1.    #1  
    My camera works fine if I do a hard reset on my unit back to factory specs, but as soon as I sync it, it stops working properly. It will come on but just shows a white screen (not the viewer finder) and when you press the button to take a photo, it acts like it taking a picture (you see the image freeze momentarily) but does not, nor does it make the flashing sound. Cingular says its a hardware problem but this is my 2nd unit. I think its software related since if works if I hard reset it. This is driving mr crazy. Can someone help me?
    After a hard reset, restore your PIM data. Does the camera work now? If so, install the stuff that came with the phone (like Docs 2 Go). Does the camera work now? If so, install your apps one by one, testing the camera after each one. This way you can identify the problem. If you do not know how to follow these steps, just ask.

Good luck!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #3  
    Tony thanks so much but can you please walk me through how to do this? Is this done bt tweaking settings on the Palm desktop before you sync?
    First of all, I would make a copy of my entire sync folder. It will have the same name as the hotsync name of your Treo.

Then you can hard reset. Next, rename the "Backup" folder in your hotsync folder and hotsync using your original hotsync name. You should have your PIM data back, but no programs.

When you are ready to reinstall programs, just reinstall them one at a time like you installed them the first time, testing between each install. The purpose of this is to identify the troublesome app(s).

The backup folder that you renamed will contain the data for all of your programs, in case you want to sync the data back over.

Also, when you are finished, if you want to try to restore your Treo back like it was, you can rename your hotsync folder and rename the copy you made to the original hotsync name. Then hard reset and restore your Treo using hotsync. You can try to delete the offending app(s) and see if that fixes your problem. If not, you can go through the whole thing again, but do not install the offending program this time.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #5  
    I guess what I'm confused about is that I have NO extra programs installed on this thing at all. All I did was install Palm destop off the CD that came with my Treo, then synched it. But there must be some program that installs off the CD that is conflicting. The CD I actually got with a previous Palm of a different upgrade version, which could be part of the problem, don't know. I think this new one is applications v. 5.2h, and I think the phone has version 1.17
    Quote Originally Posted by topwater elvis
    I guess what I'm confused about is that I have NO extra programs installed on this thing at all. All I did was install Palm destop off the CD that came with my Treo, then synched it. But there must be some program that installs off the CD that is conflicting. The CD I actually got with a previous Palm of a different upgrade version, which could be part of the problem, don't know. I think this new one is applications v. 5.2h, and I think the phone has version 1.17
    I gonna take you thru a proocedure that is a bit long but you can use this any time something goes fudgy on ya Treo.

1. Synch Treo for last time.
    2. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username] and copy the entire folder soemwhere else just to be safe.
    3. If your old Treo stuff is in C:\ProgramFiles\Palm install Palm Desktop application to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne
    4. Hard Reset your 650.
    5. Hotsync new 650
    6. Install ROM Update
    7. Copy the following files:

address.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\address to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\address
    memopad.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\memopad to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\memopad
    todo.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\todo to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\todo
    datebook.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\datebook to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\datebook

8. Hotsync . Try camera.... if no problems go on.
    9. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager to track your program installations.
    10. Install PowerRUN or an equivalent to move programs to card.
    11. Install Dataviz tech tool to move Docs2Go to card
    12. Install Programs from Palm CD ... one program at a time...that is one program per HotSync
    13. Try camera any problems yet...if not go on

Nos. 14-17 you may wanna keep in case you need this procedure again when you do have programs on it.

14. Go thru your programs list and rank programs from small and uncomplicated to big, heavy memory users. Any hacks or progranms that require they be installed in main memory best left to last. Again one program per Hotsync so UM can track what files go in with what program. Only reasoning here is that you can probably get away with installing 6-7 small , simple programs per day whereas something big or which ties into system calls should be left to last and be installed alone. This will better enable you to diagnose any conflicts.
    15. Install a few programs at a time making sure no camera problems have surfaced, again starting with smallest/simplest to largest/most complicated.
    16. If you can manage, any suspect problem programs save for last.
    17. If at any point problems kick up, you can easily retrace your steps with UM to find the offending program.

18. Delete the OLD C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\ directory not the new PalmOne one you just created.

If you have any doubt about the PD version get it here:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...n_desktop.html

It's version 4.1.4E which includes PD 4.1.4 w/ support for extended fields and HotSync 6.01.

The ROM/Firmware Cingular update is here:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl.../cingular.html
  7.    #7  
    I want to thank you for the very detailed response. Unfortunately, I think that operation might be a little over my head, and I still don't understand why (when I had NO extra apps installed, and had just done a hard reset), a simple sycn made the camera stop working. I'm thinking it must be some file that is getting transferred or overwritten during the Hotsync that is casusing the problem?

I really wish I could get this camera working, as I am going to Argentina next week and would really like to be able to instantly take and e-mail some photos to my office mates. The other thing this camera does which is strange, is that when in camera mode and the white screen appears (the image still does not show as before, except momentarily when you press the picture button, but then it instantly goes away again and does not store) is that when in camera mode, and you press the options key, it resets and reboots.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Is there a application I can install to analyze problems with installed items?
  8.    #8  
    Well, I finally renamed backup file and then did a hard reset. It worked! Strange. Now, I;ll try my apps. The only apps I had on there was docs to go and yellow pages. At least that's all that looks like it never made it back to me desktop.
    Don't forget to move D2G to SD card with dataviz tech tool !
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Don't forget to move D2G to SD card with dataviz tech tool !
    That's Perry's line!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."