1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!!!
    I just ordered my treo 650 GSM and I need a few recommendations and possibly some clarification on Data plans. I am a former at&t customer now with cingular because of the merger. (yuck!) I have the treo 650 unlocked and I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions. (Cingular CSR's are useless for answering questions or actually helping for that matter!)

Q1. If my phone is unlocked may I switch to any carrier (say verizon or sprint) once my contract ends and still use my treo 650?

Q2. Is there any way to avoid the heavy data plan fee's that cingular charges. I just want to browse the net occasionally and grab email for my dsl yahoo account.

Q3. What are some of the must have apps for the 650?
    I've been a pocket pc guy but I'm open to whatever will make me more productive!

Q4. Is there a way to access the web for free or nearly free?

Q5. I'm really afraid of getting a $700 phone bill with all the per kb fees associated with using data plans from the carrier, does the free internet (if it exists) accumulate data fees also?

I'm so excited about this phone, but am nervous about the fees...can't ya tell?
    Q1 -- Sprint and Verizon are CDMA networks -- a GSM phone will not work there.
    Q2 -- No.
    Q3 -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079
    Q4 -- If the Treo had WiFi and you were in a hotspot. Otherwise -- No.
    Q5 -- The unlimited data plan covers all data usage -- Web and email.

Welcome to TreoCentral !!

Cheers, Perry.
    well....for question 2. I use Bluetooth to connect to the internet. Of course it's not really a smart thing to do since i must have my PC on and only then will i be able to connect to the net but the thing is, i love the idea of reading my emails on the bed and not have to sit up.....tired from work

So yah.....you can connect to the net using Bluetooth connecting to you desktop PC but you must be within 10 meters....which is fair enough for me. Again, it's not the most ideal case but Treo650 does not have Wi-Fi so that's as much as you can do for now

Welcome and congrats on the Treo650 purchase.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prazer
    Hi everyone!!!
    I just ordered my treo 650 GSM and I need a few recommendations and possibly some clarification on Data plans. I am a former at&t customer now with cingular because of the merger. (yuck!) I have the treo 650 unlocked and I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions. (Cingular CSR's are useless for answering questions or actually helping for that matter!)

Q1. If my phone is unlocked may I switch to any carrier (say verizon or sprint) once my contract ends and still use my treo 650?

Q2. Is there any way to avoid the heavy data plan fee's that cingular charges. I just want to browse the net occasionally and grab email for my dsl yahoo account.

I've been a pocket pc guy but I'm open to whatever will make me more productive!

Q5. I'm really afraid of getting a $700 phone bill with all the per kb fees associated with using data plans from the carrier, does the free internet (if it exists) accumulate data fees also?

I'm so excited about this phone, but am nervous about the fees...can't ya tell?
    You may like them again when they rename Cingular after their merger with Bellsouth. As for your questions: You can only switch to any carrier that has a GSM presence, so no. Try search for unlimited data plans from Cingular and T-Mobile. I don't know what is their current offer, but that should take care of your over usage concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by prazer

1. You can switch to T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier.....Sprint and Verizon are CDMA which would require some parts swapping and ROM loading.

2. Yes, just slect MediaNet Unlimited ($19.99/mo) from the available features page, from the link below or tell a CSR you don't need VPN and just want mediaNet like all your coworkers and friends have

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

3. Will depend on your needs. There's a six essential apps thread that has PocketTunes as the most "essential" programs....a a business owner, i don't see buying PT for my employees as essential

Look at the list here:

http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/

4. What's "nearly" ? ... $19.99 on CNG, $14.99 on Sprint + $5 for EVDO and $39.99 for Veriszon w/ voice plan

5. There are programs which track data usage such as

http://www.mobihand.com/pdabuzz/product.asp?id=543

So do the pay as you go and stop when ya want or go for the $20