM for storing files and 2) added ~3MB to the dbCache which can help the OS run faster (a bit) and with more stability. The 3MB figure comes from the uncompressed size of all the files that I deleted from the ROM.

Here is the ROM partition thread. Be sure to read all of the referenced threads, as well:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=romupdater
    Did not work. I verified that is in the ROM by downloading the ROM and checking.

I added syncmedia alone. I still could not sync.
    I added filesync alone. I still could not sync.
    I added filesync, syncmedia, and syszlib. Now, I could sync. I will do some more testing and figure out which combination of these three files is important.
    Syncmedia was the only one I had in my ROM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Yes, I did mean hard reset. This was to verify that the apps in ROM were indeed removed as the hard reset erases all files on the Treo and replaces them with ones from the custom ROM. There is more to it than that, but that is the short version.
    Thanks for the info.

I've not heard of anyone doing a hard reset in relationship with the New ROM Tool. Surely you could just use Fileprog to see what is in ROM without having to do a hard reset.

Yes I'm aware of the different RomUpdaterApp.prc sizes, but as you had not mentioned the fact that you had done this, using the SD method I assume, I just wanted to check the facts.

I've read most of the ROM threads both here and on TreoCentral.

It's great to have this tool now
    Thought of the day :
    My Verizon 650 1.04 had a partition size of 8.4MB. When I deleted the files mentioned above, my custom ROM size was small enough that I could now fit the files in the 7.1MB partition. By doing this, I did two things - 1) added 1.3MB to the free RAM for storing files and 2) added ~3MB to the dbCache which can help the OS run faster (a bit) and with more stability. The 3MB figure comes from the uncompressed size of all the files that I deleted from the ROM.
    BTW my treo custom ROM is about the same as yours.

I've also gained about 3mb of dbcache, which has made my Treo a lot more stable.

I ought to go for the 7.1 partition as well, but I'm not brave enough

So full marks to you for having a go
    Thought of the day :
    What carrier/version is your Treo?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

It was on Orange, but I'm now running the ENA 1.20 update
    Thought of the day :
  9.    #29  
    James, looks like you're right. The SyncMedia.prc alone was what I needed to restore Hotsyncing. Thanks, again!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    It was on Orange, but I'm now running the ENA 1.20 update
    If you are Running ENA There is a ROM out there that via SD updater will do it for you. If interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    If you are Running ENA There is a ROM out there that via SD updater will do it for you. If interested.
    I might be getting it wrong, but I don't see the point of gaining that extra few mb of Storage Heap, in my case.

Most of my apps are run off SD card, so I've got plenty of Free memory.

But by cutting down my ROM, I've got 14mb of NVFS DB Cache, which helps most with the few fussy apps, like Satnav.

So if I'm happy to run all that I can off an SD card, and that leaves plenty of room for those few apps that can not be run from a SD card, I don't really need that extra space from doing a re-partition.

Might seem a strange attitude, but I'm happy with the ROM tool, but the SD method is a bit more risky ?

Discuss
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I might be getting it wrong, but I don't see the point of gaining that extra few mb of Storage Heap, in my case.

Most of my apps are run off SD card, so I've got plenty of Free memory.

But by cutting down my ROM, I've got 14mb of NVFS DB Cache, which helps most with the few fussy apps, like Satnav.

So if I'm happy to run all that I can off an SD card, and that leaves plenty of room for those few apps that can not be run from a SD card, I don't really need that extra space from doing a re-partition.

Might seem a strange attitude, but I'm happy with the ROM tool, but the SD method is a bit more risky ?

Discuss

If you're happy no need to mess with it. I was just offering if you worried about building it. It is more risky than the RomTool. It's your Treo and I say keep how you like it. If you want something different then try to do that.

If you're happy no need to mess with it. I was just offering if you worried about building it. It is more risky than the RomTool. It's your Treo and I say keep how you like it. If you want something different then try to do that.
    Perhaps I would like to hear more

It's just that I have read the thread about building a version for the SD card method, which included having to use .JAR ( or something) files to extract the required files to add to the SD card, and I was worried that I might build it wrong and then brick my Treo.

Are you saying that I can download a prebuilt set of files, which I then only need to add to a SD card and run ?

Cheers
    Thought of the day :
    Yes on the prebuilt.

Yes on the prebuilt.
    So it avoids the T3.jar requirement.

I assume it contains a certain custom or standard ROM as well, which I can then replace with my own custom, after the partition has been done?

Could you point me in the right direct
    Thought of the day :
    it is everything minus ace-palmos.zip and ace-palmos.zip.md5. You add that then run it.

it is everything minus ace-palmos.zip and ace-palmos.zip.md5. You add that then run it.
    Ah, that's easy then, just use the ROM Tool to build the 2 ace files and off you go.

OK, I'll give it a go. Cheers
    Thought of the day :
    Here it is use the instructions from the other post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here it is use the instructions from the other post.
    Thanks

I have printed out your post#323, so when I'm at my other pc tomorrow that has the ROM Tool on it I will give it a go.
    Thought of the day :
    I'm interested if you ever got this to work for you? Jeesh, You'd think one could find the appropriate hacked ROM, just ready for you to add the apps of your choice then sync with your phone. I have a verizon 650 as well
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast