Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Well I've had my Verizon 650 for several months now and I'm debating switching back to a cell phone. I have a Tungsten C that I was just starting to use before I got the Treo. I see a lot of posts about all you users really utilizing your 650 to its fullest. I don't think I'm doing the same, so I thought I should go back to a cell phone. The reception on my 650 is pretty good, but I did have to go through 3 of them to get that. I don't use the Treo for e-mail or internet since I am constantly at my computer (video production editor) and if needed, my Tungsten has wi-fi. I guess my question is, what should I be doing with the Treo that would justify it over my Tungsten C and a new cell phone? It's a great device, but it might be wasted on me. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.
    OK, the question is a long one.Do you want to watch movies, do you want an MP3 player, do you want shoutcast radio, do you want to edit or produce documents, do you want to have a modem, do you want...Tell us the most important thing your phone needs to do and we'll tell you if your treo can do it.
    "Cable Modem? DSL? click http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7346966394232063929 to understand quake "
    pvpjohn, I was thinking the same thing recently. I upgraded last May from a Tungsten C and VZW Moto V710. I am increasingly unimpressed with the Treo 650. I thought convergence would be great, but what I have is an OK, frequently unstable PDA and a fair phone with only fair signal strength, and poor volume. I'm on my second T650. I don't use it for email or web as I'm usually near a desktop or my laptop. I use an iPod for music.

I still have the Tungsten C--I saved it just in case I had these thoughts....the Moto E815 or RAZR are looking more appealing every day.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Thanks for replying guys. Well, I use an Ipod for mp3, so that's not needed. I basically wanted to merge phone and PDA, but I find myself only using Agendus Pro and the phone on my Treo. It's cool to have nice size pictures and names appear when I get calls, but I'm sure (without researching further) that other Verizon phones must offer that as well. Like I said, its a nice device, but maybe I'm just not using it for what it's built for. Maybe you can list things you do with your Treo and I'll get some ideas as to what I'm missing. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvpjohn
    I guess my question is, what should I be doing with the Treo that would justify it over my Tungsten C [an iPod] and a new cell phone? It's a great device, but it might be wasted on me. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.
    Seems simple question .... carry 3 devices or carry 1 ?

I bought the Treo so I could stop packing:

Cellphone
    PDA
    IPod
    Laptop
    Travel Alarm
    Voice Recorder
    Camera
    Tide Tables
    GPS Unit
    GameBoy
    Pocket Calculator
    Reference Books
    Leisure Reading material
    Equipment Catalogs
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Seems simple question .... carry 3 devices or carry 1 ?

I bought the Treo so I could stop packing:

Cellphone
    PDA
    IPod
    Laptop
    Travel Alarm
    Voice Recorder
    Camera
    Tide Tables
    GPS Unit
    GameBoy
    Pocket Calculator
    Reference Books
    Leisure Reading material
    Equipment Catalogs
    Well at least I know im not the only one using the treo as a laptop replacement and such. I got rid of my iPod nano because of the Treo (700w)... one device rocks unless you loose it, I still want to find a good security program... like 10 wrong password tries and it hard resets. Thats the only thing I miss from my BB; knowing that if I lost the thing, the data would be safe.
    If you don't use the treo for email, aim, music player, the things that make it a great device;get a flip phone. In my opinion, internet and email are musts for a treo. It is not worth it, if you do not use the treo as a mini computer. What your needs are, you can use a simple phone that is not bulky or cumbersome. I say sell it and get some money for it.
    I wouldn't limit it to those as I only use one of your 3 main reasons. My thoughts on AIM are "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes" than have peeps pestering me all the time (how could I get any work done ?) and I don't use the Treo for music as the sound quality on any pocket sized device is unacceptable for my tastes ..... but that still leaves a ton of uses. If you use any two of the devices listed above, the Treo saves you carrying weight. Once you get to 3, 4, 5 , it's a no brainer. And most often I have only one pocket .... that leaves no room for even a phone and PDA
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    For me it is the convergence. I VERY rarely use internet or check email as I am usually near a computer. I do however occassionaly listen to mp3's or watch movies. I MUST have my calendar and contacts everywhere I go. SOmetimes I review powerpoint presentations or read books. Yes.. a standard PDA could do all of that, I just don't want to carry it and phone everywhere. My 650 call quality is just about as good as every cell phone I have had, which is to say, not great. It is just as stable/unstable as any other palm I have had that I tweak with lots of 3rd party stuff to my liking. Yes, there is a bit of compromise, smaller screen than a palm, larger than a standard phone, but the convergence is everything for me.
    If you just want a phone, get one. About any "freebie" phone will give you equal if not better voice quality. They'll still dial a phone number, and accept calls.

Bottom line is it's all about you. Just because everyone one crams as much stuff on their Treo doesn't mean you have to. You're not happy, get a flip phone. Who's gonna care?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Treo 650
    Best PDA I have ever had.

Treo 700P
    Will make it even better.

My 24/7 phone, email, Internet, PDA, iPod, camera, dictonary, calculator, news, weather, sports, reference, 411, clock, stopwatch, timer, multimedia, whatever device.

Cheers, Perry.
    Ultimately, the decision is personal.

The Treo (Cingular/TMo) never worked as well as I flip phone (vzw) ever did. Connection issues asside...

The treo allowed me to have all the connectivity I need for work related emergencies. It isn't the easiest, but it works ok. I carry my headset adaptor around, but I rarely (infact, don't remember if ever) listen to music.

I have all my contacts with, but I rather not talk to people most of the time.

I have all my calendar with, but I rather not be working all day.

But, it is there, for emergencies and well, even tho I don't want to, I do work all day...
    Thanks for replying guys. Well, I use an Ipod for mp3, so that's not needed. I basically wanted to merge phone and PDA, but I find myself only using Agendus Pro and the phone on my Treo. It's cool to have nice size pictures and names appear when I get calls, but I'm sure (without researching further) that other Verizon phones must offer that as well. Like I said, its a nice device, but maybe I'm just not using it for what it's built for. Maybe you can list things you do with your Treo and I'll get some ideas as to what I'm missing. Thanks!
    New Treo 650 owner here. Question, why do people use Agendus Pro, if the phone already comes with all that.. the calendar, email, contacts.. etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by troostj
    New Treo 650 owner here. Question, why do people use Agendus Pro, if the phone already comes with all that.. the calendar, email, contacts.. etc.?
    I am happy with the standard apps -- so I have never researced the additional benefits of Agendus Pro, but others have and the benefits they see are apparently worth the $$ or the product would go away.

Check Out their Web site -- or maybe a free trial, if they have one.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I am happy with the standard apps -- so I have never researced the additional benefits of Agendus Pro, but others have and the benefits they see are apparently worth the $$ or the product would go away.

Check Out their Web site -- or maybe a free trial, if they have one.

Cheers, Perry.
    ...and here is the site. They do have a free trial.

http://www.iambic.com/agenduspro/palmos/
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I actually have two phones, I have to for two reasons, I use such a crazy amount of data on my Treo that the orange data light almost never goes off, and I text so much I got a Treo and a 9800 from VZW. My Treo is just about everything for me at this point.

I surf the web and check email and chat with all my friends on AOL, ICQ,MSN,Yahoo. I live on and payed for Chatter and Verichat, as well as Xiino. As its already been posted in this thread at somepoint about the 650 being the best PDA I have ever owned and the 700p, will go so far as almost making my laptop useless.

Though the laptop does play Ocarina of Time, I don't think its quite usless yet,

The other thing that makes my 650 like a part of my own body is I read constatly, and we all know that its a pain to carry paper back books everywhere you go. So in comes my Treo, now I have been doing this since the Kyocera 6035 and its amazing 8 Megs of ram and only like 20 books at once. With a 1 gig card in my Treo I at any one time have over 100 books with me, and sometimes more, and always more ready to go on the computer. If I finish a book, I start a new one with out have to search for it in my book shelf or without having to go to a book store or library. Some are free and some you pay for, but either way, its a feature that I can't live without.

That sums up what I do with my Treo in words, but words can never really come close to showing the value that my Treo has in my life, nor has it come close to showing its real potential in my opinion, but it does make my life easier.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by troostj
    The Palm apps are akin to what you get with Windows.....You get Wordpad and NotePad for example but a full featured WP provides more functionality. Whiel the apps that come with the Treo are closer in features to the aftermarket alternatives than say the WordPad example given, 3rd party programs offer additional functionality.

The downside of course is that when youa dd to many features and teh program grabs too much resources, especially if you have several programs like this, stability may suffer.

Personally, for example, I use TMP (Time Manager Pad) to replace the default calendar application. It's adds a lot of functionality for a small footprint and a small price. Agendus on the othe rhand provides far more than what I want at far mor than I am willing to pay. For another peep, who actually get use out of those additional features that AP offers, the price is wellw orth it.

Same for replacing versamail with Chattermail, RealPalyer with PocketTunes and so on. If the feature set a program adds provides value, it should be worthwhiel to enhance your feature set.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Well I've had my Verizon 650 for several months now and I'm debating switching back to a cell phone. I have a Tungsten C that I was just starting to use before I got the Treo. I see a lot of posts about all you users really utilizing your 650 to its fullest. I don't think I'm doing the same, so I thought I should go back to a cell phone. The reception on my 650 is pretty good, but I did have to go through 3 of them to get that. I don't use the Treo for e-mail or internet since I am constantly at my computer (video production editor) and if needed, my Tungsten has wi-fi. I guess my question is, what should I be doing with the Treo that would justify it over my Tungsten C and a new cell phone? It's a great device, but it might be wasted on me. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.
    Sorry it didn't work out for you. Perhaps you can get money back on your investment by selling it in the marketplace forum.