Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im getting really frustrated with the instability of my treo . It restarts about every 15-30 minutes while im using it at completely random times. When I do ##377 it always says fatal exception but the application that it says caused it is always different. I tried deleting saved prefrences and that didnt work. Any advise on what would help solve this?
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
    What carrier ?
    Latest ROM ?
    What apps ?
    Which of those are memory resident ?
    Seen Stability Tips thread ?
    Does it do after hard reset ?
    I would wipe it clean back to factory and introduce software one at a time to ensure compatability. I normally do not have a problem until I get too low on memory.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    hard reset(hold down the red power button and press the reset, then release the power button once the black and grey palm logo comes up) and see if that cures it, if not then it is most likely a hardware problem....btw backup first to save anything important.....
  5.    #5  
    sprint
    latest rom 1.13b
    i've seen stability tips thread but i dont think its either zlauncher or butler causing the problem because ive had those 2 applications on my treo for months and this problem just started to occur.
    haven't tried after hard reset

is there anyway to export a list of all applications to a memo or something or do i have to write them all out?
  6.    #6  
    the strange thing about this is that i havent installed any new applications for a few weeks and just yesterday this started happening
    my Sprint Treo 650 is doing the same thing. rom v1.12
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    the strange thing about this is that i havent installed any new applications for a few weeks and just yesterday this started happening
    That's not really significant. If you had a burp, a preference file could have been fudged and if ya give some info for the questions in post 2, I may have some answers for ya.

For example:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110167

Now a whole lotta people use the referenced programs w/o issue but the problems describes, tho affecting a small number of peeps, seem to have a common thread.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    butler did it
    What is your address, which window are you going to throw it out of?

You can use Filez to export a list of your RAM then edit it to leave only the prc files. The result should be a list of all your installed apps.

I agree with jack that you may have a burp. There are several things that can cause it. The phone receiving a call or a message arriving as data is being written to a file are two possibilities. It is a nuisance but a hard reset and reinstall of all apps is probably the best way to deal with this. It is not a bad idea to do this every now and then even if you have no noticeable problems.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Exchange it for another Treo. I think you have hardware trouble. Specially since it worked well a few weeks with the same setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Exchange it for another Treo. I think you have hardware trouble. Specially since it worked well a few weeks with the same setup.
    ... yet you say a post up that it's Butler?

Really sounds like something got corrupted to me.. Maybe if he has a backup going back before the problem started happening, he can hard reset and restore that backup?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    Im getting really frustrated with the instability of my treo . It restarts about every 15-30 minutes while im using it at completely random times.
    <Waits outside window with cupped hands>
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75
    <Waits outside window with cupped hands>

LOL

Obviously, you are going to do a clean install and be on your way. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...85&postcount=8
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/22/2006 at 10:48 AM.
    you can throw it at me! my fiance now wants a treo but doesn't have the cash right now lol
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    IMHO that is exactly wrong. It is precisely because it worked well for a few weeks that it is likely NOT hardware related unless, of course, in that few weeks it was dropped or otherwise physically damaged. I'd do a hard reset and then not install ANY 3rd party apps OR any data. I know it is hard to limp along like that for even a few days, but that is the best way to be certain that the problem is or is not bad data. See how it goes for a few days and if all is well, reinstall your data ONLY. If all isn't well, exchange it for another one. Then after a few more days, install apps one at a time. My $.02.
    Before you request an exchange for your Treo, try this:

You say it is resetting every 15-30 min without fail & clearing saved_preferences does not fix.

Backup your treo (obviously) then perform a Hard Reset (wiping out everything)....
    Let the treo sit for a couple hours before you restore any apps.
    If it continues to reset, you have a bad treo. Only fix is replacement.

One other thing, if you're using an SD card, if you left it in after the hard reset, and you are still experiencing resets before you restore or reinstall apps, try removing it and then see if it continues to reset. I have heard a few people reporting that their SD card was the cause (either the card itself or the card reader)...if it's the card reader...then replace the treo.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    butler did it
    In what room and with what weapon ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    In what room and with what weapon ?
    in the airport with a treo....

Oh wait that was jack bauer not jack butler...
    Kids have so uch coler excuses than we did as kids....

instead of "the dog ate my homework" .... "I had my homework on my SD card but someone did a "jack bauer" on me and fried my card."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast