1.    #1  
    http://clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml#news...ZZlAZFSfJisCcE

Just thot I'd pass this on .... one user's experience with eliminating unexplained resets on the Treo.

"TreoRenegrade posted the following in the forum, interesting stuff- "Butler (like ZLauncher) has been known to cause hassles on the 650. But it's weird, cause you seldom see either of these apps mentioned when you check the error code (or use Crash Pro's logging). Like you, I used Butler for only one feature (Attention Manager). With it loaded, I saw resets daily, multiple times. Ultimately, I tossed it (and ZLauncher, KoolSounds and ClipPro), and further replaced TreoGuard with Phone Tehnician. I also tossed Genius. It "seemed" ok, but then I noticed that it alone added 20kb to the savedprefs file. Instinct suggested that anything tapping the critical savedprefs file that heavily was asking for problems.

ALL resets have since completely disappeared. It's been "nuffin but peace" in my 650 valley ever since--- and it's going on 2 months now.
    "

He goes on about backing up saved prefs file with Resco Explorer so worthr eading whole link. As usual, your mileage may vary.
    I'd hope that's all very old information.. Butler, ZLauncher, and my Treo in general never crashes anymore unless I'm experimenting with new software and it is buggy.

The list of 'resident' programs in my Treo now is staggering, yet it still works fine. I'm pretty much "static" in my list of programs, so if I add something and it starts bugging, I know that it was the new program.

I'll list them for kicks.. Agendus (for the alarms), Butler, Crash, FindHack, Fonts4OS5, HandyAid, KBLightsOff, KeyGT+, LEDOff, LookAtMe, LudusW, PowerUp, PXAClocker, RLock, SnapDates, TrafficStat, TreoAlarm (probably not background just alarmed), VoiceLauncher, VolumeCare, VeriChat, using ZLauncher with Quicklaunch.

A couple of those actually are likely just notified, not 'resident'.. LudusW, TreoAlarm, not sure which else.. But anyway.
  3.    #3  
    TreoAlarm must be resident or alarms don't work....tho you may wanna drop PowerUp as TA now provides the feature or turning on radio after reset. I have CrashPro, TMP, Sharklinks, VSuite (sometimes on card), STOIC, Tracker Dog and Uninstall Manager.
    I've got Butler, ZLauncher and Treoguard running. Along with a host of other background apps. No problems at all. Resets are rare, and almost always caused by Blazer.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    I have never seen a blazer reset in 14 months.....perhaps blazer has issues only when certain other apps present ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    TreoAlarm must be resident or alarms don't work....tho you may wanna drop PowerUp as TA now provides the feature or turning on radio after reset. I have CrashPro, TMP, Sharklinks, VSuite (sometimes on card), STOIC, Tracker Dog and Uninstall Manager.
    Yep, but I meant stuff like TreoAlarm isn't running all the time, just notified by internal alarms to be woken up. It wouldn't work from the SD card, etc.

I might look at the PowerUp thing.. Right now things work okay, no complaints, but now that you mention it I think there's at least a *few* programs that can turn on the radio after a reset. Maybe Butler too.. I'll have to poke around later.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have never seen a blazer reset in 14 months.....perhaps blazer has issues only when certain other apps present ?
    Only time I see blazer reset is when I'm loading a big page, typically full of graphics.. I guess it just exceeds dbcache or something and dies.

I actually haven't seen it in a while either, but the only Treo browsing I do is an occational mobile forum which has little or no graphics.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Yep, but I meant stuff like TreoAlarm isn't running all the time, just notified by internal alarms to be woken up. It wouldn't work from the SD card, etc.

I might look at the PowerUp thing.. Right now things work okay, no complaints, but now that you mention it I think there's at least a *few* programs that can turn on the radio after a reset. Maybe Butler too.. I'll have to poke around later.
    You has PowerUp listed and it seemed that it was duplicating the function of TA, that was the only reason I brought it up...as a means of slimming down your Treo.
    Butler and some of those other apps do stuff with the LED. I have read that when 2 apps try to take control of the LED you are asking for a reset.

I use some of those apps including Butler, and can say that by limiting the use of LED alterations, you decrease the resets.

Just a couple things -

1. If you're using VeriChat, you cannot disable its use of making the LED temporarily orange when you are in a different app and a message comes in. This, I believe, has sometimes caused my T650 to reset. I put a request in with PDAApps to give an option to override this "feature" in a futire version of VeriChat to see if that decreases the resets.

2. I could not live without Butler's LED blink disable feature, and also the alter LED color if VoiceMail exists. But there is an option in the Treo's Phone app under General Preferences called "Blink green LED when in coverage," so I disabled that checkbox and then quit using Butler's LED Override feature. That seems to have reduced the frequency of resets. I still use Butler's "When voicemail outstanding" to set LED to Orange. That has not seemed to cause any additional problems, but I do get an occasional reset (though I'm not keeping track of whether I have a voicemail outstanding at the time of the reset). Again, it's more important for me to know I have a voicemail than the occasional (1-2x a week) reset, so I haven't tested this theory.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 03/24/2006 at 01:42 PM.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Hola. Here is one ZLauncher reset bug that annoys the hell outta me. Has happened with ZL 5.3 and 5.4, even after complete wipe, firmware updates, and careful reinstall of all apps.

Anywho, try this on your ZLauncher setup:
    On a Treo 650, Zlauncher on, in any view...

Hit the "A" button on your keyboard to make it highlight an application, but DO NOT use the 5 way middle button to enter/choose anything, INSTEAD:

Immediately hit your HOME button instead.

My 650 (ATT/Cing GSM) will ALWAYS reset, dammit.
    Tech support at ZZT gave me a generic answer saying they couldnt verify my resets. So like the old Dr Joke, I guess I just should avoid doing that exact sequence of step to avoid resets.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked : AT&T/Cingular
    Doesn't happen here. Hit A to go to highlight A-Lex and hit the home button.. Changed to the next category. You using 5.40?
    Hola: ZL 5.4 (aka 5.40, but officially: ZLauncher v5.4 build 060220).
    I shoulda mentioned, do that check on a freshly restarted Treo 650, BEFORE any single app has been chosen within ZLauncher, not AFTER you have already chosen any app.. Oh well, if it doesnt happen to you, then you are happier than me, because ZL crashes for me about 3-4 times a month... (but I tolerate it cuz my customized setup is suave)
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked : AT&T/Cingular
    Same.. No problem.
    All this talk about third party apps causing treo crashes is somewhat circular. Everyone seems to have their own favorite program they like to blame for crashes, but my experience is that the palm os on the 650 is just buggy. After suffering several crashes per day, I decided to do a hard reset of my phone to see how long it would take for the phone to crash in a virgin state. Sure enough, 26 hours after the hard reset the phone crashed. A ##377 command showed that some kind of memory management error in the phone app. This just convinced me to stop hunting in third party apps. Maybe our situation won't improve until the Palm OS moves to a linux core. Who knows.