Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.bitsnbolts.com/

2006-03-20: BackupMan v2.03 Released.

* It is recommended that all users of 2.x download and install this important update.
    * BackupMan v2 builds on the strengths of v1 and adds our customer's most often requested features as well as all new ideas such as one-touch restore and emergency backup!
    * See our product page for more details, or download the latest version here!
    * For information on upgrading from v1.x see our upgrades page .
    I'm still using 1.53. Not really wanting to pay again since it seems to work ok, but wouldn't mind upgrading to another 1.x version if there was a better/more stable one out there. Anyone know if there was a newer 1.x version that was better than 1.53 (and how do I find it)?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I upgraded. Works as advertised. There are a few (okay, a lot) of things I don't mind paying for, and security/backup programs is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    I'm still using 1.53. Not really wanting to pay again since it seems to work ok, but wouldn't mind upgrading to another 1.x version if there was a better/more stable one out there. Anyone know if there was a newer 1.x version that was better than 1.53 (and how do I find it)?
    I still using 1.53 as well. I must have been asleep at the wheel. I didn't know there was a v2.0.

I guess I skip it and go to 2.03
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    yes I hadnt been aware of the move up from 1.x either

anyway ive upgraded partly because Ive been very happy with my BUM's reliability in the past and it does have a few new features (e.g. encryption).

one feature that isnt adequately adequately explained in the minimalist within-program help file (and there's no manual anywhere I can find) is:

"differential backups"

It says " this will cause BUM to take a snapshot of your device once a day and for the rest of the day only save changes that have occured since that snapshot"

When does it make its main snapshot and its updates??? Does it save the snapshot in its list of backups? Ive been running it all day with this feature turned on, and there's no evidence of it doing anything.

Anyone have any idea of just what Bits and Bolts are talking about here?

geoff
    Go into BUM and go to Options>Schedule>On an hourly schedule>Next and make sure that the time entered in there isn't just in the nighttime, as it was for mine. I'm going to set mine to these snapshot thingies and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    http://www.bitsnbolts.com/

2006-03-20: BackupMan v2.03 Released.

Thanks!
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I just had my device do an "incremental" backup. Basically it looks like a normal backup except it is quicker (mine backed up 40 files).
  9.    #9  
    incremental should only backup files changed since last backup.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Go into BUM and go to Options>Schedule>On an hourly schedule>Next and make sure that the time entered in there isn't just in the nighttime, as it was for mine. I'm going to set mine to these snapshot thingies and see what happens.
    Thanks for that. Ive been playing with backup "after turn off device" - these incremental backups are really lightning fast, and if it were not for the probs below I might consider using this instead of OnGuard Restore (whose back up of designated progs on program exit is another option in BUM anyway).

Two problems though:

First: this option is not compatible with Keyguard Lock.

If you have chosen the rather useful BUM option of having an "Abort within 5 secs or continue automatic B-Up" screen come up before each b-up, then using the System Keyguard lock causes the b-up process to freeze at the "abort" choice screen.

If you turn off this option, then the b-up does proceed, but it then
    somehow manages to disable Keyguard Lock.

Second: Any style of backup now also switches off the always-on setting of the very useful freeware prog, AutoOff. This is even more annoying for me since I usually have my B-up scheduled for 3am, and rely on Auto-Off to keep my clock program running in the early hours as my bedside clock. This wasnt a problem in the previous version I had, so "upgrade" is perhaps overstretching the case with this release. I will have to now look around for a BUM-proof default-power-off-overide prog.

Im very confident that this will be dealt with the next version, which Im predicting will solve all these issues and more, by boldly going direct to my favourite number, 5.
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 03/22/2006 at 03:19 AM.
    I just left mine doing backups every night. If I lose a few hours of changes, oh well. I can deal. Since most of those "changes" are emails, all I have to do is check my email again and all is well.

I've used Backupman for a while now (years) and I love it. It has saved me a ton of time, effort and frustration. The single file restore feature works perfectly and helps when you screw something up (accidentally erasing things).

I've used Backupman for a while now (years) and I love it. It has saved me a ton of time, effort and frustration. The single file restore feature works perfectly and helps when you screw something up (accidentally erasing things).
    Same here. It has saved me from disaster on more than one occasion.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I just left mine doing backups every night. If I lose a few hours of changes, oh well. I can deal. Since most of those "changes" are emails, all I have to do is check my email again and all is well.

KRamsauer,

So in your opinion, is there any compelling reason to upgrade? As you are doing, I backup each night (3 am).
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    KRamsauer,

So in your opinion, is there any compelling reason to upgrade? As you are doing, I backup each night (3 am).
    TIA
    If you want encryption (which I did), it's worth it. Otherwise, I don't really see the benefit of the other features.
    If you want encryption (which I did), it's worth it. Otherwise, I don't really see the benefit of the other features.
    Tks for your opinion.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Same here, I backup each night and other than my phone resetting after it backups (which I've grown accustomed to), I have used BUM to restore a number of times. Since the "upgrade" is more cash and isn't "tested" here yet, perhaps I should wait. So, did anyone ever see/get a 1.x version newer than 1.53?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Same here, I backup each night and other than my phone resetting after it backups (which I've grown accustomed to), I have used BUM to restore a number of times. Since the "upgrade" is more cash and isn't "tested" here yet, perhaps I should wait. So, did anyone ever see/get a 1.x version newer than 1.53?
    I have 1.54. It seems to be working fine. I use it as well as BackupBuddyVFS. Lately, whenevere I need to do a restore, I have been using BackupBuddy. No particular reason except that I have been getting flawless restores with it and and awhile back I was getting errors with BackupMan. I did a restore, just for the fun of it, with BackupMan 1.54 a few minutes ago, and it did just fine. My backups are faster with BackupBuddy as well. I keep bouncing back and forth with the two.
    Redundancy.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    KRamsauer,

TIA
    Funny how so many people back up at 3am!

I've come up with a nice way to tweak the daily automated backup, that allows you to do an incredibly rapid incremental backup anytime you choose. and may provide a compelling reason to upgrade (sorry - I know yr qn was not for me).

Within the "do backup when you exit an application" option you choose only *ONE* prog, one you maybe only use only occcasionally. I chose my SMS prog, anyway some prog that you can access very easily thru a key press.

So whenevr you want to b-up the system, you just quickly enter and exit the designated prog. My quickest run of this, from hitting the SMS key to the end of the b-up and return to normal..... 5 secs.

When I originally saw that "exit program" option I thought it would do b-ups when I exited every prog, but its customizability adds a lot of possibilities.

(there is a main-menu option to force an automated b-up, but unfortunately it doesnt do an incremental one).
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff
    Within the "do backup when you exit an application" option you choose only *ONE* prog, one you maybe only use only occcasionally. I chose my SMS prog, anyway some prog that you can access very easily thru a key press.
    Neat. I didn't know that. Now I need to find a useless application that doesn't do anything else. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast