1.    #1  
    With my old Smartphone (or any mobile phone), I used to assign single or double digit "numbers" for speed dialing. With Treo650, I find I have to use some "letters" that are not used for the menu for speed dialing. I don't like to use letters while trying to avoid those used for the menu. If I'm correct, this is really dumb, not being able to do speed dialing with numbers. Or, perhaps, I didn't find a way to do it right?

If there is really no way with numbers, the next best thing may be to use voice dialing, but rather than using the included voice dialing software ($20), I wonder if there is any better and/or cheaper way to do this.

Thanks for your help, experts!
    I am pretty much a handsfree phone user and voice dial from my 650 so never really looked into speed dial ....but me thinks the easiest way to speed dial would be to create shortcuts on the phone screen and assign numbers to them
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am pretty much a handsfree phone user and voice dial from my 650 so never really looked into speed dial ....but me thinks the easiest way to speed dial would be to create shortcuts on the phone screen and assign numbers to them
    JackNayorPE, could you care to show me how?
    The manual can do much better than me.

In the Cingular manual it's on page 53. If you have a diffeernt carrier, look up "favorites" and / or "Quick Key" in the index.

Do a title search on RTFM and you will find one entitled "An answer to RTFM" or something to that effect (it's a sticky in General Chat section I believe). It ahs links for all the manuals for every Treo model.

But in short, and again I use voice prompts to make all my calls so I ain't the best one to help ya here. BTW, you do know there is a free 14 day trail for the Voice Dial software....my trial lasted 15 minutes and I bought it.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...cedialing.html

So if you do that, this next part is a waste. I gonan try and stumble thru this for you.

Anyway, from your phone screen , the one with the dial pad, look at the screen. Mine defaults to the contacts favorite and by default you should have one that says Voicemail to the right

1. Hit the down arrow on the 5 way and you should see more favorites, Default screen normally shows 4 favorites but if you show calendar events it will only show 2.

2. Use your 5 way to select a blank favorites button...you have 70. some of them are used already but you get 14 per page and 5 pages of em.

3. Hit the menu button (top right key above the envelope) snd under the Record heading select Edit Favorites Button.

4. Select Speed Dial and then put in peeps name (label), number, the quick key you wanna use and any ringtone you wanna assign.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you, JackNaylorPE.
    You seem to be everywhere in the forum...