Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. toofgoo's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #1  
    Okay...so here's an oddball that I haven't seen or heard about before.

    I am checking out the March Madness on tv yesterday, when I hear my Treo in the middle of a reset and powering the "phone" back on. Nothing too unusual, as this, obviously, happens quite often and happens to me about once every other day.

    Here's the odd part, tho. Later on I checked the Treo and, POOF, my Zlauncer indicated that it was not authorized to run....my Versamail accounts were wiped out...my Verichat info was gone...however, other personal settings were just fine.

    I've been spending the day trying to get everything back...getting license numbers and redowloading apps, etc.

    Any ideas what may have happened here? I would really, really love not having to do this again.

    Thanks, all!
  2. #2  
    A Treo really should not reset daily. You either have a third party software conflict or a third party piece of software that is unstable. Sounds like you lost your preferences file.

    If the resets get annoying enough, try a clean install -- adding back only one third party software at a time, run for a day, then install the next -- until you find the offending party.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...85&postcount=8

    A back up program to an SD card can also, save you much work. . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
  3. toofgoo's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #3  
    thanks for the help, perry! it's greatly appreciated...

    I've been okay with the "every other day" resets...and I probably exaggerate a little on that, too. Mostly, it always seemed to be either Docs to go or Verichat...but, as i need them so much for work, I can't really do without, so i've been okay...

    ...but this last one...have you heard of that? It was like a "partial" hard reset happened....certain 3rd party apps acted like they had just been installed (Butler, Phone tech, Zlauncher all requested a "license code", although I had legally input those months ago, and my network settings were changed slightly but my address book was fine...i have just never seen or heard of this?

    ideas?

    again, thank you!
  4. #4  
    It sounds as though you lost your "saved preferences" file during the reset... a common happening among Treo users who are testing the limits of the device. Search for threads on "saved preferences". Also, get the PrefDoctor file from Hobbyiest Software... it saves the "saved prefs" during resets, so you are back to original.

    And follow Perry's advice of doing a cleanup every once in a while. As we install and delete stuff, the Saved Prefs file can get botched up, just like a Windows registery.

    good luck.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by toofgoo
    thanks for the help, perry! it's greatly appreciated...

    I've been okay with the "every other day" resets...and I probably exaggerate a little on that, too. Mostly, it always seemed to be either Docs to go or Verichat...but, as i need them so much for work, I can't really do without, so i've been okay...

    ...but this last one...have you heard of that? It was like a "partial" hard reset happened....certain 3rd party apps acted like they had just been installed (Butler, Phone tech, Zlauncher all requested a "license code", although I had legally input those months ago, and my network settings were changed slightly but my address book was fine...i have just never seen or heard of this?

    ideas?

    again, thank you!
    As Perry said, your Saved_Preferences file got hosed. This is where your registration numbers are kept. As to what the cause is, could be anything really.

    Personally, in my case VeriCrash took my Treo down at least once a day, so I no longer use it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuber
    It sounds as though you lost your "saved preferences" file during the reset... a common happening among Treo users who are testing the limits of the device. Search for threads on "saved preferences". Also, get the PrefDoctor file from Hobbyiest Software... it saves the "saved prefs" during resets, so you are back to original.

    And follow Perry's advice of doing a cleanup every once in a while. As we install and delete stuff, the Saved Prefs file can get botched up, just like a Windows registery.

    good luck.
    Restoring his Saved Preferences will get his info back, but unfortunately won't solve the issue of resetting.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. toofgoo's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate all of the help...

    I think i will do the clean up more often now...and i will look into PrefDoctor file...

    ....again, thank you all!

    I am going to try to live without VeriChat for a week or so and see how much the reboots decrease...see if that helps...
  8. #8  
    So weird.. Verichat hasn't so much as *burped* on my Treo. Funny. A Certain Email program I won't trash on any more since I'm trying not to be a ***** about it locks my Treo up so bad I have to hard reset to continue, but Verichat works flawlessly.

    Strange stuff.. Maybe Verichat eventually hoses up its own files and gets flakey, and that hasn't happened yet?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    So weird.. Verichat hasn't so much as *burped* on my Treo. Funny. A Certain Email program I won't trash on any more since I'm trying not to be a ***** about it locks my Treo up so bad I have to hard reset to continue, but Verichat works flawlessly.

    Strange stuff.. Maybe Verichat eventually hoses up its own files and gets flakey, and that hasn't happened yet?
    Probably any program that's running in the background is a train wreck waiting to happen. The certain email app you mention works to near perfection on my Treo, but not for you. Verichat on the other hand kills my Treo, and yours is fine. Probably a combination of things in the end...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Probably any program that's running in the background is a train wreck waiting to happen. The certain email app you mention works to near perfection on my Treo, but not for you. Verichat on the other hand kills my Treo, and yours is fine. Probably a combination of things in the end...

    MUNK for Ambassador !!



    (To where I am not sure, but WOW.)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    MUNK for Ambassador !!



    (To where I am not sure, but WOW.)
    I believe I have a seat at the PPR Embassy.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12. #12  
    Toofgoo,

    Now that your saved preferences were wiped, I would suggest that you don't restore it, and just go in and retype all the registration codes and manually re-enter any lost preferences. After you do this, I bet your resets decrease significantly. If you have already restored your saved prefs from a backup, DELETE it and re-enter eveything manually.

    I had problems since day 1 with my 650 (Jan. 2, 2005)...that is until November, 2005, when I decided to delete my saved preferences file and retype all the registration codes and lost preferences. Where nary a day went by without multiple resets, often some wiping my saved prefs (and I'd restore, of course!) I read somewhere in the message boards that saved preferences can get corrupted, and cause resets. Well, it turns out it did, and now I only get resets on 2 occasions...

    1. Approx. once a week
    2. One or two within 24 hours after removing/changing an SD card (various apps do this, probably a bug in one of the 3rd party apps).


    My 3rd party apps installed in RAM include:
    Voice Dial-It - Is listed as cause of crash about once a month
    VeriChat - Random crash less than once a week (never listed as cause of crash, but suspect reset is caused by a LED-access conflict on incoming SMS messages, PdaApps is working on a solution)
    Snapper - Is listed as cause of crash about twice a month
    Butler - never listed as cause of a crash
    Call Filter - Is listed as cause of crash less than once a month
    CrashPro
    PocketTunes - Is listed as cause of crash less than once a month
    PXAClocker - only activate this when needed (i.e., not used enough to pay to register it)
    Documnents To Go - version 7
    TCPMP - Never crashes!
    Bluetooth Headset - Motorola 805
    BackupMan - set to backup every other night - never crashes since wiping saved preferences.


    Oh, and I never had to remove any of these apps to overcome the resets, just removed the saved preferences and re-entered all the necessary info manually.

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  13. toofgoo's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #13  
    Thanks HandyDJs....

    You know...I did exactly that...just went in and re-entered everything...and my resets have been non existant....still have the same programs on that I did before...but i've been going on several days now w/o a reset.

    Normally, I would have at least had 1 or 2....

    You may be onto something here!

    Now...if i could just figure out how to get Uninstaller to uninstall Ringo...then I could redownload that....

    THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by toofgoo; 03/22/2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added something...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuber
    It sounds as though you lost your "saved preferences" file during the reset... a common happening among Treo users who are testing the limits of the device. Search for threads on "saved preferences". Also, get the PrefDoctor file from Hobbyiest Software... it saves the "saved prefs" during resets, so you are back to original.

    And follow Perry's advice of doing a cleanup every once in a while. As we install and delete stuff, the Saved Prefs file can get botched up, just like a Windows registery.

    good luck.


    I was one of the comepletely reset free folks until about two weeks ago, when I installed both Butler and Phone Technician. It is interesting that Hobbyist software is the one who makes this saved pref file since it seems Butler is so often implicated as the potential culprit. My saved prefs gets wiped with each reset and I restore it from a prior with Resco backup.

    I have reduced the resets significantly (1 in 2 days) by removing phone technician and turning off the Butler keyguard feature. A lot of my resets were when I was waking the screen up, & these are now gone. I also installed a neat little program called PrefEd with which I went into the saved prefs file and deleted the prefs from files I knew I had previously deleted, including phone technician.

    We'll see how it goes. If I get another reset, I am going to go in and delete specifically all the Butler prefs and see how that goes.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    I was oIt is interesting that Hobbyist software is the one who makes this saved pref file since it seems Butler is so often implicated as the potential culprit. My saved prefs gets wiped with each reset and I restore it from a prior with Resco backup.
    Not 100% sure what you mean here, but Saved_preferences is not created by Butler. It is basically the "registry" of the Palm OS.

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by toofgoo
    Thanks HandyDJs....

    You know...I did exactly that...just went in and re-entered everything...and my resets have been non existant....still have the same programs on that I did before...but i've been going on several days now w/o a reset.

    Normally, I would have at least had 1 or 2....

    You may be onto something here!

    THANK YOU!!
    Simple as that. You're welcome!

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    Not 100% sure what you mean here, but Saved_preferences is not created by Butler. It is basically the "registry" of the Palm OS.

    sorry about the confusion,
    I was talking about the little Beta program "prefdoctor", which I have now installed, and love. It works great and I take back that I accused "confusedvorlon" of being the cause of resets with Butler. Anyway, now that I use PrefDoctor, I don't worry about them much, and since I made the changes I mention above, my resets have been much less frequent, one every 2 or 3 days.

    Here is the manuel for the program: LINK TO PREFDR. MANUEL

    Here is the link to the program, I highly recommend it to people with recurrent reset problems( You will see it on the bottom of the page): PrefDoctor

    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  18. #19  
    Use a Filemanager and copy saved prefs and unsaved prefs to your sd card.

    Recopy every time you install a new program.

    Then if you crash again just use the filemanager to copy the 2 files back to the treo.

Posting Permissions