webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > Gas Buddy application?
Gas Buddy application?

Old 03/22/2006, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone seen a application that can read and write to the GasBuddy.com website? I can see it as being very useful so I can see which stations in my area have the best prices without getting into Blazer and doing it there. Also a plus would be the ability to input gas prices on the go too. Likely not every price, but if I see one station that's outrageous or cheap, I'd like to put it in some other people can see.

I'll be surprized if nothing exists out there, with the way gas prices vary I rarely buy gas without looking up the prices in my area first.
Old 03/22/2006, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh man i never heard of gasbuddy...but i jsut checked it out and its awesome..if somoene could somehow enable our phones to read this..it would be great!!

vipa1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2006, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
kjk

InfoMan has a module that reads the data (can't update the data, though): http://arslexis.com/palm/infoman/man...ule_gas_prices

http://www.arslexis.com - software for Palm and Treo
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2006, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I access GasBuddy with Blazer. It takes a while to load but it is managable. If you create a list of favorite stations, you can also post prices fairly easily. There is talk of creating a mobile site on their forum but it's been "under development" for a very long time. $40 a year for the infoman package is a bit pricey if all you want is gas prices.

Last edited by jrfaris; 03/23/2006 at 01:28 AM.
jrfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2006, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm pondering making a form in a static page on my SD card to load into Blazer for submitting gas prices.. Like the stations I drive past every day to and from work.. If I want to submit a price, I put it in, hit submit, and it connects and does it..

If I get that done, I'll post the results here on how to do it and you all could do that if you so desire.

As for *reading* the gas prices, yeah, that's not a huge deal. I could have them emailed to the phone, or read a page that I already make for AvantGo that's minimalistic, or launch AvantGo for that matter.. But I'd really love something dedicated that doesn't require a lot of poking around on the road.
Old 03/23/2006, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

By the way, I came across what is a good read-only website to get information from gasbuddy.com.. mobGas is a Mobile Gas web application.

Sign up and login on your 'big' computer, put in your favorite zip's, make some advanced queries (Such as if you work on the North East side of time you can have a query just show stations nearby there). When done, click the Download link which sends you an SMS which just links to their website with your usernumber and such in the URL and it'll show your queries in a nice low-bandwidth fashion!

I've placed the URL in my static on-SD card homepage of course. Bookmarking it in Blazer will work of course as well, then you get get rid of the mobGas text message.

If you search by zip in the mobile application, it will also provide links for Small Map and Large Map. Would be cool if they worked right. I presume it's a Yahoo limitation, but most of the maps I looked at were very wrong, but I think it's due to the "street name" given being stuff like "Near road Blah and Blah".
Old 03/26/2006, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments.

As far as the maps are concerned, it's because of problems with the yahoo api reading the gasbuddy data (when cross streets are not provided). We make a request to yahoo with the zipcode and the street data (whatever that may be though).
So it's really a toss up as to how the map comes back.

We plan to have an option in the future to allow updating of gasbuddy prices
M2MobileGroup - Redefining your mobile world
akhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhan
Thanks for the comments.

As far as the maps are concerned, it's because of problems with the yahoo api reading the gasbuddy data (when cross streets are not provided). We make a request to yahoo with the zipcode and the street data (whatever that may be though).
So it's really a toss up as to how the map comes back.

We plan to have an option in the future to allow updating of gasbuddy prices
I meant to reply the other day, kept forgetting!

I hope you didn't think I was blaming you guys for the wacky mapping, I figured it was entirely based on the street name, which isn't an exact name, thus Yahoo was giving back bad results.

Updating of gas prices would be awesome, obviously the gasbuddy folks have no intention of going with the obvious mobile solution to gas price updates. They really should make it so anyone with a cellphone can update prices. SMS, or WAP pages, etc.

Look forward, post back in this thread if you update any!
Old 04/02/2006, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Our mobile login interface now uses cookies so once you log in you won't need to again.

Overall, how does mobGas display on Treos? It was designed and tested for the small screen of cell phones so I don't really know how it works
M2MobileGroup - Redefining your mobile world
akhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, it looks pretty good on the Treo really. The "downloaded" page, as well as the mobgas.com page. A little heavy on the graphics, I think around 350k. You might see if you can reduce the size of the mobile images.

I just filled out the survey. Look forward to seeing how the site progresses. Mobile gas lookup/submission will be nice.
Old 07/21/2006, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

I sure wish they would make an app to input data.
Just seems so natural to be able to add it as you pump, and you could update your car info into the vehicle tracking info.

----------
vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
iBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2006, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm sorry but mobgas.com doesn't seem to work fine. I think we need an app similar to Directory Assistance or something like that that syncs to the website.

Al
Old 07/21/2006, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Works here? On the main PC, you set up the account and the quick searches for zip, address, whatever.. and the mobile client you can easily hit those quick searches, or fill one in... Seems to work fine to me.

I still think it's a little heavy on graphics for a mobile site, but maybe it's lighter, it's been about a month since I looked. I only drive about 3000 miles a year, I go 5 weeks between fillups.
Old 03/09/2007, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
There is talk of creating a mobile site on their forum but it's been "under development" for a very long time.
Just updating the thread with info on getting/posting prices from mobile phones.
GasBuddy Mobile site
They also have a great feature that shows prices on a map but I haven't been able to view that on my Treo yet. A Treo application that would access this information in a graphical format would be great. Or if Tomtom could display this information, that would be a plus feature I'd pay for.
Old 03/09/2007, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

I noticed that recently, but I haven't gotten around to trying to add "Favorites" yet so I can submit gas prices.

I still think a dedicated program would be best unless it's pretty well designed in Blazer because most likely people would be using it in the car. Not advised, but you know how it is
Old 06/05/2007, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Infoman used to have the slickest Gas Price application I ever tried. In fact, the entire program was awesome. Too bad it went under.

Does anyone know what service that guy used to look up the searches?
mrmagloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2007, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
Just updating the thread with info on getting/posting prices from mobile phones.
GasBuddy Mobile site
They also have a great feature that shows prices on a map but I haven't been able to view that on my Treo yet. A Treo application that would access this information in a graphical format would be great. Or if Tomtom could display this information, that would be a plus feature I'd pay for.
It would be awesome if TomTom could display this information. For now I use Sharklinks to create an icon that takes me directly to the gasbuddy website. Makes it a bit easier while driving.

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
cash70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2007, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

How does Telenav and the Garmin GPS units display this information? I heard they tap into the credit card system and get pricing through them, from MSN Direct?

Why can't there be someway to do this without having to use a Telenav or Garmin unit? TomTom sucks for not doing this.
bananaphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2007, 09:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

gasbuddy doesn't have any results in my entire STATE...I'll just use it when I have to travel in July...
lisaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2007, 09:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaw View Post
gasbuddy doesn't have any results in my entire STATE...
Gasbuddy relies on users to input gas prices. If you would input current prices at stations along your normal commute then other users can see them and may do the same. Try priming the pump.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0