Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just bought a 2350s and TomTom Nav 5 for my trip to Europe. I arrived into Amsterdam Monday morning and hooked up the kit for a drive to Brussels and ...the damn thing kept flaking out and saying "no GPS detected" followed by a couple of seconds of 5 bar sat signal strength. I checked and I have the TomTom software set to "other Wired Nema" receiver at 4800. Should I try using TomTom Wired? There are no instructions from Seidio about this at all and they don't answer support emails...

I wrote Seidio's European contact and their support@seidioonline.com and the European contact said I'd hear from the tech guy in Houston....and I am still waiting. Thanks for the sensitivity Seidio after stranding me in Europe!

I leave for Norway today and have to drive from Oslo to Fredrikstad and it would be nice to have this piece of crap working so that I don't have to pay Hertz for a nav system.
    Last edited by hdtv4me; 03/23/2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Did you read the sticky ?

It took me 7 hours to get it set up but that was w/o the instructions. Now that I know the procedure, should be able to do in an hour even with 1.3Gigs of maps.

Seidio now sends out thoe instructions to US users over here....can't speak for Euro support.

I don't think I would attempt to use a device, and software of that size / complexity teh morning of a big trip. I have had decent success reaching Seidio here in the US by phone.... tomtom was a bit harder.

The phone number is here:

http://www.seidio-europe.com/index.a...tion=CONTACTUS

"Our customer service call center is available Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Central Time. Call 1-832-204-1118 for customer service, technical support, and any other questions you may have."

1. If installed correctly as per the sticky, always wise to soft reset (mReset) or flush cache (meminfo) before launching TT.
    2. Have at least 10 MB free when launching TT as it's gonna use 5.
    3. Make sure you have beaming on if using BT devices.
    Blaming Seido for 'stranding' you somewhere is retarded.. Did you even TRY that setup before leaving? Did you pass the UPS guy on the way out of the house? Seriously..

If you're *expecting to rely* on something, common sense says you gotta test it first.
    I thought Seidio CS sucked also but one quick phone call and I discovered they were very helpful and accommodating.......CALL!
    I'll take a phone call anyday over a series of back and forth e-mails that you might solve the problem on the 7th or 8th excange. I like to keep th tech at my beck and call till problem solved.
    Make sure that your Treo is inserted all the way down into the cradle. I had a simialr problem with my 4850 setup. It was due the loose contact with the cradle. Seidio support suggested pushing the Treo firmly into the cradle and I had no problems ever since.

P. S. Did not have a problem with US support. They called me back twice within 24 hours (after I left avoicemail and e-mail to be safe)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me
    Just bought a 2350s and TomTom Nav 5 for my trip to Europe. I arrived into Amsterdam Monday morning and hooked up the kit for a drive to Brussels and ...the damn thing kept flaking out and saying "no GPS detected" followed by a couple of seconds of 5 bar sat signal strength. I checked and I have the TomTom software set to "other Wired Nema" receiver at 4800. Should I try using TomTom Wired? There are no instructions from Seidio about this at all and they don't answer support emails...

I wrote Seidio's European contact and their support@seidioonline.com and the European contact said I'd hear from the tech guy in Houston....and I am still waiting. Thanks for the sensitivity Seidio after stranding me in Europe!

I leave for Norway today and have to drive from Oslo to Fredrikstad and it would be nice to have this piece of crap working so that I don't have to pay Hertz for a nav system.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having those problems. Our tech support folks are definitely available during the hours quoted earlier in this thread. For whatever reason, we did not receive your request for support from our Europoean site and I apologize that it didn't happen. If you have email access, please email me directly (via the address below) with a means to contact you - preferably by email. I will forward your problem to our tech support people, and I would guess we can quickly find out what the nature of your problem is. We're sorry you are unhappy with our service, but we'll try to make it right for you.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Blaming Seido for 'stranding' you somewhere is retarded.. Did you even TRY that setup before leaving? Did you pass the UPS guy on the way out of the house? Seriously..

If you're *expecting to rely* on something, common sense says you gotta test it first.
    First, my nephew has downs syndrome so your attack on me is not welcome and beyond insulting in more ways than your feeble mind probably intended. Frankly, I find your childish post condescending for someone that doesn't know the facts but then again I am pretty sure you are the type that likes to make posts like this just to seem important or get an inflated sense of self-worth while imagining all of your on-line "friends" chuckling at just how clever you are. Considering me laughing inside...really...you're a friggin' comic genius.

FWIW to the rest who tried to help, thank you. I bought it a week before the trip and it seemed to work fine at home. It flaked out after about 20 minutes of use upon arriving into AMS - just my luck. So I was driving down the E4 (I think that was the road) trying to make sense of the roadways without a map it got pretty frustrating.

Upon finally arriving at the hotel after countless wrong turns I realized that I may not have gotten it set up right. Come to think of it, there were no instructions so how would one know how to set it up? Moreover, I've read many a posts about Seidio's poor quality up here so my worst fears were that I spent this money unwisely. So I wrote the Euro Seidio and copied support@seidioonline.com and was promised a quick answer by the Euro office. I did not want to call and sit on hold at .99 cents per minute to the US for support unless I had to do it and since I was promised a prompt reply I decided to hold off on the call.

Long story short...they never bothered until I made this post and now suddenly I have received an email with some things to try....albeit I already have tried and think I found my own answer. So if I offended anyone by picking on poor Seidio (as if I am the first to do it) then I am sorry...sort of.

This thread can be deleted since it served its purpose.
    Last edited by hdtv4me; 03/21/2006 at 02:38 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having those problems. Our tech support folks are definitely available during the hours quoted earlier in this thread. For whatever reason, we did not receive your request for support from our Europoean site and I apologize that it didn't happen. If you have email access, please email me directly (via the address below) with a means to contact you - preferably by email. I will forward your problem to our tech support people, and I would guess we can quickly find out what the nature of your problem is. We're sorry you are unhappy with our service, but we'll try to make it right for you.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Thank you David. I was hoping you'd respond like that. Much appreciated and if my own work-around fails I will contact you directly.
    Thank you David. I was hoping you'd respond like that. Much appreciated and if my own work-around fails I will contact you directly.
    Please do. I'm sure we can help you out.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    SEIDO SUCKS. I dealt with them. It got better as they dealt with me, then they did not return an email that they should have. I will continue to flame them for their poor quality products. TREOCENTRAL should consider not selling their poor quality products.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGallant
    SEIDO SUCKS. I dealt with them. It got better as they dealt with me, then they did not return an email that they should have. I will continue to flame them for their poor quality products. TREOCENTRAL should consider not selling their poor quality products.
    I don't often respond to these attacks, but I keep copies of all correspondence. The last correspondence I received from you was answered. I would like to share that with all. If you'll point out the part that was ignored, I'll do my best to rectify that. If I'm misrepresenting anything, it is totally unintentional. This is a cut and paste of my last message to you and I have no other following it:

Hi Dave,

First of all, let me apologize to you for the response you received from our support tech - at the very least respectful and informative feedback is what you should have received in response to same. Honestly, our family of holsters have been the flagship products of our company. We receive very few complaints of unreliability (I'm not saying NONE), and yours is the first report I've heard that a holster caused a keyboard lockup. We've always conceded that yes, if you put your naked Treo in a holster of almost any kind, there will be some cosmetic damage. To some, the security of the phone in the holster is of primary importance and scratches are not of the utmost concern because they are viewed as everyday working devices. I'm a Treo owner and have had my Treo in a skin case almost since I purchased it. I looked at all holster alternatives and didn't see one that met up to my desires. I have resorted to keeping it in a skin and using our horizontal leather case made to accommodate skinned Treos. As I use a Bluetooth headset, I don't worry about having to take it out to answer calls (which is more frequent in my case than originating them). I feel secure when taking my Treo out of the case that it still remains protected, and I have total accessibility to all buttons. I've never had a problem with this setup and it's going on 8 months that I've used it. We appreciate the fact that everyone has different priorities and desires and we try to accommodate the majority as best we can, while gratefully accepting constructive criticism and feedback - which helps us immensely. Without catering to people's needs, we have no business. I appreciate your comments and promise you that they will be shared with the president of the company as well as our product development team. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed list of what you see as problems. Please feel free to contact me for anything that I can do to make your Treo use more enjoyable and/or productive.

Sincerely,

David Silver

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 11:22 AM
    To: davidsilver@seidio.com
    Subject: Treo 650 Holster.

Hello. My name is David Gallant, but you probably know of me as “DavidGallant” from TREOCENTRAL. I recently posted about your Treo 650 Holster, with LCD facing inward. I feel that your product caused my keyboard to lock up. Three friends of mine who own Treo’s (all who use your competator’s cases) have not had this problem. I take great pride in keeping my Treo free from bumps, falls, scratch’s, and most importantly, rarely let other people use my phone. With that said, this is my opinion of the case.

It scratches the phone in 3 places to the point where is it unappealing.
    The center of the 5 way button was worn down from the material used in padding your device.
    (My complaint) The pressure put on my keyboard/5 way button from your case causes it to not perform as it should(the down arrow and center have no spring, and the bottom row of keys(caps,zero,spacebar,alt,caps) are not moveable.
    When I proposed this to your customer support tech, he immediately said that this was not the case. I disagree with that, but did not post the email on TREOCENTRAL to respect your request that it not be shared. I am now looking to replace this case, since I have been storing my Treo in my pocket for the past 2 weeks.

Thank you for your time, and I truly respect that you are going out of your way to solve the problem.

DavidGallant

Where exactly is the lack of response you're talking about? Did you make a further request that wasn't answered? If so, I apologize and will take responsibility for it. If there is something else I can do for you, please let me know that as well and I'll see what we can work out.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    I have had great luck with Seidio.
    This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or
    otherwise protected from disclosure. It is solely intended for the person(s)
    named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, use,
    disclosure, copying or distribution of all or parts of this e-mail or
    associated attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
    recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
    or by telephone and delete this e-mail and any attachments permanently from
    your system.
    VERY UNPROFESSIONAL David. This just proves how low on the totem pole your company is. You just voided your own warranty. I will not waste any more time on Seidio, and obviously any more money.
    Who should I 'inform' that a copy of this email has been distributed??????
    All I can say is I have contacted Seidio twice, they answered my questions promptly and courteously ... in fact I couldn't get the techs to STOP calling me Mr. Naylor....just so everyone knows Mr. Naylor is my father's name. My name is Jack. When one problem I had was software related, they gave me the direct line to the vendor and the vendor took 48 hours to respond and I had solved the problem by then. I sent the solution to Dave Silver for use by his techs and Dave posted it here the following day.

Frankly I wouldn't buy any of those Seidio cable "reel" based products as in that price range I don't think you can expect the components to perform reliably. I can't say that anyone would be impressed by Seidio's white box packaging but I have to say, I'd rather pay $10-$15 less than have stuff arrive in pretty boxes. All the PC components I buy are white box.

For my Seidio purchases, so far anyway, I'd have to say I got what I paid for or better and the company has, again to date, been responsive and successful in solving any issues I have encountered.
    I have had mixed result from them, for the most part good but the last purchase got screwed up and in the end I never received the part I paid for. The purchase was small and really not worth the cost and effort to pursue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    I have had mixed result from them, for the most part good but the last purchase got screwed up and in the end I never received the part I paid for. The purchase was small and really not worth the cost and effort to pursue.
    If you'll email me either your order number or the details, I'll make sure we correct the above. If you want to talk to me, just call our customer service department at: 832-204-1118 and ask to speak to David Silver.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  18.    #18  
    David

Just an update on my situation FWIW. Your tech told me to use the "other NEMA at 4800" setting but I found the dock to be working very well by just setting it to the "TomTom wired" GPS setting. So I just drove from Glasgow to Edinburgh and it worked terrific!
    David

Just an update on my situation FWIW. Your tech told me to use the "other NEMA at 4800" setting but I found the dock to be working very well by just setting it to the "TomTom wired" GPS setting. So I just drove from Glasgow to Edinburgh and it worked terrific!
    Great! Thanks for sharing your workaround. If you have any further problems, please let me know. Any details you'd care to share about your journey overall would be nice to hear, but that "might" be considered to be off-topic.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Great! Thanks for sharing your workaround. If you have any further problems, please let me know. Any details you'd care to share about your journey overall would be nice to hear, but that "might" be considered to be off-topic.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Hi David.

OK so I finally figured this whole thing out. There is likely a bug in TomTom but frankly this is also information you ought to consider adding to a quickstart guide or something for your customers.

Here is the deal - basically if you remove the Treo from the cradle while TomTom is running (to get out of the car for instance at a rest stop) and then redock it TomTom initially resumes just fine. However, the software starts doing that "GPS Device Not Found" message every few seconds making the whole lot unuseable. The solution is simple enough: simply quit TomTom before docking and don't start TomTom until it is docked. Once I sorted that out the thing worked flawlessly (well aside from TomTom's usual outdated POI database).

So in short, my apologies for blaming Seidio for a bum dock - albeit I still think you need to provide some semblence of documentation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast