1.    #1  
    As some you you know, I have been repairing and modifying Treos for some time now. Most of the work I do is fixing the terrible Audio Jack problem in the 650.

Well, I just received a brand new Sprint Treo 650, with the new logo on the face and phone splash screen. Customer complaint? no audio (bad jack)

The first thing I noticed is that it was a hardware B... Cool! I took the phone apart and noticed:

1) a more robust audio jack

2) a "support pad" on top of the Audio Jack

3) epoxy over the solder pads

This all sounds fine and dandy... but the jack is still defective!!! and this phone is only 2 weeks old!!!

The "improved" jack is the good news... the bad news is that it is much more difficult to fix. With my super fine tipped 60 watt soldering iron set at 800 degrees, the epoxy did not budge.

I figured out a way to fix it, buy I will NOT post a how-to. I get enough people getting into trouble with the fix for hardware A... that was an easy fix compared to this one!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    was the break the same kind as the old one?

would you say the design is at fault, or does this particular break look like an anomaly?
    Do they really think that epoxying the *solder joints* will fix a problem with cold or broken joints? That's crazy.. Maybe epoxy the audio jack hardware itself to the board, that might work.

That's really bizarre.. And possibly could contaminate the solder joints anyway. I've seen plenty of Point of Insertion hardware that was secured to the board other than the solder joints itself, but never seen anything glued onto the joints.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    was the break the same kind as the old one?

would you say the design is at fault, or does this particular break look like an anomaly?
    a more robust jack, great! But joining two copper traces that are a hairs width apart would fix the problem.

In other words... better Engineering and a free fix! one that would save Palm thousands of dollars.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Do they really think that epoxying the *solder joints* will fix a problem with cold or broken joints? That's crazy.. Maybe epoxy the audio jack hardware itself to the board, that might work.

That's really bizarre.. And possibly could contaminate the solder joints anyway. I've seen plenty of Point of Insertion hardware that was secured to the board other than the solder joints itself, but never seen anything glued onto the joints.
    to clarify, the epoxy covers the solder pads but bonds the jack to the board. It is much more robust. The problem is in the jack but can be solved on the board.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    i just sent back my treo with a bad jack last week.
    i got it replaced.
    the one that broke was a version B also
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    to clarify, the epoxy covers the solder pads but bonds the jack to the board. It is much more robust. The problem is in the jack but can be solved on the board.
    Ah that makes much more sense.. IE: They blop a big glob of epoxy that covers the whole area. So if there is a failure, it's impossible to fix. (Impossible being relative here)
  8.    #8  
    i just received another phone (from the Bronx!) Hardware B Cingular Much more difficult to fix.... bigger glob!

The customer messed up the repair and I need to replace some SMT components also.
    The problem I reported earlier
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110248
    Guess what hardware B! I'll keep you informed if the problem persists
    There's always next year!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzlebutt
    The problem I reported earlier
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110248
    Guess what hardware B! I'll keep you informed if the problem persists
    Sounds good! I was able to fix the second phone, but required a different method than the first... just depends on where the glob of epoxy is.

This whole issue of the audio jack problem reeks of negligence and is worthy of a class action lawsuit.
    oh man, not another Class Action Lawsuit! What would we get, $5.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    oh man, not another Class Action Lawsuit! What would we get, $5.
    hopefully a better phone!!!

I hereby announce the availibility of my Engineering Consulting services to either Palm Inc or any interested law firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    hopefully a better phone!!!

I hereby announce the availibility of my Engineering Consulting services to either Palm Inc or any interested law firm.
    Does the new board have a newer PXA processor chip? Also, is the chip arrangement the same?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Does the new board have a newer PXA processor chip? Also, is the chip arrangement the same?
    I just took the back off and repaired the jack. Also noticed a better rear speaker. I already shipped the 2 phones out.

Not too confortable disseciting customer's phones, but if it something obvious you want me to look out for, I can.

I did take pictures of the jack...

a nice phone... I forgot to take a picture of it but I did get a ROM dump (with the new yellow splash screen)
    Attached Images Attached Images