1.    #1  
    Hey everyone! I was eligible for an upgrade from Verizon and decided to go with a small flip phone. I wasn't using the Treo internet as much as I thought I would and I have wi-fi everywhere I go. I still love the Treo as an organizer and plan on using it. I have swapped the ESN's already, but was still worried that my Treo might try to connect to the internet. Is there a way I can permanentley turn off the internet connection and disable the phone? I know I can turn the phone off by holding down the power buton, but everytime my Treo resets it automatically boots the phone/internet connection up. I have tried to disable the connection in Preferences, but it is locked and won't allow me to disable anything.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Hi Mike!

System>Preferences>Network> Do you see a modify box? Select it and change the name or password to something else -- if the Treo trys to connect -- it will be blocked for not giving valid data.

There may be a better way -- but I think this will work.

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Perry. I tried what you said and I get an error which says, "This network service has been pre-installed by your mobile service provider, and cannot be edited." I tried to click "modify" with the phone on/off and got this error both times. There is a red lock with the word "locked" next to the modify button.

Any other ideas?
    Mike
    It can be edited. Read the warning carefully, and click "NO"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #5  
    How would I get to this warning? All I get is the error when I click on "modify", which only gives me "ok" as a choice. Is there a way I can "unlock" the network page, so I can modify it?
    OK what am I misisng. You don't want to use internet and you don't want to use as a phone...just as a PDA. So turning the radio off and leave it off should do the trick unless you have something (PowerUp, TreoAlarm ?) telling it to turn on.
    I have Sprint phone -- and I just accidentally disabled my network connection by looking this sequence up. I believe the Munk man has Sprint, as well. I get the same sequence described by Insertion with the warning after I clicked modify.

You have Verizon -- and maybe they have that screen locked down differently than on the Sprint Treo. Any Verizon folks out there?

Okay -- I have fixed my connection. Whew!
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanmike
    How would I get to this warning? All I get is the error when I click on "modify", which only gives me "ok" as a choice. Is there a way I can "unlock" the network page, so I can modify it?
    I'm a jacka$$. For some reason I thought you were on Sprint. I just reread your first post, as well as Perrys comment about VZW. Looks like it's different. Sorry...flog away at me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Definitely a 3rd party app trying to start the phone after a soft reset.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  10.    #10  
    Yep, I am with VZW. I don't know which 3rd party application is turning my phone on after a reset. The only programs I really use are Bobs Alarm, Ringo, Pocket Tunes, Directory Assistant, Blazer and Versamail.

Any VZW people know how I can unlock my network settings so I can change the login information?

Thanks again for all of the replies!
    Mike
  11.    #11  
    Bump. I'm activating my phone tonight! Please help!
    Ringo would be my bet, or Bob's Alarm. Check for prefs in both apps.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Once you switch your ESN on the new phone the Verizon network should refuse to allow your Treo to connect. It simply shouldn't be recognized as a valid phone.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Once you switch your ESN on the new phone the Verizon network should refuse to allow your Treo to connect. It simply shouldn't be recognized as a valid phone.
    Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to be extra safe. I'm going to uninstall Ringo since it will no longer be needed.

Thanks for all of the help!
    Mike