Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650. I would like to delete photos form my handheld to clear up memory, but keep copies of the deleted photos on my computer. Is there a way to keep previously synced photos on my PC even after I've deleted them from my phone?

    syncing options for photos are: hh overwrites dt, dt overwrites hh or sync both dt & hh. To the best of my knowledge, any of these three options will result in a photo being deleted from the PC if it is deleted from the phone.

    I know I can manually copy the photo files to another folder on my computer but that's not a practical solution.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    I know I can manually copy the photo files to another folder on my computer but that's not a practical solution.
    The only other solution would be to select "Do Nothing" for the Media conduit.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    I have a Treo 650. I would like to delete photos form my handheld to clear up memory, but keep copies of the deleted photos on my computer. Is there a way to keep previously synced photos on my PC even after I've deleted them from my phone?

    syncing options for photos are: hh overwrites dt, dt overwrites hh or sync both dt & hh. To the best of my knowledge, any of these three options will result in a photo being deleted from the PC if it is deleted from the phone.

    I know I can manually copy the photo files to another folder on my computer but that's not a practical solution.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    If you delete a pic from the Treo:
    1. Synchronize will delete it from the desktop
    2. HH over DT will delete it from the desktop
    3. DT over HH will place it back on the Treo
    4. Do nothing will....do nothing - it will stay on the desktop and be absent from the Treo

    "Do nothing" is the choice for leaving things as they are.
    V > Vx > m505 > m515 > T/T > T3 > TC > 650 > 680
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js"></script>
    <a href="skype:wwgamble?call"><img src="http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/wwgamble" style="border: none;" width="150" height="60" alt="My Skype status" /></a>
  4. #4  
    You can also move your photos (or rather Copy and then Delete) using the photo browser to your card. You said you wanted to delete the pix off your Treo to free up memory, so I'm not sure if you mean, internal RAM, or card.

    To save future pictures automagically to the Card, while in the photo browser, tap the Card icon in the upper right corner. Now everything will be saved to your card, and still sync to your desktop. However, any reset will revert the save function back to RAM, and you'll have to reset the card icon again.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    I know I can manually copy the photo files to another folder on my computer but that's not a practical solution.
    It works:

    1. Copy pictures out of username folder to other place on HD
    2. Use Softock Card Export II
    3. E-mail them to yourself.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    It works:

    1. Copy pictures out of username folder to other place on HD
    Yeah, I'm a little confused. I mean, it's really none of my business, and you can do it however you want, but why isn't manually copying the photos to another location practical? You can't have more than 4 GB of photos on a memory card, and unless you're running a custom ROM w/ FAT32, you can't have more than 2 GB of photos. Copying the entire directory from your computer to another location on your computer won't take up any more space than it is now, and will only take a few seconds to a few minutes, max.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan
    Yeah, I'm a little confused. I mean, it's really none of my business, and you can do it however you want, but why isn't manually copying the photos to another location practical? You can't have more than 4 GB of photos on a memory card, and unless you're running a custom ROM w/ FAT32, you can't have more than 2 GB of photos. Copying the entire directory from your computer to another location on your computer won't take up any more space than it is now, and will only take a few seconds to a few minutes, max.
    Here is why - Say I sync daily, but I do not make daily backups of the photos I've synced. All of a sudden I have a need to take a bunch of photos with the Treo so I delete pictures from the phone to free up space. Now I have to remember to backup the photos on the PC before syncing or the pictures on the PC are gone. It's just a lot more high maintenance.

    Also, once I copy the photos to another location now they are fragmented - I can't review them all at once with the Palm Desktop and I've got Treo photos in two different locations. Not an elegant a solution.

    I wish there was some way to copy the new photos to Palm Desktop when syncing without deleting photos on the computer if they were deleted on the handheld. Something along the lines of "Handheld updates desktop" rather than HH overwrites DT.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You can also move your photos (or rather Copy and then Delete) using the photo browser to your card. You said you wanted to delete the pix off your Treo to free up memory, so I'm not sure if you mean, internal RAM, or card.

    To save future pictures automagically to the Card, while in the photo browser, tap the Card icon in the upper right corner. Now everything will be saved to your card, and still sync to your desktop. However, any reset will revert the save function back to RAM, and you'll have to reset the card icon again.
    Automatically saving pictures to SD is a good idea to free up RAM. However - Same problem when the SD card gets full. If I have to delete old pics to create room for new pics, then they will be deleted from the desktop next time I sync.

    Besides, if it resets to RAM after ever reset then this option is worthless. My Treo resets itself several times a day - changing the camera's save location after every reset is a pain in the a**.
  9. #9  
    That can be a pain. Maybe you can create a *.bat file to do the work for you. Then all you would have to do is run the batch file everytime before you sync.

    Just a thought
  10. #10  
    Ah, I understand the problem now. Alas, my understanding is no help to you. =)
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    Here is why - Say I sync daily, but I do not make daily backups of the photos I've synced. All of a sudden I have a need to take a bunch of photos with the Treo so I delete pictures from the phone to free up space. Now I have to remember to backup the photos on the PC before syncing or the pictures on the PC are gone. It's just a lot more high maintenance.
    If you have a computer, you should have a backup program like Stomp BackUpMyPC or whatever they calling it this month. Schedule an incremental backup from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\yourusername\yourphotodirectory to run every day at 7:42 pm and put in a photos directory on ya desktop. Just make sure to rename photos before they start using sam enumbers again. Then download and install Adobe Photo Album to view all at once.

    Also, once I copy the photos to another location now they are fragmented - I can't review them all at once with the Palm Desktop and I've got Treo photos in two different locations. Not an elegant a solution.
    It would be hard to classify anything associated with the 650's camera an elegant solution. Stuff I need to look at and dispose later, gets shot with the Treo, anything I need to save gets a real camera.
  12. jasonsf's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #12  
    I've found that the hotsync automatically copies the photos to C:\Documents and Settings\myprofile\My Documents\My Pictures\palmOne Photos\mytreo as an archive as well as keeping a copy in the Palm Desktop folder as a mirror of what is on the Treo. Deleting from the Treo removes them from the Palm Desktop folders but does not touch the My Pictures copy of them. It doesn't seem to be completely consistent though.

    Jason

Posting Permissions